GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2019, 00:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

EMBA Profile Evaluation Request

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.7
WE: Analyst (Retail Banking)
EMBA Profile Evaluation Request  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2019, 13:27
UG - 3.7 in ECE From india (GITAM univ)
and MS - 3.67 in EE From US

I have a work experience of 10 years mostly concentrated in data analytics and reporting. work experience - 50% consulting and 50% Full time. 80% of the time i worked in Finance industry and I am considering to do my EMBA. Currently working as a Sr solutions consultant in professional services for an analytical software company in Cary, NC area.

I am part of a Digital board for non profit organization.

I am giving my EA in Feb 2020.

I wanted to apply for Wharton, Duke, Kellog and Sloan EMBA's.

My short term plan to become a manager in the current firm and long term plan to grow vertically in a Financial industry in Analytical domain.

Can you please evaluate my profile and suggest whether I have a chance or not or what I need to do to get into one of those colleges.

Thank you all in advance.
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge
Re: EMBA Profile Evaluation Request  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2019, 14:46
Hi iamfirestar,
Thanks for reaching out. The EMBA application is a holistic process, with most of the emphasis placed on your work experience/track record, leadership potential, recommendations, and contribution you'll make to your EMBA cohort. I think it's useful to think about how your work experience and perspective might be a bit different from other applicants (perhaps the analytical focus?) so you can show you'll bring a strong point of view to classroom discussions. You academic UG/MS background is really strong, and I hope the EA goes well for you (I keep hearing that 150+ is a good target score). Those elements are important, but not the most important from what I've seen. In any case, it's good you'll have a strong foundation there.

In terms of work experience, 10 years is a good point to apply for an EMBA. (That is the minimum required in fact for Sloan's EMBA). What I'm less certain of is how much management / leadership experience you have if you've been in a consulting role? Perhaps you can show thought leadership and client management, even if you don't have formal responsibility for a team?

Do you have strong people who can write your recommendation letters? Ideal if they are highly ranked individuals, but ultimately they should be people who know you really well.

The non profit work is great too, and schools will value that involvement, especially at a board level.

So I think if you can address the leadership point above, and execute strong applications, you should have a positive experience with some of the schools on your list. I feel best about your chances at Duke and Kellogg.

Hope that helps!
Kate

iamfirestar wrote:

I have a work experience of 10 years mostly concentrated in data analytics and reporting. work experience - 50% consulting and 50% Full time. 80% of the time i worked in Finance industry and I am considering to do my EMBA. Currently working as a Sr solutions consultant in professional services for an analytical software company in Cary, NC area.

My short term plan to become a manager in the current firm and long term plan to grow vertically in a Financial industry in Analytical domain.

Can you please evaluate my profile and suggest whether I have a chance or not or what I need to do to get into one of those colleges.

Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.7
WE: Analyst (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2019, 15:48
mbaMissionKate wrote:
Hi iamfirestar,
Thanks for reaching out. The EMBA application is a holistic process, with most of the emphasis placed on your work experience/track record, leadership potential, recommendations, and contribution you'll make to your EMBA cohort. I think it's useful to think about how your work experience and perspective might be a bit different from other applicants (perhaps the analytical focus?) so you can show you'll bring a strong point of view to classroom discussions. You academic UG/MS background is really strong, and I hope the EA goes well for you (I keep hearing that 150+ is a good target score). Those elements are important, but not the most important from what I've seen. In any case, it's good you'll have a strong foundation there.

In terms of work experience, 10 years is a good point to apply for an EMBA. (That is the minimum required in fact for Sloan's EMBA). What I'm less certain of is how much management / leadership experience you have if you've been in a consulting role? Perhaps you can show thought leadership and client management, even if you don't have formal responsibility for a team?

Do you have strong people who can write your recommendation letters? Ideal if they are highly ranked individuals, but ultimately they should be people who know you really well.

The non profit work is great too, and schools will value that involvement, especially at a board level.

So I think if you can address the leadership point above, and execute strong applications, you should have a positive experience with some of the schools on your list. I feel best about your chances at Duke and Kellogg.

Hope that helps!
Kate

iamfirestar wrote:

Thank You Kate.

I don't have any management experience or people reporting to me at any point of my career because most of my career as experience professional is in consulting.

This is the main reason I wanted to do EMBA to grow vertically in my current org. I am thinking to give FRM before applying to the schools and I have SAS certifications which adds to my analytical background.

Can you suggest anything more that I can do in the next year to better my chances to get an admission at Duke or Kellog.

Thank you in advance.
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2019, 09:47
Hi again,

Aside from the EA, schools will consider additional certifications as part of your academic profile. So yes, those could help but I would pursue ones that will also help in your future career path. Do you have any international experience? That could help add something extra to your profile, but I'm not sure what's possible.

Otherwise, I would try to find ways to increase your leadership -- it could be through non profit work, serving on an extra committee at work, taking on an extra role to informally mentor juniors or help with recruiting, etc.

Lastly, I would research and engage with your target programs. Go visit, see if you can sit in on an EMBA class, and talk to current students in the program. Perhaps even see if an Admissions rep is willing to set up a 1:1 meeting to discuss your profile and fit with the program (I find that EMBA programs are typically more open to these types of meetings).

Good luck!
Kate

iamfirestar wrote:

Thank You Kate.

I don't have any management experience or people reporting to me at any point of my career because most of my career as experience professional is in consulting.

This is the main reason I wanted to do EMBA to grow vertically in my current org. I am thinking to give FRM before applying to the schools and I have SAS certifications which adds to my analytical background.

Can you suggest anything more that I can do in the next year to better my chances to get an admission at Duke or Kellog.

Thank you in advance.

Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

EMBA Profile Evaluation Request

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate