GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 14:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Duke Fuqua MQM vs. HEC Paris MiM

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Duke Fuqua MQM vs. HEC Paris MiM  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2017, 13:00
I'm very fortunate to have received offers from two great schools! But having a hard time making a choice.

Duke Fuqua MQM is 10 months long and will cost about 83000$. STEM program and great reputation globally.

HEC Paris MiM is 2 years long (with an option for a gap year in between) and will cost about 73000$. Range of specializations and great reputation but mostly within Europe.

Any ideas about which one to choose or which school has better placements will be welcome!

Personally I feel being in a business school means networking and for that 10 months is a bit too short. But Duke has such personality!! That's the only thing making me think and rethink continuously.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GPA: 3.97
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
Re: Duke Fuqua MQM vs. HEC Paris MiM  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2017, 15:02
You have to make a choice based on where you want to work. But the answer is fairly simple for me, I'd choose Duke for the following reasons:

1. You will quickly return to the work force. The program is only 10 months.
2. Duke has a Top-10 MBA Program and a large alumni network in the US.
3. Duke has an international brand recognition.
4. Personally, i would consider HEC only if it was their well-known MFin program with all of its placements at London BBs.

What i don't like about MQM is that you are not able to chose any electives besides the ones listed in the concentrations.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2017, 22:12
We can actually choose electives! I know a person studying in the program currently m

I was just wondering if Duke's brand is as prestigious as HECs

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2017, 06:40
Duke > HEC. Duke is more prestigious across the globe with the exception of maybe France.

Yes, you can chose electives available only from the pool of MQM specific electives. But, as far as i know, you can not chose electives from Fuqua school of business with, let's say, MBA students.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2017, 08:28
What do think of Rochester University's MS Business Analytics as compared to Duke's MQM?

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2017, 08:30
And how does Duke's MQM compare against UChicago or Columbia's Analytics programs?

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2017, 08:57
Comparing to other universities that you named, i would say that only MIT's MBAn program might be better. Columbia and Chicago are a bit above Duke in terms of prestige, if not on the same level. My judgement is purely based on their MBA prestige. Since quality of connections and students should be approximately the same.

University of Rochester is a joke. Only if Money is an issue and you got a full tuition there. Then, maaaaaaaaybe, i would consider it. Otherwise, avoid.

I wish anyone told me this, before i came to the US. Just go with a brand name if you can! If you got into approximately same schools in terms of prestige, then you can choose. But if you got accepted into Vanderbilt with full tuition and Stanford with no money. Then simply chose whatever will get you a better job placement.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2017, 09:18
Just want to clarify my thinking a bit more, I was accepted into Columbia Fin Economics as an undergraduate and have chosen to attend other school because 1) tuition 2) i would have to take some additional classes to compensate for the transfer coursework. Finally, i decided to keep my original choice and that was a huge mistake. Even though i graduated in top of my class with 3.97 GPA - i was unemployed for 1 year.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2017, 10:08
Damn!! 3.97 and unemployed for an year. That's quite he story?! Hope it's going better now bro

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2017, 10:16
dimson wrote:
Comparing to other universities that you named, i would say that only MIT's MBAn program might be better. Columbia and Chicago are a bit above Duke in terms of prestige, if not on the same level. My judgement is purely based on their MBA prestige. Since quality of connections and students should be approximately the same.

University of Rochester is a joke. Only if Money is an issue and you got a full tuition there. Then, maaaaaaaaybe, i would consider it. Otherwise, avoid.

I wish anyone told me this, before i came to the US. Just go with a brand name if you can! If you got into approximately same schools in terms of prestige, then you can choose. But if you got accepted into Vanderbilt with full tuition and Stanford with no money. Then simply chose whatever will get you a better job placement.

Thanks for the feedback! I was of a similar mind too. Not much difference between the reputation for Duke, Columbia and UChicago. Plus the cost for Duke after scholarship is probably going to be lower for me.

The only advantage at Duke is that the program is under the business school (Fuqua). Will that help?

Plus are the School of Professional Studies (which handle the Analytics programs foe UChicago & Columbia) much less helpful with recruitment in corporate spheres? And are those even that reputable as compared to Booth Business School for Chicago for example?

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2017, 18:33
It all depends on where you want to work in the future. If you want to work in the corporate world, then business school is the way to go.

I just realized that Chicago and Columbia are schools of professional studies. In my opinion, and i might be wrong, schools of professional studies are something like money makers for universities, similar to Harvard Extension which says that its education is affordable, but it charges outrageous amount of money per class.

I don't think Analytics Program at School of Professional Studies is comparable to Booth, but i am not familiar with these programs as well.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2017, 01:23
dimson wrote:
It all depends on where you want to work in the future. If you want to work in the corporate world, then business school is the way to go.

I just realized that Chicago and Columbia are schools of professional studies. In my opinion, and i might be wrong, schools of professional studies are something like money makers for universities, similar to Harvard Extension which says that its education is affordable, but it charges outrageous amount of money per class.

I don't think Analytics Program at School of Professional Studies is comparable to Booth, but i am not familiar with these programs as well.

Alright then .. thanks man! I hope I can make it into a school with a slightly better location then Duke's (Durham, North Carolina).

Hope all's going well for you too! Let me know if I can help with anything

Re: Duke Fuqua MQM vs. HEC Paris MiM &nbs [#permalink] 16 Dec 2017, 01:23

Duke Fuqua MQM vs. HEC Paris MiM

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap