It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 15:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Dr. Sheila Porter plans to run an experiment using nursing

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Dr. Sheila Porter plans to run an experiment using nursing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2004, 07:25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Dr. Sheila Porter plans to run an experiment using nursing students. Each student will be shown either a pleasant nature film or a disturbing horror film. Each student will be observed by someone who—looking only at the student’s facial expressions—must ascertain which film is being shown. Students shown the horror movie are told to hide their feelings in order to convince the observer that they are watching a pleasant film. Dr. Porter hypothesizes that all the students in the experiment who are convincing will be among the best at working with patients. The hypothesis will be tested by comparing the convincing students and unconvincing students in terms of their performance with patents.

Which one of the following incidents best illustrates Dr. Porter’s hypothesis?

(A) Niles, the most convincing student in the experiment, later went on to become a physician.
(B) After graduating, Yoshiro, a nursing student who was convincing in the experiment, helped care for Bram, a patient at a hospital. Bram recovered from his operation.
(C) After graduating, Kim, a nursing student in the experiment who watched the nature film, was removed from the staff of a hospital for unacceptable performance in patient care.
(D) Daria, a nursing student who was convincing in the experiment, later received “A’sâ€

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2004, 08:13
This was rather tough one..

Wrong choices are C, and E for sure..why/
C - we do not know whether the person was the 'convincing' type or the 'unconvincing' type. We cannot presume she was the 'unconvincing' type for her non-performance in the job.

E - she could have quit for any reason other than non-performance. If for reasons of non-performance this would have been a very strong choice.

now, the shortlist is A, B and D

B - is referring to one incident only. The hypothesis is referring to all convincing students being best with patients

A - Niles became a physician - meaning he deals with multiple patients. However it does not say 'successful physician' and puts this again in doubt.

D- looks like a strong choice to prove the hypothesis.

AArgh! pls post the OA quickly...else I will become a patient!! and dont tell me I am 'unconvincing' :wink:

Last edited by venksune on 03 Aug 2004, 09:37, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2004, 09:37
The hypothesis tries to prove that no matter what the patients suffering are the nurses have to be calm and those who can keep the emotions to themselves will be the best to take care of the patients.

its between B and D

B--is an isolated incidence. It clearly describes that one convincing person helped the suffering patient to recover from his ailment. But this cannot be generic

D--The best according to me. She probabily kept her emotions for the whole course and was the best to serve the patients.

All the other choices, according to me, are distracters

A--He was most convincing but then he may have been extraordinary

C--She was removed from the staff for unacceptable performance. We are not told about her convincing attrribute

E--She quit the school for what reason? we don't know.

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2004, 10:30
We can safely say that the pretending students are best with patients and cannot convincingly say they will be great doctors/nurses. They might just do it for grades.

(D) looks the best to me.

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 0

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2004, 20:46
D it is
A) could have been a physician for other reasons
B) maybe the patient's vitality allowed him to recover
C) was Kim convincing or not in the experiment?
D) She was convincing and had good grades when involved with taking care of patients and nothing else. Bingo
E) there could be other reasons for her quitting school

Best Regards,

Paul

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: experiment [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2004, 01:11
Another vote for D
B is not convincing enuf. Role of Yoshiro in Bram's recovery is not a strong evidence to say for sure that she is excellent in working with patients

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2004, 01:21
OA is D

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 54 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2008, 04:55
This post received
KUDOS
B and D are close but
i ll go for D. as B is a bit generalized and more precise is D.

D expresses that the same convincing student later received A's in those classes in which working with patients was the sole basis of her grades..
Dr. Porter hypothesizes that all the students in the experiment who are convincing will be among the best at working with patients...

Kudos [?]: 54 [1], given: 0

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 437 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2008, 13:40
I don't see an answer choice E and the choice D is garbled with weird characters. Can some re post the D & E Choices?

Kudos [?]: 437 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2009, 04:20
doubt b/w D & E?

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: experiment   [#permalink] 01 Jan 2009, 04:20

Dr. Sheila Porter plans to run an experiment using nursing

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap