It is currently 20 Jan 2018, 10:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Do bschools ask for payslips once admitted?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Do bschools ask for payslips once admitted? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2017, 00:40
Hey Guys,

I have 3 years of work ex in a media company. After which I joined a startup with a very low salary(its a startup and hence i dont mind the low salary). The startup is registered but doesn't send official payslips like how big companies send out each month. I can get a letter from the company confirming my work ex and salary/month

Will colleges accept this letter in place of payslips? Do colleges need payslips when admitted?

Retired Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 1000 [0], given: 682

GRE 1: 323 Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Do bschools ask for payslips once admitted? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2017, 01:05
rahuliyerchennai wrote:
Hey Guys,

I have 3 years of work ex in a media company. After which I joined a startup with a very low salary(its a startup and hence i dont mind the low salary). The startup is registered but doesn't send official payslips like how big companies send out each month. I can get a letter from the company confirming my work ex and salary/month

Will colleges accept this letter in place of payslips? Do colleges need payslips when admitted?

I work for my family business and as of today I haven't cared about the payslips.Although,officially I am on a contractual basis and can generate that when needed.

To be specific here -> Unless you made fallacious claims in your apps -> DO not fret about it.
The schools understand that its the real world -> And sometimes "life" happens.

All the best
Stone Cold

Give me a hell yeah ...!!!!!

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2017, 01:42
Thanks stonecold

There is nothing fallacious in my apps. Its just that I don't have playslips and neither can the startup generate official payslips. I can just get a letter on a company letterhead

Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2017, 02:04
rahuliyerchennai wrote:
Thanks stonecold

There is nothing fallacious in my apps. Its just that I don't have playslips and neither can the startup generate official payslips. I can just get a letter on a company letterhead

Okay.
Here is what I recommend (I would have done the same)-> Shoot the Adcoms at the concerned school a mail.
I am absolutely certain that they will understand.
Its a real world out there.They are aware about it all.

Do let us know the outcome.

Best
Stone Cold

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Stratus Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 93 [2], given: 45

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2017, 07:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
rahuliyerchennai wrote:
Hey Guys,

This is a really good question- and I suspect the answer can differ by school. I do think it can be trickier for entrepreneurs and those in start ups as there is less of an "official" paper trail. In most cases- I don't see this in particular as an issue as long as you have a contact at the company that can vouch for your work there. But this is something that all folks with a startup or non-traditional background should think about on the FRONT end of the application. If you were working in an unpaid role- may be best to state that in the fine print in the app somewhere so it does not come back to bite you on the back end. The most important thing is not HOW much money you were making- but that you were truthful in presenting what you were doing. So don't fudge anything- as the school when making the admissions decision is really looking at the quality of the work more than the salary. Although sometimes salary will help them assess your progression- you just want to make sure you present yourself in a way that you can substantiate if asked on the back end. Congrats on your acceptance and hope it all works out! The other thing I wish all schools did was to quickly move through the background checks so that if something does blow up- it blows up early so the applicant has time to pivot.

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Kudos [?]: 93 [2], given: 45

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 1000 [1], given: 682

Do bschools ask for payslips once admitted? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2017, 07:45
This post received
KUDOS
StratusMBACounselor wrote:
rahuliyerchennai wrote:
Hey Guys,

This is a really good question- and I suspect the answer can differ by school. I do think it can be trickier for entrepreneurs and those in start ups as there is less of an "official" paper trail. In most cases- I don't see this in particular as an issue as long as you have a contact at the company that can vouch for your work there. But this is something that all folks with a startup or non-traditional background should think about on the FRONT end of the application. If you were working in an unpaid role- may be best to state that in the fine print in the app somewhere so it does not come back to bite you on the back end. The most important thing is not HOW much money you were making- but that you were truthful in presenting what you were doing. So don't fudge anything- as the school when making the admissions decision is really looking at the quality of the work more than the salary. Although sometimes salary will help them assess your progression- you just want to make sure you present yourself in a way that you can substantiate if asked on the back end. Congrats on your acceptance and hope it all works out! The other thing I wish all schools did was to quickly move through the background checks so that if something does blow up- it blows up early so the applicant has time to pivot.

I could not agree more.Plus no matter how sedulously you articulate your Application -> At some point everyone is a bit worried about the Background checks.
There is a real world out there and I think the Ad-coms know that.

Kudos [?]: 1000 [1], given: 682

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 12:04
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks a lot guys for your guidance. Will keep you posted on this :-)

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 3

Re: Do bschools ask for payslips once admitted?   [#permalink] 17 Dec 2017, 12:04

Do bschools ask for payslips once admitted?

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap