It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 22:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

During an era when interracial tensions in the United States

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1374

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 0

During an era when interracial tensions in the United States [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2008, 19:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (00:01) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 4 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

During an era when interracial tensions in the United States have run high, Rosa Parks became a quiet, unassuming symbol of the continued struggle for human dignity.

(A) have run high
(B) ran high
(C) had run highly
(D) run high
(E) were running highly

post in the explanations
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1863

Kudos [?]: 623 [0], given: 32

Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Re: SC-tenses [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2008, 19:12
Here is my reasoning.

There are 2 events that happen in the past in this sentence. 1) Racial tensions being high and 2) "Rosa Parks became". Whenever we have 2 events that take place in the past, the earlier event must use the past perfect tense and the simple past for the later action in the sentence. For the verb "run" this is "had run". We have to use C because this is the only one that uses "had run" and it uses the adverb "highly" correctly as well.

spriya wrote:
During an era when interracial tensions in the United States have run high, Rosa Parks became a quiet, unassuming symbol of the continued struggle for human dignity.

(A) have run high
(B) ran high
(C) had run highly - Correct
(D) run high
(E) were running highly

post in the explanations

_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 623 [0], given: 32

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1374

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-tenses [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2008, 19:20
jallenmorris wrote:
Here is my reasoning.

There are 2 events that happen in the past in this sentence. 1) Racial tensions being high and 2) "Rosa Parks became". Whenever we have 2 events that take place in the past, the earlier event must use the past perfect tense and the simple past for the later action in the sentence. For the verb "run" this is "had run". We have to use C because this is the only one that uses "had run" and it uses the adverb "highly" correctly as well.

spriya wrote:
During an era when interracial tensions in the United States have run high, Rosa Parks became a quiet, unassuming symbol of the continued struggle for human dignity.

(A) have run high
(B) ran high
(C) had run highly - Correct
(D) run high
(E) were running highly

post in the explanations


Even i had the same answer but OA is not (C).keep trying
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1863

Kudos [?]: 623 [0], given: 32

Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Re: SC-tenses [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2008, 19:30
Then it has to be my first choice. I first thought B, but then thought "No, that's not past perfect and this has to follow that rule."

I just looked it up in my SC1000 and the answer is B. Is this an idiom of some sorts? I can imagine someone on the news saying "Tonight in Iraq tensions ran high as sniper fire continued..." So I guess maybe it is an idiom. Anyone else have an idea?

spriya wrote:
jallenmorris wrote:
Here is my reasoning.

There are 2 events that happen in the past in this sentence. 1) Racial tensions being high and 2) "Rosa Parks became". Whenever we have 2 events that take place in the past, the earlier event must use the past perfect tense and the simple past for the later action in the sentence. For the verb "run" this is "had run". We have to use C because this is the only one that uses "had run" and it uses the adverb "highly" correctly as well.

spriya wrote:
During an era when interracial tensions in the United States have run high, Rosa Parks became a quiet, unassuming symbol of the continued struggle for human dignity.

(A) have run high
(B) ran high
(C) had run highly - Correct
(D) run high
(E) were running highly

post in the explanations


Even i had the same answer but OA is not (C).keep trying

_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 623 [0], given: 32

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1374

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-tenses [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2008, 19:39
Then it has to be my first choice. I first thought B, but then thought "No, that's not past perfect and this has to follow that rule."

I just looked it up in my SC1000 and the answer is B. Is this an idiom of some sorts? I can imagine someone on the news saying "Tonight in Iraq tensions ran high as sniper fire continued..." So I guess maybe it is an idiom. Anyone else have an idea?

spriya wrote:
jallenmorris wrote:
Here is my reasoning.

There are 2 events that happen in the past in this sentence. 1) Racial tensions being high and 2) "Rosa Parks became". Whenever we have 2 events that take place in the past, the earlier event must use the past perfect tense and the simple past for the later action in the sentence. For the verb "run" this is "had run". We have to use C because this is the only one that uses "had run" and it uses the adverb "highly" correctly as well.

spriya wrote:
During an era when interracial tensions in the United States have run high, Rosa Parks became a quiet, unassuming symbol of the continued struggle for human dignity.

(A) have run high
(B) ran high
(C) had run highly - Correct
(D) run high
(E) were running highly

post in the explanations


Even i had the same answer but OA is not (C).keep trying


I have an answer for this .Consider the part of the sentence
During an era when interracial tensions in the United States have run high
I think usage of when forces us to use past tense instead of past perfect.Still not sure looking forward to getting correct explanation.
OA is (B)
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Posts: 84

Kudos [?]: 25 [1], given: 0

Re: SC-tenses [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2008, 19:44
1
This post received
KUDOS
I will go with B ... my reasoning while making choice is although there are two events occuring in past but both of them are occuring at the same time...so we don't need perfect tense in this case..

Kudos [?]: 25 [1], given: 0

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 01 Jan 2008
Posts: 618

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 1

Re: SC-tenses [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2008, 19:56
"were running high" fits best -> I considered E but "were running highly" is incorrect -> I went for B. However, I would've still prefered "were running high" to "ran high".

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 1

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1863

Kudos [?]: 623 [0], given: 32

Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Re: SC-tenses [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2008, 20:05
Great point diehard! Kudos +1.
Rosa Parks did her thing "during the era" when tensions ran high. The question even tells us this.
diehard4 wrote:
I will go with B ... my reasoning while making choice is although there are two events occuring in past but both of them are occuring at the same time...so we don't need perfect tense in this case..

_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 623 [0], given: 32

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 86

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-tenses [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2008, 23:56
My answer is B.

During an era when interracial tensions in the United States have run high, Rosa Parks became a quiet, unassuming symbol of the continued struggle for human dignity.

(A) have run high
use of present perfect tense is not correct here ..
It seems the interracial tensions are still running ..

(B) ran high
This is the right choice . Since both the events occurred at the same time we do not require a past perfect tense.
(C) had run highly
High/highly is not modifying run... it is actually suppose to modify the noun interracial tensions. Therefore use of High is better .
We can look at the sentence this way .During an era when High interracial tensions ran ....

(D) run high
present tense is incorrect here . Since part of the sent is in past tense.
(E) were running highly
use of continuous tense is incorrect

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1374

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-tenses [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2008, 06:05
zoltan wrote:
I also consider B the best answer choise.


Thank u all
Both the events correspond to same time frame hence past tense.
OA is B
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-tenses   [#permalink] 22 Jul 2008, 06:05
Display posts from previous: Sort by

During an era when interracial tensions in the United States

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.