GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 11:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

03:00 PM EST

04:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

Does GMAt SC include the misuse of Commas, colon, and semi-colon ?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Does GMAt SC include the misuse of Commas, colon, and semi-colon ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 04:21
Dear friends,

Does GMAt Sentence Correction questions include the misuse of Commas, colon, and semi-colon ? Cause I have been doing some GMAT exercises through the network, and find one website providing such questions, although it doesnt seem to be exist in my Kaplan book!

Please advise.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GPA: 3.57
Reviews Badge
Re: Does GMAt SC include the misuse of Commas, colon, and semi-colon ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 05:46
abdultam wrote:
Dear friends,

Does GMAt Sentence Correction questions include the misuse of Commas, colon, and semi-colon ? Cause I have been doing some GMAT exercises through the network, and find one website providing such questions, although it doesnt seem to be exist in my Kaplan book!

Please advise.

Can you cite an example so it becomes clear what exactly you are trying to clarify.

Please hit Kudos if this post helped you inch closer to your GMAT goal.
Procrastination is the termite constantly trying to eat your GMAT tree from the inside.
There is one fix to every problem, working harder!

Director
Director
V
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Does GMAt SC include the misuse of Commas, colon, and semi-colon ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 07:30
Do you mean you are coming across a comma just after the penultimate item & before "and" (in a list of items).

For example: Please bring me a pencil, eraser, and notebook.

Note that the Oxford comma comes right after eraser. The Oxford (or serial) comma is the final comma in a list of things.

"Please hit :thumbup: +1 Kudos if you like this post" :student_man:

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"

VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 08:18
Hi Abdul, couple of instances that are quite frequently tested:

i) Usage of comma: When two Independent clauses are connected by only a comma, the construct is called run-on sentence, an incorrect sentence.

ii) Usage of semi-colon: The correct usage of semi-colon is to either connect two Independent clauses or to connect phrases where each phrase itself is a list of elements. In instances other than these, the usage of semi-colon is likely to be incorrect.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 23:34
jedit wrote:
abdultam wrote:
Dear friends,

Please advise.

Can you cite an example so it becomes clear what exactly you are trying to clarify.

Dear Jedit,

see the following example:

His collection of World War II memorabilia was one of the largest in the town, he had been collecting these items for many years.

Possible Answers:
one of the largest in the town he had been collecting these items for many years.

one of the largest in the town; he had been collecting these items for many years.

one of the largest in the town he had been collecting these items for: many years.

one of the largest in the town, he had been collecting these items for: many years.

one of the largest in the town, he had been collecting these items for many years.

Correct answer:
one of the largest in the town; he had been collecting these items for many years.

Explanation:
This sentence misuses a comma. This sentence combines two independent clauses without the use of a conjunction. The necessary punctuation for this spot is a semicolon, which should appear after the word "town." No additional punctuation is needed. The correct choice is, "one of the largest in the town; he had been collecting these items for many years."

does such example come on the real test ?

Thanks
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 23:56
CAMANISHPARMAR wrote:
Do you mean you are coming across a comma just after the penultimate item & before "and" (in a list of items).

For example: Please bring me a pencil, eraser, and notebook.

Note that the Oxford comma comes right after eraser. The Oxford (or serial) comma is the final comma in a list of things.

Your example is a great one. It is similar to many similar questions I came accross. Thus, does such questions come on the real test ?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 00:01
EducationAisle wrote:
Hi Abdul, couple of instances that are quite frequently tested:

i) Usage of comma: When two Independent clauses are connected by only a comma, the construct is called run-on sentence, an incorrect sentence.

ii) Usage of semi-colon: The correct usage of semi-colon is to either connect two Independent clauses or to connect phrases where each phrase itself is a list of elements. In instances other than these, the usage of semi-colon is likely to be incorrect.

Yes, there are many questions that involve the details you've mentioned above. My question is whether the test makers of GMAT take into consideration such questions ? In other word, does the real GMAT present SC questions that include such errors?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Does GMAt SC include the misuse of Commas, colon, and semi-colon ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 03:24
Heeeey friends I need your help where have you been ?
GMAT Club Bot
Does GMAt SC include the misuse of Commas, colon, and semi-colon ? &nbs [#permalink] 16 Jul 2018, 03:24

Does GMAt SC include the misuse of Commas, colon, and semi-colon ?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap