GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Mar 2019, 01:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Down but not defeated: 590 on my GMAT. Need help on new study plan

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Down but not defeated: 590 on my GMAT. Need help on new study plan  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2019, 10:40
Hey guys,

Took the GMAT last Friday and scored a disappointing 590 Q42 V29. Ias averaging 650- 720 at the GMAT prep exams but unfortunately, I just wasn't able to bring it all together during the test itself. May I ask recommendations how how to improve this? Im open to adapting a new study plan, as I plan to take another exam in 4 weeks. Or invest in some new study material. I used the 2018 OG guide, GMAT exam pack 1 and manhattan books for my preparation, and im currently thinking of purchasing exam pack2 and gmat focus. I am aiming for at least a 650, and I do believe it's doable. Written below is the summary of my ESR. I hope someone could help me make a guided plan on how to reach the 600 mark :) Thank you in advance!

QUANT ESR
Your Quantitative score of 42 is higher than 43% of GMAT Exam scores recorded in the past three years. The mean score for this section is 39.93.
Your performance on Problem Solving questions was equivalent to a score of 42. Your score is better than 43% of all sub-section scores recorded in the past three years. The mean for all test takers is 39.91.
Your performance on Data Sufficiency questions was equivalent to a score of 42. Your score is better than 41% of all sub-section scores recorded in the past three years. The mean for all test takers is 39.94.
Your performance on Arithmetic questions was equivalent to a score of 45. Your score is better than 53% of all sub-section scores recorded in the past three years. The mean for all test takers is 40.02.
Your performance on Algebra/Geometry questions was equivalent to a score of 38. Your score is better than 33% of all sub-section scores recorded in the past three years. The mean for all test takers is 39.88.
Your performance of 33% on Geometry questions is considered Weak.
Your performance of 40% on Rates/Ratio/Percent questions is considered Weak.
Your performance of 66% on Value/Order/Factors questions is considered Above Average.
Your performance of 66% on Equal./Inequal./Alg. questions is considered Above Average.
Your performance of 75% on Counting/Sets/Series questions is considered Above Average.
You completed 31 questions in the Quantitative section.
You responded correctly to 71% of the first set of questions, 29% of the second set of questions, 71% of the third set of questions and 71% of the final set of questions..
The average difficulty of questions presented to you in the first set of questions was Medium, the average for the second set of questions was Medium, the average for the third set of questions was Medium and was Medium High for the final set of questions.
The average time it took you to respond to the first set of questions presented was 2:02, the average time for the second set of questions was 1:53, the average time for the third set of questions was 1:37 and 1:21 for the final set of questions.
Please Note: If you sat for the GMAT exam prior to April 16, 2018 this section contained 37 questions, on or after April 16, 2018 the section consists of 31 questions.

VERBAL ESR
Your Verbal score of 29 is higher than 56% of GMAT Exam scores recorded in the past three years. The mean score for this section is 27.04.
Your performance on Critical Reasoning questions was equivalent to a score of 26, which is better than 43% of GMAT Exam scores recorded in the past three years. The mean score for this sub-section is 27.59.
Your performance of 50% on Analysis/Critique questions is considered Weak.
Your performance of 50% on Construction/Plan questions is considered Weak.
Your performance on Reading Comprehension questions was equivalent to a score of 28, which is better than 51% of GMAT Exam scores recorded in the past three years. The mean score for this sub-section is 27.29.
Your performance of 66% on Identify Inferred Idea questions is considered Above Average.
Your performance of 25% on Identify Stated Idea questions is considered Very Weak.
Your performance on Sentence Correction questions was equivalent to a score of 33, which is better than 66% of GMAT Exam scores recorded in the past three years. The mean score for this sub-section is 27.19.
Your performance of 83% on Grammar questions is considered Strong.
Your performance of 66% on Communication questions is considered Above Average.
You completed 36 questions in the Verbal section.
You responded correctly to 75% of the first set of questions, 57% of the second set of questions, 29% of the third set of questions and 75% of the final set of questions.
The average difficulty of questions presented to you in the first set of questions was Medium, the average for the second set of questions was Medium , the average for the third set of questions was Medium and was Medium for the final set of questions.
The average time it took you to respond to the first set of questions presented was 1:46, the average time for the second set of questions was 2:04, the average time for the third set of questions was 1:33 and 1:33 for the final set of questions.
Please Note: If you sat for the GMAT exam prior to April 16, 2018 this section contained 41 questions, on or after April 16, 2018 the section consists of 36 questions.
Manager
Manager
P
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Re: Down but not defeated: 590 on my GMAT. Need help on new study plan  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2019, 11:41
Try out TTP's 1 month quant course or consider Magoosh's 1 month plan. Also, since your mock scores show a solid foundation, I would recommend reading/watching stuff about exam anxiety.

Best wishes!
Manager
Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Down but not defeated: 590 on my GMAT. Need help on new study plan  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2019, 18:13
I would recommend that you enroll in an online course. I highly recommend EMPOWERgmat; the course is one of the best and is of the main reasons I have comfortably score 700+ in all practices tests. With a disciplined preparation of 3 months, you can definitely improve your Quant score, to be honest. For the Quant section, GMAT Club Test Center is another great option for score improvement. The questions available in the GMAT Club Tests are extremely representative of actual GMAT. Once you are done with Quant concepts, please purchase the GMAT Club tests. You'd see tremendous improvements in your Quant score. All the best.
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2019, 18:59
Hi aquerol,

To start, since you have purchased the Enhanced Score Report, I'll be happy to analyze it for you. I'd like to see the full ESR though, so you can feel free to email it directly to me (at Rich.C@empowergmat.com). When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss those issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs/mocks (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2019, 20:33
Thank you all for your suggestions! As of now im open (borderline desperate hehe) to try each and every one of them. To rich of Empower GMAT, I have sent my ESR in the email you have provided.

to further put in detail my experience:

1.) I have studied intensively sine October of 2018
2.) At my mock exams i got the ff:

GMAT prep 1: 480 (took this w/o prep)
GMAT prep 2: 620
GMAT prep 3: 740
GMAT prep 4: 690

Goals:
As per my goal school, my end goal is to enter Yale's Master of Advanced Management through an MBA in my country (Philippines). Im also ooking into entering Oxford University's Said Business School MBA program, and or HKUST. My dream however,is to enter Cornell University's MBA program.
e-GMAT Representative
P

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2019, 20:51
aquerol - I am sorry to hear that you did not do as well as you did on GMAT prep mocks. 590 to 650 is very achievable. Since you already have your ESR, I would recommend that you use GMAT Planner to get a customized study plan. This utility will:

1. Provide an efficient path to 650 based on your current score - 590 and your Quant and Verbal split.
2. Give estimates on where should you spend time in the next month.
3. Provide trackable milestones that you need to achieve. If you achieve those milestones, you should be able to score 650 (a very logical outcome).

Link to GMAT Planner - https://gmatplanner.com
Create your study plan and write to rajat@e-gmat.com if you have questions regarding the same or need a system that not only teaches the content/application but also helps track your improvement. In addition, take a look at sample 590 to 710 study plan here: https://e-gmat.com/blogs/personalized-s ... -gmat-710/

People who have done this

GMAT 710 Wharton Admit: https://e-gmat.com/blogs/gmat-710-whart ... ers-story/
How to score 740 on the GMAT | 100-point improvement in 40 days - https://e-gmat.com/blogs/how-to-score-7 ... n-40-days/

I hope the above helps. Good luck!!

Regards,

Rajat Sadana

Success Stories
V27 to V42 | V28 to V48 | V25 to V38 | More Success Stories

Register for free live sessions
Sentence Correction: Get 4 free video lessons, 50 practice questions | Critical Reasoning workshop: Get 4 free video lessons, 40 practice questions
Reading Comprehension: Get 2 free video lessons and 2 free eBooks | Free Strategy Session: Key strategy to score 760

Ace GMAT
GMAT Strategies Megathread | Ability Quizzes | Tips from V40+ scorers | Guide to getting into HBS

Must Read Articles
Sentence Correction: Foundations: GMAT Grammar | Parallelism markers | Imperfect parallelism | Parallelism: Grammar vs Logic |
Noun Modifiers (1) | Noun Modifiers (2) | Verb-ing Modifiers (1) | Verb-ing Modifiers (2) | Verb-ed Modifiers | Verb-ing vs Verb-ed Modifiers
Critical Reasoning: Prethinking Assumptions | Prethinking Quantitative arguments | Negation techniques | Inference vs Assumption | Boldface questions
Reading Comprehension: Paragraph summary | Main Point practice questions

Important Verbal Techniques
Timing Strategies | Reading long sentences | How the GMAT distorts meaning | Pitfalls to avoid

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2019, 09:42
Hi aquerol,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. So the good news is that despite scoring lower on your real GMAT than on your practice exams, you are only 60 points off your score goal right? That said, it’s quite possible that your score dropped on your real exam because you had a number of lingering weaknesses that were exposed on test day. Thus, moving forward you really need to follow a linear and structured study plan, so you can carefully go through GMAT quant and verbal to find your weaknesses if fill in knowledge gaps. That said, you may need more time than just 4 weeks. Are you able to take the exam at later date?

Regarding resources, I agree with cfc198. Since you need quant help, TTP would be an awesome resource for you. We are the top-rated quant course here on GMAT Club.

Regarding verbal courses you should check out the reviews here on GMAT club or read through GMAT success stories to see what has worked well for other test-takers.

Feel free to reach out with further questions.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2019, 13:28
Hi aquerol,

I've sent you an email with the analysis of your ESR and some notes/suggestions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Down but not defeated: 590 on my GMAT. Need help on new study plan   [#permalink] 04 Mar 2019, 13:28

Down but not defeated: 590 on my GMAT. Need help on new study plan

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, bb, EMPOWERgmatRichC

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap