Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:42 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3066 [156]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [13]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [8]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [3]
Send PM
Re: Outsourcing is the practice of obtaining from an independent supplier [#permalink]
Kudos
eyunni wrote:
Outsourcing is the practice of obtaining from an independent supplier a product or service that a company has previously provided for itself. Vernon, Inc, a small manufacturing company that has in recent years experienced a decline in its profits, plans to boost its profits by outsourcing those parts of its business that independent suppliers can provide at a lower cost than Vernon can itself.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the prediction that Vernon's plan will achieve its goal?

(A)Among the parts of its business that Vernon does not plan to outsource are some that require standards of accuracy too high for most independent suppliers to provide at a lower cost than Vernon can.

(B)Vernon itself acts as an independent supplier of specialized hardware items to certain manufacturers that formerly made those items themselves.

(C)Relatively few manufacturers that start as independent suppliers have been able to expand their business and become direct competitors of the companies they once supplied.

(D)Vernon plans to select the independent suppliers it will use on the basis of submitted bids.

(E)Attending to certain tasks that Vernon performs relatively inefficiently has taken up much of the time and effort of top managers whose time would have been better spent attending to Vernon's core business.

Please explain your answers.

I ll go for E. The idea here is to prove that by outsourcing Vernon would boost it profits. E tells us that by outsourcing, top managers can concentrate on core business who in turn would boost Vernon's profits (implied). No other option speaks about profitability.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3066 [3]
Send PM
Re: Outsourcing is the practice of obtaining from an independent supplier [#permalink]
Kudos
I would have agreed with (E) but the choice stops short of mentioning that those inefficient tasks are indeed the tasks which are outsourced.

How can I assume the above without the argument mentioning it?

Any comments are greatly appreciated.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 673 [15]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
 Q48  V33 GMAT 2: 670  Q46  V36 GMAT 3: 720  Q49  V40
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
eyunni wrote:
I would have agreed with (E) but the choice stops short of mentioning that those inefficient tasks are indeed the tasks which are outsourced.

How can I assume the above without the argument mentioning it?

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

I think your concern is valid.

One reason why I chose E was that none of the other choices made sense.

Also consider this part of the stem -

outsourcing those parts of its business that independent suppliers can provide at a lower cost than Vernon can itself.

Now look at E

(E)Attending to certain tasks that Vernon performs relatively inefficiently has taken up much of the time and effort of top managers whose time would have been better spent attending to Vernon's core business --> Implies Vernon's TOP managers are spending time on things which an independent vendor can perform cheaply --> hence this time saved would be beneficial to the company and is in line with the outsourcing philosophy of getting work done cheaply and letting the costlier company resources (read top managers) to concentrate on core jobs.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [8]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Marcab wrote:
Outsourcing is the practice of obtaining from an independent supplier a product or service that a company has
previously provided for itself. Vernon, Inc., a small manufacturing company that has in recent years
experienced a decline in its profits, plans to boost its profits by outsourcing those parts of its business that
independent suppliers can provide at lower cost than Vernon can itself. Which of the following, if true,
most strongly supports the prediction that Vernon's plan will achieve its goal?
A. Among the parts of its business that Vernon does not plan to outsource are some that require standards of
accuracy too high for most independent suppliers to provide at lower cost than Vernon can.
B. Vernon itself acts as an independent supplier of specialized hardware items to certain manufacturers that
formerly made those items themselves.
C. Relatively few manufacturers that start as independent suppliers have been able to expand their business and
become direct competitors of the companies they once supplied.
D. Vernon plans to select the independent suppliers it will use on the basis of submitted bids.
E. Attending to certain tasks that Vernon performs relatively inefficiently has taken up much of the time and effort
of top managers whose time would have been better spent attending to Vernon's core business.

Source: IvyGMAT
OA
after discussions.

Vernon, Inc., intends to boost its profits by outsourcing those parts of its business that independent suppliers can offer at a lower cost.
To strengthen this claim, the right answer choice would provide a strong reason as to why this plan would bear fruits.

A. Among the parts of its business that Vernon does not plan to outsource are some that require standards of
accuracy too high for most independent suppliers to provide at lower cost than Vernon can.

The parts of its business that Vernon DOES NOT plan to outsource is not of any concern. Wrong.

B. Vernon itself acts as an independent supplier of specialized hardware items to certain manufacturers that
formerly made those items themselves.

The fact that Vernon is a supplier to other manufacturers does not support the fact that the plan to outsource will increase the profits. Wrong.

C. Relatively few manufacturers that start as independent suppliers have been able to expand their business and
become direct competitors of the companies they once supplied.

No relation to Vernon's claim. Wrong.

D. Vernon plans to select the independent suppliers it will use on the basis of submitted bids.

How the suppliers would be selected does not influence the efficiency of this plan. Wrong.

E. Attending to certain tasks that Vernon performs relatively inefficiently has taken up much of the time and effort
of top managers whose time would have been better spent attending to Vernon's core business.

"...those parts of its business that
independent suppliers can provide at lower cost than Vernon can itself."
This portion suggests that some of the independent suppliers can provide the same product/service to Vernon at a relatively
lower cost. This implies that Vernon is not performing these tasks in the most optimum or efficient way.
Answer choice E also suggests that top managers were spending a lot of time on certain tasks that were inefficient.
And if they weren't attending to these tasks, their time would have been put to better use attending to Vernon's core business.
Since most top managers would be focusing on the core business of Vernon, it would be more likely that they would help Vernon increase its profits, rather than spending their time on inefficient tasks.

So out of all the answer choices, E is the right one.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [3]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Kudos
Marcab wrote:
Can't it be taken other way.
During independent bids, it will be a natural phenomenon to select the bidder whose bid is the lowest. If this happens, then won't the bidding process will help boost the profits.

I have just one issue with D.

The stimuli says "..by outsourcing those parts of its business that independent suppliers CAN PROVIDE at lower cost than Vernon can itself"

This suggests that the independent suppliers are in a position to offer these services at a lower cost. But during the bidding process, there is no certainty that the lowest bid will ACTUALLY be lower than the cost incurred by Vernon. It may just be the lowest of all the bids, but not necessarily lower than Vernon's own cost. The bidders might quote higher prices just to boost their own profits. So it is a possibility that the bidding process might boost profits of Vernon, but there is still enough doubt in this option to not consider it.

On the other hand, the top managers are a part of Vernon. So it can be safely said that once they are given more time to concentrate on core business of Vernon, their entire focus would be on boosting the profits. I would still prefer E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: University of Florida
Own Kudos [?]: 2976 [0]
Given Kudos: 630
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 2: 610 Q44 V30
GMAT 3: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 4: 590 Q35 V35
GPA: 3.45
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Official Explanation

Answer: E The organization believes that by spicing up its newsletter, it will boost its popularity, counteracting the recent decline in membership. The underlying assumption is that one has anything to do with the other. If members are leaving the group for some other reason - say, a scandal concerning management of funds – spicing up the newsletter is unlikely to do any good. Thus, in this strengthen question, we're looking for a choice that confirms the assumption. (E) is the only choice that does that, so it is correct.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3801 [3]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
eyunni wrote:
Outsourcing is the practice of obtaining from an independent supplier a product or service that a company has previously provided for itself. Vernon, Inc, a small manufacturing company that has in recent years experienced a decline in its profits, plans to boost its profits by outsourcing those parts of its business that independent suppliers can provide at a lower cost than Vernon can itself.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the prediction that Vernon's plan will achieve its goal?
Please explain your answers.

A. Among the parts of its business that Vernon does not plan to outsource are some that require standards of accuracy too high for most independent suppliers to provide at a lower cost than Vernon can. 
argument is not concern about plans that Vernon does not plan to outsource. so out of scope choice it is.

B. Vernon itself acts as an independent supplier of specialized hardware items to certain manufacturers that formerly made those items themselves. 
so what stated in this choice could help as motivation to have this plan come in place. but we are looking for a choice that tells YES, this plan will be successful. this is why it is an Out of scope choice.

C. Relatively few manufacturers that start as independent suppliers have been able to expand their business and become direct competitors of the companies they once supplied.
this choice says those independent suppliers of products or services are danger to those obtaining these services. this is a weaken-er type of choice.

this choice is an evaluation not strengthen. if no bidder provide service or product in lower cost than that vernon has to bear on its own then plan is failed. vice-versa, plan is successful. this is an EVALUATE choice.

E. Attending to certain tasks that Vernon performs relatively inefficiently has taken up much of the time and effort of top managers whose time would have been better spent attending to Vernon's core business.
If certain task that eat up all valuable time, time that can help business grow and in turn help reduce the cost, then it is good to outsource those task to indep suppliers. - this is strengthen-er choice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
Send PM
Hello GMATNinja

Quote:
(A) Among the parts of its business that Vernon does not plan to outsource are some that require standards of accuracy too high for most independent suppliers to provide at a lower cost than Vernon can.

Are we not selecting A because it is kind of rephrasing the conclusion itself?

Best
Pratik
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [4]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos