It is currently 22 Feb 2018, 03:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

During the past 20 years, computer scientists focused

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
During the past 20 years, computer scientists focused [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2011, 10:25
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

78% (01:01) correct 22% (01:20) wrong based on 419 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

During the past 20 years, computer scientists focused increasingly on starting and running successful businesses. However, since businesses must be profitable, computer scientists must focus on developing products that generate profit. Consequently, computer science has lost its creative aspect.
Which of the following assumptions is most necessary in order for the conclusion above to be drawn from the argument above?
A) All computer programs must lack creativity in order to be well received.
B) Some computer scientists entirely disregarded creativity and chose instead to pursue profit.
C) A program cannot be both creative and profitable.
D) Computer scientists are obsessed with the profitability of their work.
E) Non-profit institutions use large amounts of software.
Director
Director
Re: Profitable s/w - Assumption for the conclusion to be true [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2011, 10:45
C for me. The argument refers to creativity and profitability as mutually exclusive.

Crick
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2011, 02:53
C.
Comp scientists "must" focus on profitability. Hence focus on profitability is a compulsion top set up a large business. This reduces the discretionary element and hence obsession is hard to justify. D is unlikely.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2011, 03:40
The argument says that computer scientists have focused on profit, reducing creativity. This implies a trade off between the two.

C seems to highligh this the best

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2011, 20:57
The "negation" technique is very powerful on assumption questions.

Let's negate choice C ----> "A program can be BOTH creative and profitable". If this
statement is true --> the argument in the stimulus will fall apart. Choice C is correct!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2011, 15:13
Why choice A and D not correct?

thanks.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.2

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2011, 04:05
bidmanager wrote:
Why choice A and D not correct?

thanks.

A & D are both extreme answers. Also, they do not form a bridge between the conclusion and argument. C does so.

Two great challenges: 1. Guts to Fail and 2. Fear to Succeed

Intern
Intern
Re: During the past 20 years, computer scientists focused [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2012, 02:31
agdimple333 wrote:
During the past 20 years, computer scientists focused increasingly on starting and running successful businesses. However, since businesses must be profitable, computer scientists must focus on developing products that generate profit. Consequently, computer science has lost its creative aspect.
Which of the following assumptions is most necessary in order for the conclusion above to be drawn from the argument above?
B) Some computer scientists entirely disregarded creativity and chose instead to pursue profit.

Computer scientists are focusing their energy on developing products which are profitable. Now, profitable products need not be always innovative. Hence, author concludes that they have lost their creativity

Assumption could be

Before 20 years (or in the past) computer scientists have developed very innovative or creative products.
Computer scientists have shifted their focus from creativity to profitability

Now let us see the choices

A. Not necessarily. This is not the point which author is making. He is not saying, that computer scientists need not be creative in order to be profitable. Moreover, this option is about computer programs. NO
B. This can be true but use the word 'entirely' creates a doubt.
C. It is too extreme. Author has not said that those who have developed a profitable product, they cant develop a creative product. Though, that might be true for majority.
D. This can be true. But use of the word obsessed seems extreme. Although it is less extreme than the word 'entirely' used in
option b. So this seems a right choice
E. Out of scope

My answer is D

I may be wrong. But I dont understand why c could be an answer. Doesnt it look like extreme statement?

Pls provide clarity.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.98

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2012, 03:18
I felt A and C were the close answers as the real assumption in the argument is that if computer scientists made profitable programs, they have not been creative. Both A and C are close, but the difference between A and C is that A states "well received". This is ambiguous and may not mean "profitable". So I picked C.

If I did make a valid point, would you please consider giving me a kudo. Thanks.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2012, 11:20
C looks pretty straightforward as it connects the gap between profitability and creativity (more like a smokestacks and cleaner burning fuel example in the official guide but talks about the program in general not computer program)......so doesn't give much surety..........still looks the best answer though....negation also yields the desired result....so any expert please clarify the doubt
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2012, 12:44
Any answer is C as well.
C) A program cannot be both creative and profitable. - Correct Assumption.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2012, 14:23
Answer is C

The argument’s conclusion is: "computer science has lost its creative aspect"

The argument draws the false dichotomy that the writing of profitable programs requires forgoing the writing of creative applications. In other words, it assumes that profitable and creative programs are mutually exclusive. Further, it assumes that all computer scientists are pursuing writing profitable programs.
A.There is a difference between being well received and being profitable. The argument assumes that only non-creative programs can be profitable. However, this does not mean creative programs will not be well-received. It just means they will not be profitable.
B.Even if some computer scientists disregarded creativity, we cannot (as the original argument and this answer do) assume that creativity and profit are mutually exclusive.
C.This answer identifies a crucial assumption in the original argument. If writing creative and profitable programs were not mutually exclusive, then one could write profitable programs without "computer science [having] lost its creative aspect."
D.The extent to which a computer scientist is obsessed with the profitability of his work has no influence on whether profitability drives away creativity (as the original argument assumes).
E.The users of software have influence on whether software can be both profitable and creative.
Manager
Manager
Status: exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2012, 19:17
i accept with c here
even i went with it..
but is ti necessary that a programme means a computer programme here...

what if the answer choice is talking of some other programme
that makes the question controversial

please correct me if i am wrong

just one more month for exam...

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2013, 23:07
agdimple333 wrote:

I will go for D. Reason I believe is as below,

A) All computer programs must lack creativity in order to be well received. ---it is nowhere implied that for profitable it has to lack creativity, what is written is that CS started focussing to be more profitable hence lacking in creativity. ---No

B) Some computer scientists entirely disregarded creativity and chose instead to pursue profit.----this statement talks about some scientists, but para above says in general for last 20 years or so......hence No

C) A program cannot be both creative and profitable. ----Nowhere from para it is relected that program cannot be both creative and profitable, what is mentioned is CS for being more profitable paid less attention to creativity-----hence No.

D) Computer scientists are obsessed with the profitability of their work.----It is only statement which is reflecting that for being profitable CS are paying less attention to creativity.

E) Non-profit institutions use large amounts of software.[/quote]---Out of context.
Director
Director
G
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 22:44
OA is C.
Please update the same.
Thank you
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2017, 18:07
I will go with C,
Because it is already told to us that scientists are focused running successful businesses.Therefore profitablility and creativity cannot go hand in hand.That's why we have to assume that a program cannot be creative and profitable at the same time.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2017, 02:34
Isn't option C vague? It is talking about programs in general whereas we are talking about computer programs here. It also seems too extreme.

I chose D here but I don't think that is right either. We are not told about the computer scientists obsession. It could be a co-incidence.
Re: During the past 20 years, computer scientists focused   [#permalink] 02 Sep 2017, 02:34

During the past 20 years, computer scientists focused

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap