Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 639 [24]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [10]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2918 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Re: Dr. Sayre’s lecture recounted several little-known episodes in the [#permalink]
Singular Subjects, Plural Predicates, etc.

See below or click on the link: https://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/ ... #irregular

We frequently run into a situation in which a singular subject is linked to a plural predicate:

E.g. My favorite breakfast is cereal with fruit, milk, orange juice, and toast.

Sometimes, too, a plural subject can be linked to singular predicate:

E.g. Mistakes in parallelism are the only problem here.

In such situations, remember that the number (singular or plural) of the subject, not the predicate, determines the number of the verb. See the section on Subject-Verb Agreement for further help.

A special situation exists when a subject seems not to agree with its predicate. For instance, when we want each student to see his or her counselor (and each student is assigned to only one counselor), but we want to avoid that "his or her" construction by pluralizing, do we say "Students must see their counselors" or "Students must see their counselor"? The singular counselor is necesssary to avoid the implication that students have more than one counselor apiece. Do we say "Many sons dislike their father or fathers"? We don't mean to suggest that the sons have more than one father, so we use the singular father. Theodore Bernstein, in Dos, Don'ts and Maybes of English Usage, says that "Idiomatically the noun applying to more than one person remains in the singular when (a) it represents a quality or thing possessed in common ("The audience's curiosity was aroused"); or (b) it is an abstraction ("The judges applied their reason to the problem"), or (c) it is a figurative word ("All ten children had a sweet tooth") (203). Sometimes good sense will have to guide you. We might want to say "Puzzled, the children scratched their head" to avoid the image of multi-headed children, but "The audience rose to their foot" is plainly ridiculous and about to tip over.

In "The boys moved their car/cars," the plural would indicate that each boy owned a car, the singular that the boys (together) owned one car (which is quite possible). It is also possible that each boy owned more than one car. Be prepared for such situations, and consider carefully the implications of using either the singular or the plural. You might have to avoid the problem by going the opposite direction of pluralizing: moving things to the singular and talking about what each boy did.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Business Consulting
 Q44  V25 GMAT 2: 600  Q50  V22
Send PM
Re: Dr. Sayre’s lecture recounted several little-known episodes in the [#permalink]
Kudos
I am in favor of C...
I was looking for among in the answer choices, presuming more than 2 nations to be involved, but none of the choices features an "among"...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
Send PM
bmwhype2 wrote:
OA is B.

It cannot be relations between nations because between is used for only two parties whereas we are talking about various parties (because we are talking about treaties and alliances)

my only question is what is illustrates in agreement with?

OA is B.
In GMAT, here are two facts that always hold:
(1) In a prepositional phrase, the noun after the preposition can NEVER be the subject of a sentence.
(2) An attributive clause always describes the CLOSEST subject.

(A) relations between (nations that illustrates)
Wrong. Nations cannot illustrate what is wrong. Their relation can.

(B) relation (of one nation with another) that illustrates
Correct.

(C) relations between (nations that illustrate)
Wrong. Same as A.

(D) relation of one nation with another and illustrate
Wrong. In this sentence the action "illustrate" is sent out by Dr. Sayre. However the tense is incorrect, and it changed the meaning of the sentence.

(E) relations of (nations that illustrates)
Wrong. Same as A, and the verb "illustrates" doesn't follow its subject "nations"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
I found the official answer and it was B not C!

1. "nations" are greater than just two. Therefore "between" is wrong. A and C are out.

2. in D, "and illustrate" means that it is parallel with something. But this present tense "illustrate" cannot be parallel with anything.

3. "illustrates" is wrong because it needs to be plural. No matter the subject is "episodes" or "relations".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Can we confirm that OA is B? Seems to be several different answers/explanations?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Could you please confirm the OA for this question? I'm confused because there are so many comments stating that the OA should be B, not C. Thank you.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Dr. Sayres lecture recounted several little-known episodes in the [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Dr. Sayres lecture recounted several little-known episodes in the [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts