It is currently 18 Aug 2017, 11:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Don't lose hope is the moral of the story ...660 and made it to ISB

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [4] , given: 2

Don't lose hope is the moral of the story ...660 and made it to ISB [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2016, 00:43
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
After long pondering and planning to study in best business school, I decided to give GMAT on 27th July 2015, I had studied a lot for GMAT exam and made sure not to leave any stone unturned. I was getting the score in range of 690 to 730 in Mocks, however while giving exam I could not keep control on my nerves and GMAT caught me … the exam won and I lost… seeing a score sub 700 was heartbreaking and disappointing... I can do better than this ... why me ?? why I have got this score??
I planned to give GMAT again but due to work and other commitment could not give GMAT again, so decided to apply with the same score… but I want to go to the best college, will this score be sufficient … everywhere on all forums .. only answer was not possible, I have good profile, good work experience and done quality work, but still answer was no.

I didn’t loose hope and started application for my dream college ISB. I attended few webinars conducted by ISB and read blogs on ISB site – they clearly said “GMAT is a part of application and we look at the holistically” – this was positive affirmation I needed, with full hope and confidence I started writing essay I had many interesting things to write … I didn’t know if what I have written is the best, so decide to consult someone.. I asked my senior in office to review essays – he read them – and his answer was not impressed... but I really had put in lots of effort in this :shock: … why are you not impressed :arh … decided to consult some admission consultant – after searching a lot and reading many posts…. Decided to call Gyanone … shared my profile and asked to review my essays… the first person in entire journey except ISB staff in their webinar, who said yes you can get admit to ISB … they gave me clear cut insights .. on what’s missing … resolved all my doubts and told not only essays every part of application is important… don’t leave anything blank … adcoms wants to know you ... tell them clearly what your goals are, what your accomplishments are .

After finishing essays and completing my application with a recommendation from my reporting manager, with whom I have been working from past 5 years, I submitted the application on 5th Jan’16 … and then the wait starts … I stayed positive and whatever little time I got I prepared for my interview … FINALLY got the call for interview … amazed and super happy :musband .. I got the call, 5 days before interview … I had already gone through various posts and seen many interview videos on youtube, however this was the chance I cannot loose .. no way :no – make it or make it … decided to again ask Gyanone for guidance … although I called them just 3 days before interview .. they supported me and conducted mocks that provided clear answers to what my weakness are… I worked on my weakness and strengths …attend the interview with full confidence and it went really well…
After interview, I started analyzing what I have done wrong… I could have done better… however still stayed positive started looking for year ahead … result got announced on 4th March’16 … I was in office didn’t checked ISB portal … reached home – opened the ISB portal, keeping all fingers crossed checked my result … “offered” .. read it thrice .. refreshed the page again to recheck …. I made it … :beer :punk :woohoo :banana
:done
Only three key points to keep in mind:
1. Stay positive and believe in yourself
2. ISB adcoms says that the look at profile holistically – they mean it – all the aspects of profile are important
3. Always take advice and guidance from best people around you – in my case many – my manager, friends and Gyanone … they kept the trust in me.

Last edited by akn on 13 Mar 2016, 01:01, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 6 [4] , given: 2

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 403

GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: Don't lose hope is the moral of the story ...660 and made it to ISB [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2016, 00:52
Congratulations !

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 403

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 162

WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Don't lose hope is the moral of the story ...660 and made it to ISB [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 02:57
This post received
KUDOS
akn wrote:
After long pondering and planning to study in best business school, I decided to give GMAT on 27th July 2015, I had studied a lot for GMAT exam and made sure not to leave any stone unturned. I was getting the score in range of 690 to 730 in Mocks, however while giving exam I could not keep control on my nerves and GMAT caught me … the exam won and I lost… seeing a score sub 700 was heartbreaking and disappointing... I can do better than this ... why me ?? why I have got this score??
I planned to give GMAT again but due to work and other commitment could not give GMAT again, so decided to apply with the same score… but I want to go to the best college, will this score be sufficient … everywhere on all forums .. only answer was not possible, I have good profile, good work experience and done quality work, but still answer was no.

I didn’t loose hope and started application for my dream college ISB. I attended few webinars conducted by ISB and read blogs on ISB site – they clearly said “GMAT is a part of application and we look at the holistically” – this was positive affirmation I needed, with full hope and confidence I started writing essay I had many interesting things to write … I didn’t know if what I have written is the best, so decide to consult someone.. I asked my senior in office to review essays – he read them – and his answer was not impressed... but I really had put in lots of effort in this :shock: … why are you not impressed :arh … decided to consult some admission consultant – after searching a lot and reading many posts…. Decided to call Gyanone … shared my profile and asked to review my essays… the first person in entire journey except ISB staff in their webinar, who said yes you can get admit to ISB … they gave me clear cut insights .. on what’s missing … resolved all my doubts and told not only essays every part of application is important… don’t leave anything blank … adcoms wants to know you ... tell them clearly what your goals are, what your accomplishments are .

After finishing essays and completing my application with a recommendation from my reporting manager, with whom I have been working from past 5 years, I submitted the application on 5th Jan’16 … and then the wait starts … I stayed positive and whatever little time I got I prepared for my interview … FINALLY got the call for interview … amazed and super happy :musband .. I got the call, 5 days before interview … I had already gone through various posts and seen many interview videos on youtube, however this was the chance I cannot loose .. no way :no – make it or make it … decided to again ask Gyanone for guidance … although I called them just 3 days before interview .. they supported me and conducted mocks that provided clear answers to what my weakness are… I worked on my weakness and strengths …attend the interview with full confidence and it went really well…
After interview, I started analyzing what I have done wrong… I could have done better… however still stayed positive started looking for year ahead … result got announced on 4th March’16 … I was in office didn’t checked ISB portal … reached home – opened the ISB portal, keeping all fingers crossed checked my result … “offered” .. read it thrice .. refreshed the page again to recheck …. I made it … :beer :punk :woohoo :banana
:done
Only three key points to keep in mind:
1. Stay positive and believe in yourself
2. ISB adcoms says that the look at profile holistically – they mean it – all the aspects of profile are important
3. Always take advice and guidance from best people around you – in my case many – my manager, friends and Gyanone … they kept the trust in me.

Wow ! Congratulations ! I am also preparing for GMAT. Started my preparations in Dec last year and intend to give my test by May end. I also WANT to get into ISB (2017 Batch). Could you please give a brief profile of yours.

I know you are not the right person to ask this but you have given hope to me.

[color=#0000ff]My profile is as follows:

I have 8yrs of work ex. - 1 yr -Steel Plant- Mech. Engg, 1yr Marketing Executive for a print media and then did my MBA (Marketing) from ICFAI (7.2 CGPA) and then 6 yrs in Management Consulting, Currently Senior Consultant, Corporate Advisory (Mott MacDonald) . I have been an average student during Btech (Due to various financial issues back then I had tough time completing my Btech in time but scored well in the last 4 semesters avg. 70%- overall 55%). Worked very hard to get into Management Consulting and I want to continue in the same field.

Now, I want an ISB edge to break into Strategy Consulting

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 162

Don't lose hope is the moral of the story ...660 and made it to ISB   [#permalink] 18 Mar 2016, 02:57