GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Sep 2018, 00:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Do i have a shot at Msc Finance/Finance & Accounting at LSE?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Do i have a shot at Msc Finance/Finance & Accounting at LSE?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2017, 02:39
Hi all
I have seen a few of these threads recently and was hoping someone with any experience or knowledge could offer some advice.
I recently graduated this summer with a First in International Management China and am hoping to apply for the MSc in MSc Finance/Finance & Accounting at LSE. I have rung LSE myself with queries relating to how I can prove my quantitative skill and whether it is worth me applying (given that management isn't a highly quantitative course). All advice/recommendations were rather vague. Any and all advice/help from gmatclub on whether or not I am, at least, a viable candidate is much appreciated:

International Management China 2012-17 (First, Honours), SOAS university (lots of finance/accounting/economics courses)
ACTs 33/36 (American high school exam)
Experience gained during banking/trading and asset management internships in HK/Beijing/London
I currently manage a portfolio of stocks, trade forex and am a CFA level 1 candidate. experience running a small business.

my transcript looks good but I am worried about an econometrics module during my first year which I got a Third (49%) in....hopefully that won't be too important....
My main worry is that, although i've heard of successful candidates from non-quantitative backgrounds getting offers, my own application (at least for Msc Finance if not Msc Finance and Accounting) may be rejected because my first degree was not highly quantitative.

I've prepared my references and personal statement accordingly and am now just waiting for my GMAT test later this month (hoping for 700 and Q49 at least). In the past, have LSE courses in Finance/Accounting closed by January or can i afford to 'leave' it til then and apply after my GMAT?
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Do i have a shot at Msc Finance/Finance & Accounting at LSE?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2017, 17:04
Would just like to bump this thread. Urgently seeking advice. Any and all help much appreciated.

Also, merry christmas guys and girls.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 04:27
Hey there,

Here are some pointers regarding your profile:

Having a strong undergrad helps,hence an honours degree in management will add value to your application . You have not really mentioned your GPA - More information about it would be helpful in evaluating your profile.

Your work experience is pretty interesting. Asset management internships and CFA certification can help highlight your interest in finance. Managing a small business would give you a more holistic profile. These are the experiences that LSE appreciates.

You need not worry about your econometrics module, the admissions committee would look at your overall grade rather than your performance a single subject.
Further, they would really be more interested in your internships and any extra-curricular activities that you may have undertaken.

Again, don’t worry too much about your first degree not being highly quantitative. The adcoms will be more interested in what you have done in the last 2 years, and if you have a clear goal.

A lot depends on how well you present your application and showcase why you are an ideal candidate for LSE.

Your Statement of Purpose is of paramount importance If you want to get into LSE. You can check out some tips on how you can write a great essay/SoP here: http://www.mim-essay.com/mim-essay-editing/

Abhyank Srinet
Founder at http://www.MiM-Essay.com

MSc. in Management(MiM) Admission Consultants

Get consultation from graduates of HEC, ESCP, ESSEC, LBS & Duke

Feel free to message me, if you have any MiM/MSc. related questions or want a detailed Free profile evaluation

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 10:58
Abhyank wrote:
Hey there,

Here are some pointers regarding your profile:

Having a strong undergrad helps,hence an honours degree in management will add value to your application . You have not really mentioned your GPA - More information about it would be helpful in evaluating your profile.

Your work experience is pretty interesting. Asset management internships and CFA certification can help highlight your interest in finance. Managing a small business would give you a more holistic profile. These are the experiences that LSE appreciates.

You need not worry about your econometrics module, the admissions committee would look at your overall grade rather than your performance a single subject.
Further, they would really be more interested in your internships and any extra-curricular activities that you may have undertaken.

Again, don’t worry too much about your first degree not being highly quantitative. The adcoms will be more interested in what you have done in the last 2 years, and if you have a clear goal.

A lot depends on how well you present your application and showcase why you are an ideal candidate for LSE.

Your Statement of Purpose is of paramount importance If you want to get into LSE. You can check out some tips on how you can write a great essay/SoP here: http://www.mim-essay.com/mim-essay-editing/

Thank you very much for your reply! was kind of giving up by this point....
I have a First Class degree from the UK and our system is not perfectly convertible to the US GPA standard. But a First (78% overall) is roughly equivalent to a GPA of 3.8-4.0.
Thanks a lot, it does certainly seem that the personal statement and cv are very important. Do you have experience in applying to/for lse/finance?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Do i have a shot at Msc Finance/Finance & Accounting at LSE? &nbs [#permalink] 18 Jan 2018, 10:58

Do i have a shot at Msc Finance/Finance & Accounting at LSE?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap