It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 06:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Do B-schools have email blacklists?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [1], given: 2

Schools: HBS, Kellogg, MIT, Cornell, Texas, SMU, Washington (Olin)
Do B-schools have email blacklists? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2009, 19:47
This post received
KUDOS
Before I interviewed at a school, I sent emails to several students in clubs I was interested in. Everyone replied promptly.

Shortly after the interview, I sent a series of follow-up emails. Nobody responded. This seemed strange.

Has anyone else had something similar happen? Do B-schools circulate an "email blacklist" to their students?

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 31

Schools: Kellogg '11
Re: Do B-schools have email blacklists? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2009, 19:49
Interesting. Hasn't happened to me. Did you send your follow-up emails around exam time? if so, am wondering if they got lost in that shuffle...

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 31

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 762 [0], given: 5

Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2009, 20:19
We definitely dont get lists of emails to avoid. Though students will talk amongst themselves if someone is especially annoying. Also sometimes you get an applicant that asks way too much, like a list of 50 questions...or extremely generic ones that seem like fishing since they have no clue about the school. Students are free to respond as many times or as few of times as they want.

Don't take it personally there are days I get 100 emails and things get lost in the shuffle very quickly. Especially during exams or recruiting when you have a million other things going on. I try to get back to most people, but there are some people who get very short answers and some people get blown off quickly. Students are usually pretty good about judging fit and sometimes if they dont feel you fit they wont go out of their way to sway you into applying or attending.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 25

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2009, 21:56
Don't worry about it man. If they don't respond, it's no biggie.

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 25

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society

Kudos [?]: 2193 [0], given: 7

Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2009, 07:16
Our email blacklist isn't updated until after each round, so I wouldn't worry. Just kiddin. There is no blacklist.

That doesn't mean people always reply, just watch what you ask and how you ask it. A guy a while back asked me to read his essays and comment, and he kept referring to the school by the wrong name in his essays. I can't say I found that particularly motivating to find the time to help him.

Also, leadership roles may have recently turned over to 1st years, so its just possible they are going into the void because they are reaching a totally different set of people who either don't know what to reply, haven't sorted out who is going to reply, etc.

Kudos [?]: 2193 [0], given: 7

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Schools: HBS, Kellogg, MIT, Cornell, Texas, SMU, Washington (Olin)

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2009, 15:30
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks -- I guess a little paranoia sets in after six months of apps.

Texas is really making me wait out what I assume will be a rejection, it's no fun.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2009, 17:54
rhyme wrote:
A guy a while back asked me to read his essays and comment, and he kept referring to the school by the wrong name in his essays. I can't say I found that particularly motivating to find the time to help him.

You read the essays? Someone emails me with essays that I dont know then I dont think I would waste my time. I find that very rude...I mean I read essays for some folks on here but thats different than some unknown person emailing me.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 223 [0], given: 6

Schools: NYU Stern 2009

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2009, 20:28
We had someone send the same email to eight people who clearly would be able to speak to each other. Demanding a response ASAP, using capitals, bold, colors and everything. It was pretty amazing.

I dare say he won't be attending school here.

It is worth bearing in mind that the information network at a school can work very efficiently if you piss people off, and they can go out of their way to make life difficult for you. It is very, very rare though. I can only think of the one event that really overstepped the mark, and I have read or answered over 1000 emails this year. So don't worry, just people are busy and sometimes don't know what they got themselves into. It is tricky to answer all the emails.

Kudos [?]: 223 [0], given: 6

Re: Do B-schools have email blacklists?   [#permalink] 08 Apr 2009, 20:28

Do B-schools have email blacklists?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, aeropower, bb10

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap