GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 03 Aug 2020, 22:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Each year, the number of students caught copying

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Each year, the number of students caught copying  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2020, 11:37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

42% (02:08) correct 58% (02:24) wrong based on 197 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Each year, the number of students caught copying in examination is nearly the same as the number of students caught driving without a valid driving license and the number of students caught traveling without a valid ticket. Therefore, the outcry about copying in examination ought to be put to rest, as the act of copying in examination is in fact almost as mundane as the acts of driving without a valid driving license or traveling without a valid ticket.

Which one of the following, if true, would most effectively undermine the author's argument?

A Although the number of students caught driving without a valid driving license each year is very small, the total number of incidences of students traveling without a valid ticket is many times greater.
B The punishments upon being caught copying in examination are graver than those upon being caught driving without a valid driving license or traveling without a valid ticket.
C Fewer students would take their chances with driving without a valid driving license and traveling without a valid ticket than with copying in examination.
D Cheating in general—including copying in examination—is more prevalent than driving without a valid driving license.
E The prevalence of wrongdoings such as copying in examination, driving without a valid driving license or traveling without a valid ticket among students is inversely proportional to their probability of getting caught.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Each year, the number of students caught copying  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2020, 13:29
Can someone please explain why the answer is B and why Not C?
What i interpreted is "Copying i examination has to be stopped and copying in exam is as common as someone driving with out license and someone traveling without a ticket". So we got to tell copying is either rare or more common than other 2 tasks mentioned to undermine the argument.How is punishment mentioned in option B relevant?

Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2020, 05:25
Can someone explain why not C and the reason behind B? IMO C is the right choice as the argument says even though the number of people caught is the same hence mention to Cheating should be put to rest but C counters it by saying fewer people will get involved in other activities and hence making cheating more important to look at. Please correct me what am i getting wrong?
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2020, 05:53
aman2139 wrote:
Can someone explain why not C and the reason behind B? IMO C is the right choice as the argument says even though the number of people caught is the same hence mention to Cheating should be put to rest but C counters it by saying fewer people will get involved in other activities and hence making cheating more important to look at. Please correct me what am i getting wrong?

Hi, the argument shifted from "numerical" in premise to "qualitative" in the conclusion.

Carefully looking at conclusion, it says the word "mundane" i.e. not very significant or boring. Here the author is saying that even since cheating is low in "quantitative" terms, therefore it should not be big worry about in its "qualitative" terms.

In (B), it never mentions about its "quantitative" aspect, and targets the "qualitative" side of the conclusion.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2020, 02:10
Can someone help with the OE for this one?

SajjadAhmad GMATNinja
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Each year, the number of students caught copying   [#permalink] 16 Jul 2020, 02:10

Each year, the number of students caught copying

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics