It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 21:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Economic analysts, noting the sharp increase in ADHD-related

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 2423 [0], given: 178

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Economic analysts, noting the sharp increase in ADHD-related [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2015, 13:52
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

73% (01:43) correct 27% (01:54) wrong based on 236 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Economic analysts, noting the sharp increase in ADHD-related disability claims over the past decade, have posited an epidemic of ADHD among younger generations. These analysts, though, ignore advances in psychoanalytical classifications. ADHD is now listed as an official psychiatric disorder in the DSM-5, whereas those with ADHD were simply treated as undisciplined and irresponsible in the past. Therefore, a greater number of serious cases are recommended now for disability, because Human Resources workers are more likely to identify these behavior patterns as ADHD.

Which of the following, if true, provides the most support for the argument?

A) Most economic analysts have no more than a rudimentary knowledge of psychiatric classifications.
B) Even though ADHD is a psychiatric disorder, coaching in skills related to responsibility and self-discipline help many such individuals lead more productive lives.
C) Human Resource employees now receive basic training in the psychiatric disorders that most commonly lead to disability claims.
D) In some cultures in the past, the lack of responsibility was viewed as one of the most serious moral failings.
E) According to studies, psychiatrists are diagnosing children with ADHD at increasingly early ages.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Kudos [?]: 2423 [0], given: 178

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8948 [1], given: 111

Re: Economic analysts, noting the sharp increase in ADHD-related [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2015, 14:45
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Harley1980 wrote:
Economic analysts, noting the sharp increase in ADHD-related disability claims over the past decade, have posited an epidemic of ADHD among younger generations. These analysts, though, ignore advances in psychoanalytical classifications. ADHD is now listed as an official psychiatric disorder in the DSM-5, whereas those with ADHD were simply treated as undisciplined and irresponsible in the past. Therefore, a greater number of serious cases are recommended now for disability, because Human Resources workers are more likely to identify these behavior patterns as ADHD.

Which of the following, if true, provides the most support for the argument?

A) Most economic analysts have no more than a rudimentary knowledge of psychiatric classifications.
B) Even though ADHD is a psychiatric disorder, coaching in skills related to responsibility and self-discipline help many such individuals lead more productive lives.
C) Human Resource employees now receive basic training in the psychiatric disorders that most commonly lead to disability claims.
D) In some cultures in the past, the lack of responsibility was viewed as one of the most serious moral failings.
E) According to studies, psychiatrists are diagnosing children with ADHD at increasingly early ages.

Dear Harley1980,
I'm happy to respond. :-) This is an old question I wrote a while ago.

The question is why the number of ADHD diagnoses has risen precipitously in recent years. Some people say there's an epidemic. The economic analysts counter, telling us that it is not an "epidemic" of ADHD in modern times; instead, better diagnoses are just identifying the problem more. In other words, the problem was always there, but undiagnosed in the past. The change in modern times is not that people have gotten worse --- it's just that diagnoses have gotten better.

That's the argument we want to support.
(A) Most economic analysts have no more than a rudimentary knowledge of psychiatric classifications.
A distractor. The economic analysts are not doing the analysis and diagnoses themselves! They are merely describing a mass phenomenon in culture.

(B) Even though ADHD is a psychiatric disorder, coaching in skills related to responsibility and self-discipline help many such individuals lead more productive lives.
This addresses how to help folks with ADHD, and that is laudable, but it's outside the scope of the argument.

(C) Human Resource employees now receive basic training in the psychiatric disorders that most commonly lead to disability claims.
If HR folks get this training, then they will be able to recognize it, and either diagnose people, or at least recommend that people see professional who can diagnose them. Either way, this would explain why better diagnoses of this condition are becoming more common, so this strengthens the argument.

(D) In some cultures in the past, the lack of responsibility was viewed as one of the most serious moral failings.
This may be true, but this only explains why the problem was undiagnosed in the past; it doesn't explain how modern diagnosing has gotten better.

(E) According to studies, psychiatrists are diagnosing children with ADHD at increasingly early ages.
That may be true. It would explain why some people go through most of their lives with that tag, but in and of itself, it doesn't not explain why the number of diagnoses has gone up.

The best answer is the OA, (C).

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8948 [1], given: 111

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Economic analysts, noting the sharp increase in ADHD-related [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 09:22
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 0

Re: Economic analysts, noting the sharp increase in ADHD-related   [#permalink] 09 Nov 2017, 09:22

Economic analysts, noting the sharp increase in ADHD-related

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap