Last visit was: 12 May 2024, 07:31 It is currently 12 May 2024, 07:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Resolve Paradoxx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 623135 [62]
Given Kudos: 81833
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2955 [28]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65238 [13]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
General Discussion
examPAL Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1783 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Re: Economist: In 2015, the average per-person amount paid for goods and [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
Economist: In 2015, the average per-person amount paid for goods and services purchased by consumers in Country X was the equivalent of $17,570 in United States dollars, just 30 percent of the corresponding figure of $58,566 for Country Y. Yet in 2015, there was already a substantial middle class in Country X that had discretionary income for middle-class consumer goods such as new vehicles, computers, or major household appliances, while a significant portion of the middle class in Country Y did not have sufficient income to purchase such items.

Which of the following, if true, most helps explain the discrepancy in the relationships described by the economist?

A. There are many consumer goods, such as household appliances, that are produced in Country X to be sold in the Country Y market.
B. The volume of trade between Country X and Country Y is increasing rapidly in both directions.
C. The economy of Country Y is recovering from a downturn that affected both Country Y and Country X.
D. Country X residents pay much less than their Country Y counterparts for housing, transportation, and child care.
E. In Country Y as well as in Country X, there are few assembly-line jobs in factories that pay a middle-class wage.

CR33061.01
OG2020 NEW QUESTION

The comparison is between X, where there is less money paid for goods but the middle class has enough income to pay for the goods, and Y, where more money is paid but the middle class's income is insufficient. Instead of trying to guess a reason (as we have no information on surrounding circumstances), we'll look directly to the answer choices. This is an Alternative approach.

A. this does not explain the relation of income to money paid for goods
B. similarly to (A), this is irrelevant to the argument
C. this could imply that Y is in better shape, but we are told that X is in better shape
D. This directly explains why X residents have sufficient income to buy things. Good choice, let's keep going.
E. again, this does not give a separation between the two countries.

(D) is the only relevant option and is our answer.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8839 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Economist: In 2015, the average per-person amount paid for goods and [#permalink]
Kudos
Economist: In 2015, the average per-person amount paid for goods and services purchased by consumers in Country X was the equivalent of $17,570 in United States dollars, just 30 percent of the corresponding figure of $58,566 for Country Y. Yet in 2015, there was already a substantial middle class in Country X that had discretionary income for middle-class consumer goods such as new vehicles, computers, or major household appliances, while a significant portion of the middle class in Country Y did not have sufficient income to purchase such items.

Type- paradox
Boil it down-
total salary= amount spent for good and services + discretionary income for middle-class consumer goods + savings

A. There are many consumer goods, such as household appliances, that are produced in Country X to be sold in the Country Y market.- irrelevant
B. The volume of trade between Country X and Country Y is increasing rapidly in both directions.- irrelevant
C. The economy of Country Y is recovering from a downturn that affected both Country Y and Country X.- irrelevant
D. Country X residents pay much less than their Country Y counterparts for housing, transportation, and child care. - Correct, since the amount spent on basics is less in Country X than in Y, so folks in Country X have more $ for middle-class goods
E. In Country Y as well as in Country X, there are few assembly-line jobs in factories that pay a middle-class wage. -irrelevant

Answer D
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2167 [2]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Not sure if i'm overanalysing this here but I certainly found this tougher than most.

Weird I typically find the questions flagged as hard/ very hard easier than these types of questions...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [3]
Given Kudos: 420
Send PM
Economist: In 2015, the average per-person amount paid for goods and [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Which of the following, if true, most helps explain the discrepancy in the relationships described by the economist?

A. There are many consumer goods, such as household appliances, that are produced in Country X to be sold in the Country Y market.
B. The volume of trade between Country X and Country Y is increasing rapidly in both directions.
C. The economy of Country Y is recovering from a downturn that affected both Country Y and Country X.
D. Country X residents pay much less than their Country Y counterparts for housing, transportation, and child care.
E. In Country Y as well as in Country X, there are few assembly-line jobs in factories that pay a middle-class wage.

CR33061.01
OG2020 NEW QUESTION

The comparison is between X, where there is less money paid for goods but the middle class has enough income to pay for the goods, and Y, where more money is paid but the middle class's income is insufficient. Instead of trying to guess a reason (as we have no information on surrounding circumstances), we'll look directly to the answer choices. This is an Alternative approach.

A. this does not explain the relation of income to money paid for goods
B. similarly to (A), this is irrelevant to the argument
C. this could imply that Y is in better shape, but we are told that X is in better shape
D. This directly explains why X residents have sufficient income to buy things. Good choice, let's keep going.
E. again, this does not give a separation between the two countries.

(D) is the only relevant option and is our answer.

Option D states that "Country X residents pay much less than their Country Y counterparts for housing, transportation, and child care."
This explains this fact -> "In 2015, the average per-person amount paid for goods and services purchased by consumers in Country X was the equivalent of $17,570 in United States dollars, just 30 percent of the corresponding figure of $58,566 for Country Y."
"housing, transportation, and child care" means "goods and services".

Even though people from country X have the ability to spend more , they spend less and that's why the average per-person amount paid for goods and services purchased by consumers in Country X is lesser .
That's why option D is correct.

VeritasKarishma GMATNinja
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1826 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Economist: In 2015, the average per-person amount paid for goods and [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:

CR33061.01
OG2020 NEW QUESTION

This is how i understood the question. Pre-thinking helped me in POE.
Initially, I thought the question is somewhat similar(just to understand the argument) to a question which asks about resolving the paradox where per-capita income is discussed. That straight led me to think the question is about, may be, weighted average where top 5% earn too much relative to 95% remaining although this was not helpful. Later i looked for following parameters, chronologically, that might have caused such a paradox:
1. Both Country X and Y have population and per-person amount related inversely(though this was least of help rather it made situation more complex)
2. Cost of living(general expenditure) of Country x is significantly less than Country Y

Looking at the options, A, B and E can be eliminated immediately for the reason that they all talk about either irrelevant things(A and B) or things that are going in same direction for both Countries(E).
C suggests that possibly Y, because of its path towards economic recovery, has more per-person expenditure but that is not enough to mark it since it does not talk about Country X.
E, on the other hand, compares(use of THAN) the two countries. But i was not sure about it. However, i marked it as correct answer.
Retrospectively, i think since all four incorrect options were using THAN, looking for comparison or precisely THAN shall help one to decide much faster. :)
I agree with dcummins since certainly the question is tough and it took me a lot of time to understand.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4945 [0]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Top Contributor
Quesiton is Why does the the people of country Y pay more than people of country X pay in 2015, even though the people of country Y less capacity than the people of country X for middle-class consumer goods such as new vehicles, computers, or major household appliances?

The stimulus gives an option that payment may be not only for goods but also for services.
Option D Says that the people of country Y pay much higher for housing, child care, and transportation than that of country X.

So, D is answer.

A. is out of scope,
B. Nothing is said about trading between the two countries.
C. Is related with the cost of services cost.
E. This also not related with the premise.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 850 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts