GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2019, 23:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

E-GMAT Free Trial Design Strategy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
E-GMAT Free Trial Design Strategy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2018, 08:27
Hi Experts,

I am left with 15 days for my GMAT. IN GMAT Prep Official mocks, I have been scoring fairly (700-V33, 680-V31). I am struggling to increase my Verbal score. On mocks, I mostly make a lot of incorrect attempts on SC questions while in CR, I generally have an accuracy of >80%.

Yesterday and today when I took the Ability Quiz on Scholaranium (Free trial on EGMAT), I scored 45-50% accuracy on SC and just 33% on CR. I am stunned to see the results. Not sure if the ability quizzes are designed in a manner that make you doubt your capability and buy the paid course. Could anyone please help me with this ?
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: E-GMAT Free Trial Design Strategy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2018, 18:48
MSGmat1 wrote:
Hi Experts,

I am left with 15 days for my GMAT. IN GMAT Prep Official mocks, I have been scoring fairly (700-V33, 680-V31). I am struggling to increase my Verbal score. On mocks, I mostly make a lot of incorrect attempts on SC questions while in CR, I generally have an accuracy of >80%.

Yesterday and today when I took the Ability Quiz on Scholaranium (Free trial on EGMAT), I scored 45-50% accuracy on SC and just 33% on CR. I am stunned to see the results. Not sure if the ability quizzes are designed in a manner that make you doubt your capability and buy the paid course. Could anyone please help me with this ?
Your accuracy depends on a lot of things:

1. Your ability: as long as you were not aware of the questions in the GMATPreps before doing them, we can safely assume that you are already better than V30 (your scores are between ~60 and ~70 percentile).
2. The difficulty level of the questions you are attempting: if the questions you are attempting are very difficult, your accuracy is expected to go down dramatically.
3. The quality of the questions you are attempting: if the questions themselves are not very good, even a very good test taker will struggle to get them correct (because there may be no, or no clear, correct answer).
4. Whether you are taking an adaptive test: the GMAT adapts to your performance, while this particular test might not. In an adaptive test, accuracy is not necessarily very indicative of performance.

My advice to you is to continue using these questions if they are of high quality and you feel that they can play a role in your prep at this stage. If they are not or you do not feel that they "fit", drop them. Our advice to students is to focus on only official questions in the last stretch.
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2018, 20:45
AjiteshArun wrote:
MSGmat1 wrote:
Hi Experts,

Your accuracy depends on a lot of things:

1. Your ability: as long as you were not aware of the questions in the GMATPreps before doing them, we can safely assume that you are already better than V30 (your scores are between ~60 and ~70 percentile).
2. The difficulty level of the questions you are attempting: if the questions you are attempting are very difficult, your accuracy is expected to go down dramatically.
3. The quality of the questions you are attempting: if the questions themselves are not very good, even a very good test taker will struggle to get them correct (because there may be no, or no clear, correct answer).
4. Whether you are taking an adaptive test: the GMAT adapts to your performance, while this particular test might not. In an adaptive test, accuracy is not necessarily very indicative of performance.

My advice to you is to continue using these questions if they are of high quality and you feel that they can play a role in your prep at this stage. If they are not or you do not feel that they "fit", drop them. Our advice to students is to focus on only official questions in the last stretch.

Thank you AjiteshArun. So, I will stick to my Official Guide practice material since I have very few days left and maybe if required will take few more adaptive tests to assess where I stand. Thanks for your advice :-)
e-GMAT Representative
P

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2019, 14:45
MSGmat1 - thank you for our post. The percentile scores on scholaranium are normalized based on attempts by 100,00+ students. These ability quizzes are designed to give you a realistic estimate of the score you are likely to see on the actual test. Ability-quizzes is one of the key reasons people love Scholaranium.

https://gmatclub.com/reviews/tests-e-gm ... -345345675

It seems you took the test on June 22, 2018 and scored a V25. Note, your Verbal score is in line with what the ability quiz predicted.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/confused-whe ... 68698.html

Did you opt for another attempt? How did you do?

-Rajat
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2019, 17:51
Hi MSGmat1,

Would you like some general advice on how to improve your SC and CR skills?

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

e-GMAT Representative
P

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2019, 17:26
MSGmat1 - I believe your Scholaranium ability scores are in line with your actual GMAT score, considering that you got a V25 on the actual GMAT a couple of weeks later.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/confused-whe ... 68698.html

Are you still preparing for the GMAT.

-Rajat
Re: E-GMAT Free Trial Design Strategy   [#permalink] 16 Nov 2019, 17:26

E-GMAT Free Trial Design Strategy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep