GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 07:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

EMBA Global (LBS and CBS) vs Kellogg

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
EMBA Global (LBS and CBS) vs Kellogg  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 08:58
Hi Guys.

I have got admission for Executive MBA in Kellogg Northwestern (Miami Campus) and EMBA - Global (Americas and Europe), Joint program offered by London Business School and Columbia"

I live in Miami and have 13 years of experience in Logistics and supply chain. Kellogg is logistically convenient however if we exclude convenience and financial part that part what should be my choice.

My goal is to take senior position in General Management. I have US passport and don't have any specific location preference for career (Open for US, Africa, Middle east and Asia)

Is one program better vs other significantly, what areas each program excels. What you would have done if you were in my situation.

Appreciate your comments.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
EMBA Global (LBS and CBS) vs Kellogg  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 09:28
Welcome to GMAT Club!

Congrats on your admits to these prestigious programs!
There is a bit less information and feedback about EMBA's in general since these tend to be smaller and students are more private than the average FT applicants. Here are a few thoughts, for you however:

1. Campus - it always helps to be close to the campus as you can network, get involved in the events, mixers, career fairs, etc. At the same time, I don't know really how helpful Miami campus is. My understanding is that it is a great hub for the Latin America connection as many folks from South and Central America fly in for their classes on the weekends but that's not one of the locations you have listed in your post and not sure how eager those employers are to hire US folks. I see mostly people moving to the US from CALA.

2. Schedule - for CBS/LBS you have to take 1 week off every month. Can you do that? That would blow through my vacation pretty quickly and then require many unpaid leaves. Would your employer be OK with that? In terms of location, it is what it is but obviously being local has some advantages and you won't likely have your business trips overlap with classes as much. At the same time, you can optimize your travel patterns to NYC and LONDON and likely have quite a few classes online.

3. Global Brand: If you are looking to be global, LBS and CBS would be a great combination. Both have strong names in the world, stronger than Kellogg or Northwestern, so would help with recruiting.

4. Networking & Job opportunities - EMBA's are not really designed for job placements and they don't invite employers to recruiting EMBA events, so your networking will mostly happen either off campus (you doing the heavy lifting) or through your classmates - must faster/easier/likely path. If you are not planning to work in CALA and likely those folks may also be networking, then it may not be the best spot. New York and London seem to be much more open to opportunities of bumping into some global opportunities but you never know - better chances are not a guarantee of success, they are just better chances.

5. Kellogg - something to note about Kellogg is that they are really good about inviting and including PT and EMBA students into their FT events, so things such as career fairs, speakers, and on campus recruiting would be open to you in Chicago. There is a bit of a question whether the jobs employers coming to campus and interviewing 27 year-olds are what you are interested in. In my BSchool I have one time ventured out into the undergrad campus for a recruiting event, but to my surprised I could not get any interest in my resume as all recruiters were focused on undergrads and they had no idea what to do with me. I quickly left, so not sure if this would be of value or a mismatch.

Bottom line: I think you have a bit of a research to do and figure out how much recruiting/value you can get from the Miami campus. Since EMBA does not usually involve a recruiting component, since it assumes you will be staying with your current employer, you may need to chat with a few current students to get an idea of the student body and networking potential. At the same time, it may be hard to be gone 1 week each month - it seems like a really cool experience though if you can pull that off.
Attachments

cbs-lbs-emba.png
cbs-lbs-emba.png [ 211.08 KiB | Viewed 417 times ]

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
Re: EMBA Global (LBS and CBS) vs Kellogg  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 18:20
Thanks for your detailed response.

I am not planning to go to LATAM mainly due to language barrier. The class profile for Columbia / LBS seems quite impressive. Was not ale to find detailed profile for Kellogg EMBA online yet.

You are right approx. 50% of Students in Kellogg - Miami are international however more then half of them are from LA/CA region which leave me only few options within US and Europe.

I have to get approval from my employer for days away from work which might be challenging but possible. What other universities / programs you would recommend. I have 13+ years of managerial experience across 3 regions. My Executive Assessemnt score is 161 (IR/18, VR/11, QR/12).

Regards
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: EMBA Global (LBS and CBS) vs Kellogg  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2018, 07:59
In terms of other options, there are the usual suspects: Booth and Wharton EMBA's.
More exotic options to explore are the Online Cross-continent MBA from Fuqua and the 1-year Full TIme Stanford MSX program for people with 10+ years of WE, though they may entail taking the GMAT or GRE. There is also of course the INSEAD, which will take older applicants but again requires GMAT and other pesky things EMBA does not.

Those are the immediate things that come to mind.
BB.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

GMAT Club Bot
Re: EMBA Global (LBS and CBS) vs Kellogg &nbs [#permalink] 26 Sep 2018, 07:59

EMBA Global (LBS and CBS) vs Kellogg

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap