It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 02:57

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Economist GMAT Tutor - Need thoughts

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Economist GMAT Tutor - Need thoughts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 12:37
Hey Everyone,

So after a first attempt at the GMAT, I signed up for The Economist's GMAT Tutor. It's been a little over a month since I've started taking the course and I need your guys' thoughts. Here's where I'm at with my progress

- GMAT Attempt 1: 610 (Q40, V34)
- Course Progress: 75%
- Economist GMAT Practice Test 1: 690 (Q44, V36)
- Economist GMAT Practice Test 2: 700 (Q45, V36)
- GMAT Attempt 2: mid-November (a little over a month)

Two things:
1. While this is good progress, I'm really questioning the accuracy of these tests. Firstly, I don't feel accomplished or satisfied after finishing these tests. I feel as though the quality of my performance is more reflective of a mid-600 score. Anyone ever feel this way?
2. If you put my quant and verbal scores from the Economist tests into a standard GMAT score chat, the scores are about 30 points lower (i.e., my first practice test should be around a 660 based on the score chart). Which score should I believe? I'm questioning the accuracy of these tests and would like others' inputs.

Thank you!

Economist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount CodesMagoosh Discount Codes
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3683 [0], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Economist GMAT Tutor - Need thoughts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 13:25
Hi yankfan1216,

The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. Since that algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus CAT scores can vary a bit based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs. The most realistic CATs available are the 6 from GMAC (the 2 free CATs, and each of the 2 that come with Exam Pack 1 and Exam Pack 2), so it would be useful to know how you performed on one of those CATS. Once you have that score result, you should post back here and we can talk through what all of this data means. Make sure to take a NEW CAT (one that you have NOT taken before) - and take it in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back here and we can discuss how best to proceed.

1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3683 [0], given: 173

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 97

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 02:56
Hi yankfan1216

Official gmatprep is the only test that can give you an accurate score. I would recommend to get exam 1 and 2 along with question bank. ROI is quite high for that purchse.

+1 Kudos is the best way to say "Thank you!"

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 97

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2017, 15:26
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi yankfan1216,

The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. Since that algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus CAT scores can vary a bit based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs. The most realistic CATs available are the 6 from GMAC (the 2 free CATs, and each of the 2 that come with Exam Pack 1 and Exam Pack 2), so it would be useful to know how you performed on one of those CATS. Once you have that score result, you should post back here and we can talk through what all of this data means. Make sure to take a NEW CAT (one that you have NOT taken before) - and take it in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back here and we can discuss how best to proceed.

1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hi Rich,

I took a practice GMAT Prep exam today and scored a 640 (Q46/V31). Needless to say, I'm really confused with the discrepancies in my score and very upset with my experience with the Economist/GMAT Tutor.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I have just about a month of studying remaining before I sit for the actual exam.

Re: Economist GMAT Tutor - Need thoughts   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2017, 15:26

Economist GMAT Tutor - Need thoughts

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap