GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 04 Jul 2020, 05:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Distinguishing between when to use Present Perfect or simple past

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Distinguishing between when to use Present Perfect or simple past  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2020, 05:23
I need a little help from our verbal experts as to where to use simple past or present perfect.
Precisely, when it comes to usage in our day to day conversations, we often see that these are interchangable.
Consider the following example

George ate all his dinner

George has eaten all his dinner

Both sentences look grammatically correct.

Can anyone help me with the concept?
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Distinguishing between when to use Present Perfect or simple past  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2020, 05:54
Prithwish093 wrote:
I need a little help from our verbal experts as to where to use simple past or present perfect.
Precisely, when it comes to usage in our day to day conversations, we often see that these are interchangable.

Simple past is used for events that started in the past and ended in the past. Present perfect is used for events that started in the past but either it continues to the present or it still affects the present. George has eaten all his dinner. means that the fact that he has already eaten dinner continues to have its effect in the present. For example, if you intend to say that Goerge is not hungry now because he ate dinner, you might use present perfect. tense.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Schools: Sloan '22, ISB, IIM
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 4
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Distinguishing between when to use Present Perfect or simple past  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2020, 08:28
Prithwish093 wrote:

each of the sentences is correct on its own or each sentence conveys a logical idea. Basically I can any use a verb tense based on the situation.
GMAT also tests whether one can understand the situation and pick a sentence with a verb tense that conveys the logical meaning.
In sentences testing verb tense, it is important to understand the meaning conveyed by a sentence. Grammar will not be an issue in most of these sentences.
A logical meaning will lead to correct answer.
another thing to note is in such sentences there usually is another verb present that conveys a separate idea, looking at both ideas we'll have to decide which verb tense makes most sense.
VP
VP
V
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE: Project Management (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2020, 19:57
Same thread was published around 2 years back.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/sc-regarding ... l#p2074218
Also you can can refer to Manhattan's SC guide. They have given great examples of where to use simple past and where to use past perfect.

Keep it simple. Keep it blank
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Distinguishing between when to use Present Perfect or simple past   [#permalink] 24 May 2020, 19:57

Distinguishing between when to use Present Perfect or simple past

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics