Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:45 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72866 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72866 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Dumb as a box of rocks, help?? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Sorry for all the questions - you took any practice tests? Have you had a chance before taking the real test?
I think you may need to start with MGMAT Math Foundations and MGMAT Verbal Foundations books - those are good at plugging in holes that were created in high school when some of us took shortcuts and did not pay attention or simply forgot most of it. I would recommend those 2 books and spending a month or two with them (not more than that). You should get to 400-500 level....

FYI - 550 is 50th percentile, so that's average, at the same time means that half the people scored less. It is not a very easy score though many seem to chase the 700's.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
Sorry for all the questions - you took any practice tests? Have you had a chance before taking the real test?
I think you may need to start with MGMAT Math Foundations and MGMAT Verbal Foundations books - those are good at plugging in holes that were created in high school when some of us took shortcuts and did not pay attention or simply forgot most of it. I would recommend those 2 books and spending a month or two with them (not more than that). You should get to 400-500 level....

FYI - 550 is 50th percentile, so that's average, at the same time means that half the people scored less. It is not a very easy score though many seem to chase the 700's.

I have no problem answering any questions, as this is helpful for me.

Yes the first practice test I took was one from kaplan that was held on campus grounds, I received a 460 on this test. The thing is I didn't study at all and just went in blindly and received that score. The next one I took was from the Gmat website when I purchased the exam test date, I mainly focused on the quant section here and just put answers in for the verbal section. (22Q 10th percentile)

On the exam for the last quant question I may missed the last question I wasn't 100% that when I submitted the answer it went through as time was about up.

Thanks for recommending those books, what kind of interval would you recommend studying in (2hours a day, 4hours a day weekend off, etc...) I just want to feel comfortable approaching a problem and knowing what to do instead of feeling lost. Should I transition into the official guide from here?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Since I'm aiming for a score near 550 (assume 600 on prep tests), what additional books or book would you guys recommend? Per bb I've just bought the MGMAT fundamental books (Math and Verbal) and I'll use them to get a solid base on the basics. Is there a specific book that you guys feel addresses this range?

Thanks
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
GmatFear wrote:
Since I'm aiming for a score near 550 (assume 600 on prep tests), what additional books or book would you guys recommend? Per bb I've just bought the MGMAT fundamental books (Math and Verbal) and I'll use them to get a solid base on the basics. Is there a specific book that you guys feel addresses this range?

Thanks

I think you will need a thorough review from your high school Math books before you do any GMAT specific material. Go through Arithmetic, Algebra and Geometry from high school books. Review how to handle fractions, decimals, ratios, quadratics etc. After that, go through a complete set of GMAT Quant curriculum. If you are ready to put in the effort, 550 should not be hard.
GMAT Club Bot