GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Aug 2018, 13:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Distinguish b/w a permutation problem and a combination problem.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Distinguish b/w a permutation problem and a combination problem.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2015, 05:38
I find its really tough to do P&C problems. How do i find whether it is a permutation or a combination problem? Should i look for any key words in the question stem?

I have three questions. Is there any general rule to find which one is permutation and which one is combination?

1. How many different license plates can be made by using either 3 digits or 3 letters assuming that you can use only odd digits and vowels? Repetition is not allowed.

2. How many 3 letter words can be formed from the alphabets A-F such that the word contains 1 vowel and 2 consonants? Repetition is not allowed and the words need not make sense.

3. How many 4-letter words can be formed using the alphabets of the word ENGLISH, if it is given that the 4-letter word contains alphabets G and L and repetition of alphabets is not allowed?

Press KUDOs if you find my explanation helpful

Math Expert
V
Distinguish b/w a permutation problem and a combination problem.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2015, 09:21
I find its really tough to do P&C problems. How do i find whether it is a permutation or a combination problem? Should i look for any key words in the question stem?

hi,
at times the wording of the question does tell you what to use..
1) if the Q asks you to find combinations, selection, order not important, etc you got to use combinations formula...a!/b!(a-b)!...
2) if the Q asks you to find permutations, arrangements, order important, etc you got to use permutations formula...a!/(a-b)!..

I have three questions. Is there any general rule to find which one is permutation and which one is combination?

1. How many different license plates can be made by using either 3 digits or 3 letters assuming that you can use only odd digits and vowels? Repetition is not allowed.
order is important as 315 will give different plate from 153... so permutation

2. How many 3 letter words can be formed from the alphabets A-F such that the word contains 1 vowel and 2 consonants? Repetition is not allowed and the words need not make sense.
same as 1 order is important .. first it will be ways of choosing these vowel and consonants so combination but then arranging them will involve in permutation that is these ways will be multiplied by 3!

3. How many 4-letter words can be formed using the alphabets of the word ENGLISH, if it is given that the 4-letter word contains alphabets G and L and repetition of alphabets is not allowed?
for this first you find the ways to choose the two alphabets and then 4! to arrange thes..
G and L already chosen.. so 2 out of 5=5C2=10...
these 4 can be arranged in 4! ways
ans=10*4!...

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Distinguish b/w a permutation problem and a combination problem.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2015, 11:53
Hi TARGET730,

Permutations and Combinations are relatively rare categories on Test Day. You'll probably see at least 1 of each, but even if you're performing really well in the Quant section you like won't see more than 2-3 of each.

The 'big' difference between these two question types is about 'order' - when reading through the question, you have to ask yourself IF order 'matters'. If it does, then it's a Permutation question; if it does NOT, then it's a Combination question. Thankfully, the questions themselves often offer clues (e.g. the word "arrangement" means Permutation, the word "combinations" means Combination).

All 3 of the examples that you provided are clearly about putting elements in "order": forming license plates or making words is an 'order-specific event.'

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Manager
Manager
Re: Distinguish b/w a permutation problem and a combination problem.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2015, 05:49
Great Explanation. Thanks Rick and chetan. I think i should practise more similar questions

Press KUDOs if you find my explanation helpful

Manager
Manager
MISSION : 800
WE: Design (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2015, 06:16
Hi
For the 1st question
is it (5p3) + 5!
..??????????

Thank you

+KUDOS

> I CAN, I WILL <

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2015, 06:27
@dpo28 wrote:
Hi
For the 1st question
is it (5p3) + 5!
..??????????

hi dpo28,
the question is...

what is the requirement? firstly it will have either odd digits or vowels.. lets take one by one as both are independent...
1) odd digits... 5.. choose 3 out of them but order is imp.. 5P3=5C3*3!...
2) vowels.. 5.. choose three but again order important... 5P3=5C3*3!..
total ways =5C3*3!+5C3*3!=5C3*3!*2=5!..answer

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2015, 18:32
Hi dpo28,

Based on the description in the first example, you can use EITHER 3 numbers (1,3,5,7,9) with NO repeats OR you can use 3 vowels (A,E,I,O,U) with NO repeats.

With a license plate, there is an ORDER to the characters (and the order DOES matter), so we have a permutation.

With just numbers, and 3 "spots" we would have....
5 options for the first 'spot'; once we place a number, we then have....
4 options for the second 'spot'; once we place a number, we then have...
3 options for the third 'spot;
(5)(4)(3) = 60 different licenses with numbers

With just vowels, we have the exact same mathematical situation: 5 vowels and 3 "spots":

5 options for the first 'spot'; once we place a vowel, we then have....
4 options for the second 'spot'; once we place a vowel, we then have...
3 options for the third 'spot;
(5)(4)(3) = 60 different licenses with vowels

60+60 = 120 total licenses under these restrictions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2018, 00:01
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: Distinguish b/w a permutation problem and a combination problem. &nbs [#permalink] 29 Jan 2018, 00:01

Distinguish b/w a permutation problem and a combination problem.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap