GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Aug 2018, 03:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

EDHEC or WHU Beisheim or SMU or Something else

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GPA: 3.1
GMAT ToolKit User
EDHEC or WHU Beisheim or SMU or Something else  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 06:20
Hi Everyone,

I have been lurking around these forums for a while now. The time has arrived for me to pose the question ? :)

I am a Chartered Accountant with 10 plus years work experience in Treasury & Risk Management. About 4 months back, I appeared for GMAT, having no idea about the exam and with some degree of luck managed to score a 650.

My focus for pursuing an MBA was to further specialize in my core area of financial risk management and treasury. Also gaining an overall business perspective.

At the time EDHEC came across as one of the schools that caters to finance professionals. Knowing French, France is also an appealing destination for further studies. I have received an admit from them.

Considering the ROI, EDHEC offers a strong proposal. However, I am little hesitant since I have really not pushed myself on GMAT and I am little uncertain on EU work permit post qualification.

It is also too late to apply to some of the premium institutes in Europe.

Considering the circumstances, I wanted some of your opinions.
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
G
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests
EDHEC or WHU Beisheim or SMU or Something else  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 13:02
Ravi-2026 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I have been lurking around these forums for a while now. The time has arrived for me to pose the question ? :)

I am a Chartered Accountant with 10 plus years work experience in Treasury & Risk Management. About 4 months back, I appeared for GMAT, having no idea about the exam and with some degree of luck managed to score a 650.

My focus for pursuing an MBA was to further specialize in my core area of financial risk management and treasury. Also gaining an overall business perspective.

At the time EDHEC came across as one of the schools that caters to finance professionals. Knowing French, France is also an appealing destination for further studies. I have received an admit from them.

Considering the ROI, EDHEC offers a strong proposal. However, I am little hesitant since I have really not pushed myself on GMAT and I am little uncertain on EU work permit post qualification.

Hi ravi

Congrats on admission to EDHEC ! :thumbup:

Great School.

You are right, knowing French is certainly big asset for you, for EDHEC or any other French/Belgium/Switzerland/Quebec school.

WHU Beisheim is certainly below EDHEC in terms of rankings, but if you want to enter German market afterwards it is ok, however there would be some other schools in Germany that I would suggest rather, like Mannheim Business School for instance.

But, why nor shoot for Insead, HEC Paris, IMD ?

Of course you can boost your GMAT score, probably a lot, since show up without any prep.

Singapore Management University is good school, sometimes ranked better than EDHEC.

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... nking-2018

Now, I am confused with your target market ?

You want EU/UK or Asia or ?

There are a lot good schools that you can shoot for, if you decide to retake GMAT and apply next cycle.

Having said that, EDHEC is good school, but you can reach even better, that's all.

Regarding employment in EU I wouldn't care about that much, since with MBA and your experience you will be hot commodity after graduation.

I am going to guess that you come from Asia.

With your background and experience why not MSc in Finance or MFE for instance ?

Why not targeting UK market, they have best schools for Finance and most developed financial market in Europe ?

If Europe is your goal.

I am going to provide you with data for excellent schools that are in your reach for sure, in EU/Asian region, that you expressed interest for :

Average GMAT scores for MBA in UK

Saïd Business school Oxford Median GMAT 690

University of Cambridge (Judge) 680

Cranfield University 664

Warwick 658

Imperial College Business School 638

City University: Cass 635

Manchester Business School 630

Average GMAT scores for MBA in Europe | France, Spain, Switzerland

INSEAD 703 France

HEC – Paris 682 France

IMD 672 Switzerland

IE Business School 672 Spain

Mannheim Business School 671 Germany

IESE Business School – Navarra 669 Spain

SDA Bocconi 665 Italy

ESADE 660 Spain

University of St. Gallen 656 Switzerland

Average GMAT scores in Asia-Pac | India, Singapore, China, Australia

Indian School of Business 711 India

IIM-A PGPX 706 India

IIM-B EPGP 702 India

CEIBS 689 China

Melbourne Business School 677 Australia

HKUST (Hong Kong) 671 China

Nanyang (NTU) 670 Singapore

University of Hong Kong 664 China

National Univ of Singapore (NUS) 650 Singapore

Australian School of Business:AGSM 650 Australia

CUHK Business School 640 China

Since you based your targeting on Finance specialization, as you should, here it is most suitable rankings list for you, from FT for 2018:

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... nance-2018

You will notice that there is no EDHEC here in global top 50, although it is a good school.

You should exclude US schools from list, if you are not interested, and you will notice that most of the schools that I mention above are ranked.

Here it is another list that you may find useful :

https://www.topmba.com/mba-rankings/spe ... on/finance

It really comes to this, do you want/have to go to MBA this year ?

Where do you actually want to live and work ?

Can you defer maybe your admission from EDHEC for one year ?

Bottom line, you can reach best schools, top 20.

EDHEC is good school, Nice is excellent city and it is going to serve you well toward your career needs.

I wouldn't mind go there, its Côte d'Azur, man :) :cool: :ok

It just question what do you want at this point in you life, can you or should you wait.

Only you can answer that question.

If France/EU was your prime target, then with EDHEC you will do just fine.

Other top 20 schools would just open more options for you globally, however I wouldn't wait if I wanted to live/work in France/EU anyways.

Bonne Chance ! :cool: :thumbup: :fingers_crossed:

Your kudos are much appreciated

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GPA: 3.1
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: EDHEC or WHU Beisheim or SMU or Something else  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2018, 09:33
billionaire wrote:
Ravi-2026 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Hi ravi

Congrats on admission to EDHEC ! :thumbup:

Great School.

You are right, knowing French is certainly big asset for you, for EDHEC or any other French/Belgium/Switzerland/Quebec school.

WHU Beisheim is certainly below EDHEC in terms of rankings, but if you want to enter German market afterwards it is ok, however there would be some other schools in Germany that I would suggest rather, like Mannheim Business School for instance.

But, why nor shoot for Insead, HEC Paris, IMD ?

Of course you can boost your GMAT score, probably a lot, since show up without any prep.

Singapore Management University is good school, sometimes ranked better than EDHEC.

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... nking-2018

Now, I am confused with your target market ?

You want EU/UK or Asia or ?

There are a lot good schools that you can shoot for, if you decide to retake GMAT and apply next cycle.

Having said that, EDHEC is good school, but you can reach even better, that's all.

Regarding employment in EU I wouldn't care about that much, since with MBA and your experience you will be hot commodity after graduation.

I am going to guess that you come from Asia.

With your background and experience why not MSc in Finance or MFE for instance ?

Why not targeting UK market, they have best schools for Finance and most developed financial market in Europe ?

If Europe is your goal.

I am going to provide you with data for excellent schools that are in your reach for sure, in EU/Asian region, that you expressed interest for :

Average GMAT scores for MBA in UK

Saïd Business school Oxford Median GMAT 690

University of Cambridge (Judge) 680

Cranfield University 664

Warwick 658

Imperial College Business School 638

City University: Cass 635

Manchester Business School 630

Average GMAT scores for MBA in Europe | France, Spain, Switzerland

INSEAD 703 France

HEC – Paris 682 France

IMD 672 Switzerland

IE Business School 672 Spain

Mannheim Business School 671 Germany

IESE Business School – Navarra 669 Spain

SDA Bocconi 665 Italy

ESADE 660 Spain

University of St. Gallen 656 Switzerland

Average GMAT scores in Asia-Pac | India, Singapore, China, Australia

Indian School of Business 711 India

IIM-A PGPX 706 India

IIM-B EPGP 702 India

CEIBS 689 China

Melbourne Business School 677 Australia

HKUST (Hong Kong) 671 China

Nanyang (NTU) 670 Singapore

University of Hong Kong 664 China

National Univ of Singapore (NUS) 650 Singapore

Australian School of Business:AGSM 650 Australia

CUHK Business School 640 China

Since you based your targeting on Finance specialization, as you should, here it is most suitable rankings list for you, from FT for 2018:

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... nance-2018

You will notice that there is no EDHEC here in global top 50, although it is a good school.

You should exclude US schools from list, if you are not interested, and you will notice that most of the schools that I mention above are ranked.

Here it is another list that you may find useful :

https://www.topmba.com/mba-rankings/spe ... on/finance

It really comes to this, do you want/have to go to MBA this year ?

Where do you actually want to live and work ?

Can you defer maybe your admission from EDHEC for one year ?

Bottom line, you can reach best schools, top 20.

EDHEC is good school, Nice is excellent city and it is going to serve you well toward your career needs.

I wouldn't mind go there, its Côte d'Azur, man :) :cool: :ok

It just question what do you want at this point in you life, can you or should you wait.

Only you can answer that question.

If France/EU was your prime target, then with EDHEC you will do just fine.

Other top 20 schools would just open more options for you globally, however I wouldn't wait if I wanted to live/work in France/EU anyways.

Bonne Chance ! :cool: :thumbup: :fingers_crossed:

Firstly, let me just wholeheartedly thank you for taking the time to provide such a comprehensive and encouraging response. I would like to address some of your points and perhaps take further inputs from you if you have the time.

Yes, I am an Indian. I am a chartered accountant. So I have already spent many years in core finance and accounting. An MSC in finance might more of repetition at this points.

To address your question, I am open to EU and Asia Pacific markets. I am skeptical of US one. My intent was to look for an intensive one year B-School program that caters to experienced professionals. I am skeptical of UK with the issues on work permits. I am also unsure of Brexit implications.

To be very honest, time is not on my side at this stage. Waiting for another cycle might make things more difficult in terms of seniority and finding the right match in the industry. Plus, I think B school choices are fairly unpredictable. They look at variety of factors, especially the so called story of the candidate. I was pretty clear on not pursuing stint in community service to suck up to a school. Plus, there are diversity considerations.

Yes, I will take the GMAT again. But I think it is more to test my limits more than anything else.

Thanks again for your valuable inputs.
Re: EDHEC or WHU Beisheim or SMU or Something else &nbs [#permalink] 13 Jul 2018, 09:33

EDHEC or WHU Beisheim or SMU or Something else

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap