GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Aug 2018, 20:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Outsourcing is the practice of obtaining from an independent supplier

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Posts: 595
Outsourcing is the practice of obtaining from an independent supplier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Aug 2017, 04:42
3
32
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

65% (01:22) correct 35% (02:13) wrong based on 2381 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Outsourcing is the practice of obtaining from an independent supplier a product or service that a company has previously provided for itself. Vernon, Inc, a small manufacturing company that has in recent years experienced a decline in its profits, plans to boost its profits by outsourcing those parts of its business that independent suppliers can provide at a lower cost than Vernon can itself.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the prediction that Vernon's plan will achieve its goal?

(A) Among the parts of its business that Vernon does not plan to outsource are some that require standards of accuracy too high for most independent suppliers to provide at a lower cost than Vernon can.

(B) Vernon itself acts as an independent supplier of specialized hardware items to certain manufacturers that formerly made those items themselves.

(C) Relatively few manufacturers that start as independent suppliers have been able to expand their business and become direct competitors of the companies they once supplied.

(D) Vernon plans to select the independent suppliers it will use on the basis of submitted bids.

(E) Attending to certain tasks that Vernon performs relatively inefficiently has taken up much of the time and effort of top managers whose time would have been better spent attending to Vernon's core business.

Originally posted by eyunni on 30 Sep 2007, 18:48.
Last edited by hazelnut on 07 Aug 2017, 04:42, edited 3 times in total.
Syle & Format
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Aug 2007
Posts: 77
Re: Outsourcing is the practice of obtaining from an independent supplier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2007, 18:56
1
eyunni wrote:
Outsourcing is the practice of obtaining from an independent supplier a product or service that a company has previously provided for itself. Vernon, Inc, a small manufacturing company that has in recent years experienced a decline in its profits, plans to boost its profits by outsourcing those parts of its business that independent suppliers can provide at a lower cost than Vernon can itself.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the prediction that Vernon's plan will achieve its goal?

(A)Among the parts of its business that Vernon does not plan to outsource are some that require standards of accuracy too high for most independent suppliers to provide at a lower cost than Vernon can.

(B)Vernon itself acts as an independent supplier of specialized hardware items to certain manufacturers that formerly made those items themselves.

(C)Relatively few manufacturers that start as independent suppliers have been able to expand their business and become direct competitors of the companies they once supplied.

(D)Vernon plans to select the independent suppliers it will use on the basis of submitted bids.

(E)Attending to certain tasks that Vernon performs relatively inefficiently has taken up much of the time and effort of top managers whose time would have been better spent attending to Vernon's core business.

Please explain your answers.


I ll go for E. The idea here is to prove that by outsourcing Vernon would boost it profits. E tells us that by outsourcing, top managers can concentrate on core business who in turn would boost Vernon's profits (implied). No other option speaks about profitability.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Posts: 595
Re: Outsourcing is the practice of obtaining from an independent supplier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2007, 07:43
4
I would have agreed with (E) but the choice stops short of mentioning that those inefficient tasks are indeed the tasks which are outsourced.

How can I assume the above without the argument mentioning it?

Any comments are greatly appreciated.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2004
Posts: 1337
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Re: Outsourcing is the practice of obtaining from an independent supplier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2007, 08:00
2
eyunni wrote:
I would have agreed with (E) but the choice stops short of mentioning that those inefficient tasks are indeed the tasks which are outsourced.

How can I assume the above without the argument mentioning it?

Any comments are greatly appreciated.



I think your concern is valid.

One reason why I chose E was that none of the other choices made sense.

Also consider this part of the stem -

outsourcing those parts of its business that independent suppliers can provide at a lower cost than Vernon can itself.

Now look at E

(E)Attending to certain tasks that Vernon performs relatively inefficiently has taken up much of the time and effort of top managers whose time would have been better spent attending to Vernon's core business --> Implies Vernon's TOP managers are spending time on things which an independent vendor can perform cheaply --> hence this time saved would be beneficial to the company and is in line with the outsourcing philosophy of getting work done cheaply and letting the costlier company resources (read top managers) to concentrate on core jobs.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: IT industry - Project Manager
Affiliations: Rotary club and Company award
Joined: 12 Jun 2011
Posts: 14
Location: India
Schools: INSEAD, LBS, DUKE, ISB
Re: Outsourcing is the practice of obtaining from an independent supplier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2011, 11:27
Can some one please tell why not option C? What is wrong about it? If suppliers will turn to the competitor then outsourcing is not a good idea.
Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 1877
Re: Outsourcing is the practice of obtaining from an independent supplier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2011, 11:58
2
ravisoft8400 wrote:
Can some one please tell why not option C? What is wrong about it? If suppliers will turn to the competitor then outsourcing is not a good idea.


(C)Relatively few manufacturers that start as independent suppliers have been able to expand their business and become direct competitors of the companies they once supplied.

Few reasons why:
1. If ONLY FEW manufacturers could become competitors, there is only a little chance that the vendors will start competing.
2. Company is not so much concerned with the competition as with the reduced efficiency and high cost. So far "A" supplies "B" what B wants at the cheaper rate, B is happy. What A does internally for its success and expansion is not of much concern to B. B can stop A from competing by not making its vendor, but there can be C's, D's and others. Irrelevant to the immediate objective that the Vernon Inc is concerned about.
3. Time frame to become the competitor is not mentioned. Perhaps it takes those suppliers 100 years to come to their client's level and the strategy and outsourcing mentioned in the passage may be for relatively short term.
4. The excel of the supplier may just be because of its efficient service and provision. That way, Vernon can actually expect more out of the supplier in terms of quality etc.

Although I mentioned few points here, I'd rejected C just by using point 2. Irrelevant to the Vernon's latest concern and objective.
_________________

~fluke

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2011
Posts: 115
Re: Outsourcing is the practice of obtaining from an independent supplier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2011, 21:08
fluke wrote:
ravisoft8400 wrote:
Can some one please tell why not option C? What is wrong about it? If suppliers will turn to the competitor then outsourcing is not a good idea.


(C)Relatively few manufacturers that start as independent suppliers have been able to expand their business and become direct competitors of the companies they once supplied.

Few reasons why:
1. If ONLY FEW manufacturers could become competitors, there is only a little chance that the vendors will start competing.
2. Company is not so much concerned with the competition as with the reduced efficiency and high cost. So far "A" supplies "B" what B wants at the cheaper rate, B is happy. What A does internally for its success and expansion is not of much concern to B. B can stop A from competing by not making its vendor, but there can be C's, D's and others. Irrelevant to the immediate objective that the Vernon Inc is concerned about.
3. Time frame to become the competitor is not mentioned. Perhaps it takes those suppliers 100 years to come to their client's level and the strategy and outsourcing mentioned in the passage may be for relatively short term.
4. The excel of the supplier may just be because of its efficient service and provision. That way, Vernon can actually expect more out of the supplier in terms of quality etc.

Although I mentioned few points here, I'd rejected C just by using point 2. Irrelevant to the Vernon's latest concern and objective.



Great explanation..But E is the clear winner as none of the other choices make sense with respect to the stimulus..
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2012
Posts: 17
Re: Outsourcing is the practice of obtaining from an independent supplier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2012, 03:45
Can somebody explain why not D? I am confused between D and E. E is also a good candidate....but D?
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Been a long time guys...
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1252
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Outsourcing is the practice of obtaining from an independent supplier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2012, 23:46
1
Outsourcing is the practice of obtaining from an independent supplier a product or service that a company has
previously provided for itself. Vernon, Inc., a small manufacturing company that has in recent years
experienced a decline in its profits, plans to boost its profits by outsourcing those parts of its business that
independent suppliers can provide at lower cost than Vernon can itself. Which of the following, if true,
most strongly supports the prediction that Vernon's plan will achieve its goal?
A. Among the parts of its business that Vernon does not plan to outsource are some that require standards of
accuracy too high for most independent suppliers to provide at lower cost than Vernon can.
B. Vernon itself acts as an independent supplier of specialized hardware items to certain manufacturers that
formerly made those items themselves.
C. Relatively few manufacturers that start as independent suppliers have been able to expand their business and
become direct competitors of the companies they once supplied.
D. Vernon plans to select the independent suppliers it will use on the basis of submitted bids.
E. Attending to certain tasks that Vernon performs relatively inefficiently has taken up much of the time and effort
of top managers whose time would have been better spent attending to Vernon's core business.

Source: IvyGMAT
OA
_________________

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 08 Apr 2012
Posts: 123
Re: Outsourcing is the practice of obtaining from an independent supplier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2012, 00:47
1
Marcab wrote:
Outsourcing is the practice of obtaining from an independent supplier a product or service that a company has
previously provided for itself. Vernon, Inc., a small manufacturing company that has in recent years
experienced a decline in its profits, plans to boost its profits by outsourcing those parts of its business that
independent suppliers can provide at lower cost than Vernon can itself. Which of the following, if true,
most strongly supports the prediction that Vernon's plan will achieve its goal?
A. Among the parts of its business that Vernon does not plan to outsource are some that require standards of
accuracy too high for most independent suppliers to provide at lower cost than Vernon can.
B. Vernon itself acts as an independent supplier of specialized hardware items to certain manufacturers that
formerly made those items themselves.
C. Relatively few manufacturers that start as independent suppliers have been able to expand their business and
become direct competitors of the companies they once supplied.
D. Vernon plans to select the independent suppliers it will use on the basis of submitted bids.
E. Attending to certain tasks that Vernon performs relatively inefficiently has taken up much of the time and effort
of top managers whose time would have been better spent attending to Vernon's core business.

Source: IvyGMAT
OA
after discussions.



Vernon, Inc., intends to boost its profits by outsourcing those parts of its business that independent suppliers can offer at a lower cost.
To strengthen this claim, the right answer choice would provide a strong reason as to why this plan would bear fruits.


A. Among the parts of its business that Vernon does not plan to outsource are some that require standards of
accuracy too high for most independent suppliers to provide at lower cost than Vernon can.

The parts of its business that Vernon DOES NOT plan to outsource is not of any concern. Wrong.

B. Vernon itself acts as an independent supplier of specialized hardware items to certain manufacturers that
formerly made those items themselves.

The fact that Vernon is a supplier to other manufacturers does not support the fact that the plan to outsource will increase the profits. Wrong.

C. Relatively few manufacturers that start as independent suppliers have been able to expand their business and
become direct competitors of the companies they once supplied.

No relation to Vernon's claim. Wrong.

D. Vernon plans to select the independent suppliers it will use on the basis of submitted bids.

How the suppliers would be selected does not influence the efficiency of this plan. Wrong.

E. Attending to certain tasks that Vernon performs relatively inefficiently has taken up much of the time and effort
of top managers whose time would have been better spent attending to Vernon's core business.

"...those parts of its business that
independent suppliers can provide at lower cost than Vernon can itself."
This portion suggests that some of the independent suppliers can provide the same product/service to Vernon at a relatively
lower cost. This implies that Vernon is not performing these tasks in the most optimum or efficient way.
Answer choice E also suggests that top managers were spending a lot of time on certain tasks that were inefficient.
And if they weren't attending to these tasks, their time would have been put to better use attending to Vernon's core business.
Since most top managers would be focusing on the core business of Vernon, it would be more likely that they would help Vernon increase its profits, rather than spending their time on inefficient tasks.

So out of all the answer choices, E is the right one.

_________________

Shouvik
http://www.Edvento.com
admin@edvento.com

VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Been a long time guys...
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1252
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Outsourcing is the practice of obtaining from an independent supplier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2012, 01:07
1
Can't it be taken other way.
During independent bids, it will be a natural phenomenon to select the bidder whose bid is the lowest. If this happens, then won't the bidding process will help boost the profits.
_________________

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 08 Apr 2012
Posts: 123
Re: Outsourcing is the practice of obtaining from an independent supplier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2012, 01:24
1
Marcab wrote:
Can't it be taken other way.
During independent bids, it will be a natural phenomenon to select the bidder whose bid is the lowest. If this happens, then won't the bidding process will help boost the profits.


I have just one issue with D.

The stimuli says "..by outsourcing those parts of its business that independent suppliers CAN PROVIDE at lower cost than Vernon can itself"

This suggests that the independent suppliers are in a position to offer these services at a lower cost. But during the bidding process, there is no certainty that the lowest bid will ACTUALLY be lower than the cost incurred by Vernon. It may just be the lowest of all the bids, but not necessarily lower than Vernon's own cost. The bidders might quote higher prices just to boost their own profits. So it is a possibility that the bidding process might boost profits of Vernon, but there is still enough doubt in this option to not consider it.

On the other hand, the top managers are a part of Vernon. So it can be safely said that once they are given more time to concentrate on core business of Vernon, their entire focus would be on boosting the profits. I would still prefer E.
_________________

Shouvik
http://www.Edvento.com
admin@edvento.com

VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Been a long time guys...
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1252
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Outsourcing is the practice of obtaining from an independent supplier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2012, 01:30
AGSM Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 19 Jul 2012
Posts: 160
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.3
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Outsourcing is the practice of obtaining from an independent supplier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2012, 06:28
I have one concern regarding choice E.

Are we not making another assumption while picking this choice that these particular tasks would cost low if outsourced.

If we consider this scenario: tasks were too tough/ technical/ important and that's why took more time and effort and thus would cost more if outsourced. In this case we cannot outsource these task.
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Been a long time guys...
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1252
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Outsourcing is the practice of obtaining from an independent supplier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2012, 06:35
@VineetK.
Thats why "top managers" was mentioned. If there had been a case in which "top managers" was not mentioned then your point would have been valid.
_________________

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Director
Director
User avatar
Status: 1,750 Q's attempted and counting
Affiliations: University of Florida
Joined: 09 Jul 2013
Posts: 508
Location: United States (FL)
Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Re: Outsourcing is the practice of obtaining from an independent supplier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Oct 2013, 08:30
2
1
Ghostwriting is the practice of obtaining from an independent writer a manuscript that an author or
organization publishes under their own name. Dinosaurs, Inc., an amateur archaeological society that
has in recent years seen a decline in membership, plans to boost its popularity by hiring a ghostwriter
for its newsletter to provide the kind fresh perspective and stylistic innovation that the group is no
longer capable of providing itself.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the prediction that Dinosaurs' plan will achieve its goal?

(A) Among the parts of the newsletter that Dinosaurs, Inc. does not plan to have ghostwritten are some that
require knowledge of the society itself that no non-member would be familiar with.

(B) The editor of the Dinosaurs, Inc. newsletter ghostwrites newsletter articles for other amateur archaeological
society newsletters.

(C) Few ghostwriters are both stylistically innovative and able to write accurately about specific archaeological issues.

(D) Dinosaurs, Inc. plans to select the ghostwriters it will use on the basis of writing samples from newsletters of other amateur societies.

(E) Many former members of Dinosaurs, Inc. cited the dullness of the newsletter as a reason for their choice to leave the society.

Source: GMAT Hacks - 082713

Originally posted by avohden on 03 Oct 2013, 16:09.
Last edited by avohden on 07 Oct 2013, 08:30, edited 3 times in total.
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: 1,750 Q's attempted and counting
Affiliations: University of Florida
Joined: 09 Jul 2013
Posts: 508
Location: United States (FL)
Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Re: Outsourcing is the practice of obtaining from an independent supplier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2013, 16:19
Official Explanation

Answer: E The organization believes that by spicing up its newsletter, it will boost its popularity, counteracting the recent decline in membership. The underlying assumption is that one has anything to do with the other. If members are leaving the group for some other reason - say, a scandal concerning management of funds – spicing up the newsletter is unlikely to do any good. Thus, in this strengthen question, we're looking for a choice that confirms the assumption. (E) is the only choice that does that, so it is correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Dec 2012
Posts: 274
Re: Outsourcing is the practice of obtaining from an independent supplier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2013, 05:50
I don't get the answer. Yes it is true that the existing writers of Dinosaur left the company because it was dull. Well that confirms that it was dull but it says nothing abt it adding fresh perspective. On the the other hand D says that Dinosaur will select writers based on the samples. Hence only those writers qualified to be provide fresh perspective will be selected by Dinosaur. So shouldn't D be the answer as it confirms with the conclusion.
Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3443
Re: Outsourcing is the practice of obtaining from an independent supplier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2013, 13:37
Put it in simple words

Dinosaurs Inc says: we have had a memership's drop because we no longer offer fresh contents. Now with the new newsletter we do

what makes this stronger. in other words: which answer goes in the same direction of this, in favour of this

E: a lot of former members leave our Inc because the content was not so fresh. Now wil be so thanks to the new newsletter. conclusion: they do not leave our company.

Hope now is clear

regards
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2014
Posts: 13
Re: Outsourcing is the practice of obtaining from an independent supplier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2014, 04:36
brugopal wrote:
SreeViji wrote:
Can somebody explain why not D? I am confused between D and E. E is also a good candidate....but D?


(D)Vernon plans to select the independent suppliers it will use on the basis of submitted bids.

This doesn't say how it will help Vernon to achieve its goal of boosting profit. It just says on what basis independent suppliers will be chosen. so clearly irrelevant.

But it does say that Vernon will choose supplier which cost is lower than Vernon so according to that fact I think it is logical to choose D is not it? Also everybody says E but I do not agree. Because argument does not say anything about managers and etc. It does say its core business wil work better but it does not mention about managers . So I think it is D
Re: Outsourcing is the practice of obtaining from an independent supplier &nbs [#permalink] 23 May 2014, 04:36

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 38 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Outsourcing is the practice of obtaining from an independent supplier

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.