Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
Re: Done! 700 (Q48, V38)...ridiculous path to the 700 club.. [#permalink]
uvs_mba wrote:
Dude! FIRST OF ALL CONGRATULATIONSSSSSSSSS!!!! :woohoo So its time to partyyyyyyy!

This is a huge accomplishment. Believe me, its 7 am and reading your post has motivated me.....

I wish you all the best, you did it buddy! Good luck with your applications and let us know where you decide to go. :-D

You're next UVS!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Send PM
Re: Done! 700 (Q48, V38)...ridiculous path to the 700 club.. [#permalink]
GMATT73 wrote:
uvs_mba wrote:
Dude! FIRST OF ALL CONGRATULATIONSSSSSSSSS!!!! :woohoo So its time to partyyyyyyy!

This is a huge accomplishment. Believe me, its 7 am and reading your post has motivated me.....

I wish you all the best, you did it buddy! Good luck with your applications and let us know where you decide to go. :-D

You're next UVS!

Thanks Matt :-D I hope I make it this time. Well I still have couple of days before I break my news :) But definitely Good Luck to you as I know that your exam date is close, maybe a few hours :wink: So I really hope to hear the good news from you soon.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
That's a great story. The post was so long I almost didn't read it, but it was so interesting I read every word. You definitely worked hard and earned your score. Contratulations!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Awesome story BB, i'm happy to hear the hard work paid off!!!

Hope my story ends as well as yours did!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
BULLSEYE! MR. BOMBER.
ENEMY DEFEATED.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
A big-big congratulations to you Bomber!!!

You deserve to enjoy this victory and you will!!

Persistance pays off...

Good luck with your apps!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
That's some solid determination to succeed! Happy to know it's worked out well for you finally, and here's wishing success in what you do next. Great post.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulations! :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks everyone for the comments! I wanted to follow up my posting with what I found effective throughout my journey.

Quant:
I thought the MGMAT books were really good. 5 of the 7 books are math. Number properties were probably my biggest weakness. Any DS that had something like is |X| > Y^2 - X/2, (A) X^2 < Y/2 (B) Y^2 < X^3 - X/1 were really tough for me. I would spend a lot of time testing these choices (MAKE SURE YOU DO -ve, +ve, 0, and fractions when testing) and would typically forget to do one. i would say my hit rate on these problems were 66%. All other math problems were 95%. If you are a Q47+ test taker, you have to get the Project GMAT book. This book breaks down Combo/Perms and Probability really well. Also, you learn to use Venn Diagrams really well (I got 3 Venn Diagram questions on my last test). Other than that, make sure you feel comfortable with D=RT, angles (30-60-90 are 1, root 3, 2), and prime numbers/factoring/divisors. My quant practice was mostly done on practice tests. After a while, all questions are the same...you use the same steps to get the answers. I thought 50 was a hard score to get, but then again, I didn't prepare THAT much for quant. Do the second half of the questions of OG and OG supplemental. Review why you got them right and why you got them wrong...very important.

Verbal:
Ok, now this was the doozy. I'll break it down by each question type:
SC: Buy Smart Grammar immediately...read and re-read. A combo of this and the MGMAT guide is what got me through these questions. I read each book 3-4 times. As you go along, and you re-read, you pick up things that you didn't get the last time you read it. I started off around 50% and worked my way up to 90%. For idioms, they have a pretty good list in the MGMAT book. Other than that practice, practice, and practice. Do everything you can get your hands on WITH explanations. Kaplan ones are too easy, they make the mistakes too obvious (not only, but also or very obvious misplaced modifiers, etc). I thought the Arco ones were good. Of course SC 1000, but no explanations.
CR: Go out and buy the CR bible by TestScore. This book was really good...I used to read the question stem first, but I reverted to reading the Stimulus first (much more effective in my opinion). Read the stimulus, anticipate the answer, attack the conclusion. My toughest question by far was the bold comparison ones. Thank God I didn't get one on the real test. Other than that, I thought assumptions were really hard. The negation technique was not easy for me to implement. I tried the LSAT argument questions...those twist you head back compared to the GMAT CR's.
RC: I thought this would be my toughest section esp if the topic was something really boring...such as biology or chemistry topics. My recommendation is to read the WHOLE THING and read it like a CR. I know every book says DO NOT DO THIS. I found that this was by far the most effective way...otherwise I would've wasted 1 or 2 mins and not understood anything. Why not spend 3-4 mins, understand it, then answer all the question right? If you do this, in a 4 questions set, you will have spent only 8 mins (4 to read, 1 minute per question). You can make up time with SC (1 - 1.5 mins tops). Of course, my hit rate was only something like 75%, I was fine with this. Do OG, all of them. DO NOT waste your time on Kaplan or 800 score ones...these are WAY TOO hard.

Lastly, if you have any addictions such as smoking or anything like this, do not try quitting while studying. If you don't do so, I recommend working out daily or ever other day to keep your mind clear. I would only work out like 20-30 mins...I'm talking about a light jog, that's it. This will increase your stamina and mental health immensely. Also, DO NOT eat big meals before studying. Eat half meals at a time...just enough to keep you going. If you eat a full meal, you will get food coma and you're studying will not be effective.

I hope this helps...I know everyone has their own way of doing things, but you never know what works for you until you try other methods out.

Also, on your practice tests...no matter what, try as hard as you can to get the first 5-10 questions correct. If honestly think any one of the first five wrong = bad score. I spent 10 mins on questions 6 of the math and came back...just make sure you at least double check!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 262 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats BB ! This is a very inspirational post... Hard work does pay off !!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Dude...Let me congratulate you by saying

YOU DID FINALLY DROP THE BOMB ON GMAT EXAM AND TEARED IT APART!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1268 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats dude...Great post...I have the same problems that u faced in ur preps...I have a problem with the accuracy in RC though...70% accuracy

My strategy is the same as urs in solving the RC but the accuracy is still not increasing even after too much practice(3 RC's everyday)...Any suggestions?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Done! 700 (Q48, V38)...ridiculous path to the 700 club... [#permalink]
Super awesome. Thanks for the inspiration.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Done! 700 (Q48, V38)...ridiculous path to the 700 club... [#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts