Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 636 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:HBS
 Q48  V42
WE 1: Management Consulting- 2 years
WE 2: Private Equity- 2 years
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 748 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Finance
 Q49  V19 GMAT 2: 620  Q44  V31
WE 1: 6 Year, Telecom(GSM)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2930 [2]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618824 [2]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Re: Distance to Line/Point on Coordinate Plane- please help! [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
jjewkes wrote:
I have seen several questions that seem to test the same principle, but which I always miss. They all are something like this: What is the distance from some point (x,y) to some line on the coordinate plane. I have also seen this version: what is the distance from a circle with the center at the origin and radius of 1 to some line. I know the distance formula but do not know how to calculate distance from a point to a line, or how to figure out where the shortest distance may be.

Can someone help me understand this???

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Please note that it's highly unlikely that you'll need this for GMAT.

DISTANCE BETWEEN THE LINE AND POINT:
Line: \(ay+bx+c=0\), point \((x_1,y_1)\)

\(d=\frac{|ay_1+bx_1+c|}{\sqrt{a^2+b^2}}\)

DISTANCE BETWEEN THE LINE AND ORIGIN:
As origin is \((0,0)\) -->

\(d=\frac{|c|}{\sqrt{a^2+b^2}}\)

Question about "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN THE CIRCLE AND THE LINE": tough-tricky-set-of-problms-85211.html#p638361 There are two solutions for this problem, one uses the formula above and another right triangle properties and basics of coordinate geometry.

Hope it helps.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jjewkes wrote:
I have seen several questions that seem to test the same principle, but which I always miss. They all are something like this: What is the distance from some point (x,y) to some line on the coordinate plane. I have also seen this version: what is the distance from a circle with the center at the origin and radius of 1 to some line. I know the distance formula but do not know how to calculate distance from a point to a line, or how to figure out where the shortest distance may be.

I'd point out that while I've seen the occasional prep company question that asks about distances from points to lines, I've never, in ten years in this field, seen a real GMAT question that does. So while memorizing formulas like the one in the posts above might help you on a high school coordinate geometry test, it is extremely unlikely to make any difference on the GMAT.

And if you were given some point (a, b) and some line y = mx + c, and asked to find the perpendicular distance from (a,b) to the line, you could always:

* find the equation of the line perpendicular to y = mx + c which contains (a,b). That line has a slope of -1/m, and you can find its y-intercept by plugging in the point

* now find where the first line and its perpendicular intersect by solving the two equations together - that will be at some point (d,e)

* find the distance from (d,e) to (a,b) to get the answer

Following those steps, you can derive the formula in the posts above. You may well need to do one of the three things above in a question, but you're very unlikely to need to do all three, so I think it's vastly preferable to learn each concept individually rather than memorizing formulas that you'll most likely never have occasion to use.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 656 [0]
Given Kudos: 194
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2013
Send PM
Distance to Line/Point on Coordinate Plane- please help! [#permalink]
IanStewart wrote:
jjewkes wrote:

I'd point out that while I've seen the occasional prep company question that asks about distances from points to lines, I've never, in ten years in this field, seen a real GMAT question that does. So while memorizing formulas like the one in the posts above might help you on a high school coordinate geometry test, it is extremely unlikely to make any difference on the GMAT.

And if you were given some point (a, b) and some line y = mx + c, and asked to find the perpendicular distance from (a,b) to the line, you could always:

* find the equation of the line perpendicular to y = mx + c which contains (a,b). That line has a slope of -1/m, and you can find its y-intercept by plugging in the point

* now find where the first line and its perpendicular intersect by solving the two equations together - that will be at some point (d,e)

* find the distance from (d,e) to (a,b) to get the answer

Following those steps, you can derive the formula in the posts above. You may well need to do one of the three things above in a question, but you're very unlikely to need to do all three, so I think it's vastly preferable to learn each concept individually rather than memorizing formulas that you'll most likely never have occasion to use.

Ian, I had this question on my Real GMAT last month. Of course, there could have some back-solving way, but I have not seen such and numbers were ugly.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92900 posts