Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 18 Jul 2019, 06:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Employees at a company will vote for an executive team of five people

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 56251
Employees at a company will vote for an executive team of five people  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2015, 06:08
2
5
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

59% (02:02) correct 41% (02:01) wrong based on 147 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics


Employees at a company will vote for an executive team of five people from eight qualified candidates. The executive team consists of a president, a treasurer, and three warrant officers. If an executive team is considered different if any of the same people hold different offices, then how many possible executive teams could be selected from the eight candidates?

A. 56
B. 120
C. 210
D. 1120
E. 6720



Kudos for a correct solution.

_________________
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: A mind once opened never loses..!
Joined: 05 Mar 2015
Posts: 203
Location: India
MISSION : 800
WE: Design (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Employees at a company will vote for an executive team of five people  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2015, 06:45
hi

Here first we'll select 5 out of 8 ie 8C5
now arrange it at 5 different positions [8C5] * 5! = 6720
_________________
Thank you

+KUDOS

> I CAN, I WILL <
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7764
Re: Employees at a company will vote for an executive team of five people  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2015, 07:01
1
1
iaak wrote:
hi

Here first we'll select 5 out of 8 ie 8C5
now arrange it at 5 different positions [8C5] * 5! = 6720


hi iaak,

you are missing out on one important point..
If an executive team is considered different if any of the same people hold different offices,....
so you will not have answer as 6720..
president could be by any of 8 person..
treasurer could be any out of remaining 7 person..
remaining three order does not matter, so we have to choose 3 out of 6=6c3=20..
total ways= 8*7*20=1120..
ans D...
_________________
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: A mind once opened never loses..!
Joined: 05 Mar 2015
Posts: 203
Location: India
MISSION : 800
WE: Design (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Employees at a company will vote for an executive team of five people  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2015, 07:08
chetan2u wrote:
iaak wrote:
hi

Here first we'll select 5 out of 8 ie 8C5
now arrange it at 5 different positions [8C5] * 5! = 6720


hi iaak,

you are missing out on one important point..
If an executive team is considered different if any of the same people hold different offices,....
so you will not have answer as 6720..
president could be by any of 8 person..
treasurer could be any out of remaining 7 person..
remaining three order does not matter, so we have to choose 3 out of 6=6c3=20..
total ways= 8*7*20=1120..
ans D...


Probably you are right my friend P & C is where am not good

Plz elaborate
question says that each team will be considered different as one person can hold multiple positions.
Can one guy be in all 5 positions.
i am not able to understand
_________________
Thank you

+KUDOS

> I CAN, I WILL <
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7764
Re: Employees at a company will vote for an executive team of five people  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2015, 07:19
iaak wrote:

Probably you are right my friend P & C is where am not good

Plz elaborate
question says that each team will be considered different as one person can hold multiple positions.
Can one guy be in all 5 positions.
i am not able to understand


hi ,
ill try to explain it to you..
th important point is..
If an executive team is considered different if any of the same people hold different offices
say 8 person are aA,B,C,D,E,F,G,H...
Let one way be
president is A..
treasurer is B..
members.. C,D,E.... now if members become D,C,E these will be same.. and it will change if one goes out say C,D,F...
this is the reason we divide the answer you have got by 3!.. as these 3 people can be placed in 3! amongst themselves...
your answer 6720(including ways where each set order has been taken separate..) so answer =6720/3!=6720/6=1120
hope it helped
_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 26 May 2013
Posts: 94
Employees at a company will vote for an executive team of five people  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2015, 15:10
2
It's best to look at this question one part at a time.

8 total employees 5 potential executives. = 8!/5!3! = 56

Those 5 executives are made up of P, T, W,W,W. Use an anagram grid here to determine the total here. = 5!/3! = 20.

Multiply 56 by 20 and your answer is 1120.

D.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 14 Sep 2014
Posts: 106
Concentration: Technology, Finance
WE: Analyst (Other)
Employees at a company will vote for an executive team of five people  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2015, 18:33
dpo28 wrote:
Plz elaborate
question says that each team will be considered different as one person can hold multiple positions.
Can one guy be in all 5 positions.


"...if any of the same people hold different positions" does not mean one person holds multiple positions. It means that the group is considered different only if the roles change.

You could be the first warrant officer selected in one group and the second warrant officer selected in the next group, but you are still a warrant officer either way. Your position has not changed, so the group is not "different" unless other people were moved around in the other roles. However, if you were president in one group and a warrant officer in a separate group, then the groups are considered different.

This is why we must divide by 3! to account for the combinations that just rotate the positions of the warrant officers but do not change the president or treasurer.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: A mind once opened never loses..!
Joined: 05 Mar 2015
Posts: 203
Location: India
MISSION : 800
WE: Design (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Employees at a company will vote for an executive team of five people  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2015, 05:21
chetan2u wrote:
iaak wrote:

Probably you are right my friend P & C is where am not good

Plz elaborate
question says that each team will be considered different as one person can hold multiple positions.
Can one guy be in all 5 positions.
i am not able to understand


hi ,
ill try to explain it to you..
th important point is..
If an executive team is considered different if any of the same people hold different offices
say 8 person are aA,B,C,D,E,F,G,H...
Let one way be
president is A..
treasurer is B..
members.. C,D,E.... now if members become D,C,E these will be same.. and it will change if one goes out say C,D,F...
this is the reason we divide the answer you have got by 3!.. as these 3 people can be placed in 3! amongst themselves...
your answer 6720(including ways where each set order has been taken separate..) so answer =6720/3!=6720/6=1120
hope it helped



Hi
thanks for your reply
I get it now :)
_________________
Thank you

+KUDOS

> I CAN, I WILL <
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Feb 2015
Posts: 45
Employees at a company will vote for an executive team of five people  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 15 Mar 2015, 21:47
2
Total number of candidates = 8
Total number of selections = 5
Number of ways to choose president=8
Number of ways to choose treasurer=7
considering all three warrant officer positions same, =6C3=20
Total way = 8x7x20=1120
(D)
_________________
Kudos if it helped you in any way

Originally posted by masoomdon on 12 Mar 2015, 05:56.
Last edited by masoomdon on 15 Mar 2015, 21:47, edited 1 time in total.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 56251
Re: Employees at a company will vote for an executive team of five people  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2015, 21:28
Bunuel wrote:
Employees at a company will vote for an executive team of five people from eight qualified candidates. The executive team consists of a president, a treasurer, and three warrant officers. If an executive team is considered different if any of the same people hold different offices, then how many possible executive teams could be selected from the eight candidates?

A. 56
B. 120
C. 210
D. 1120
E. 6720



Kudos for a correct solution.


MAGOOSH OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

We can use a quick formula for this. We have to go back to the Fundamental Counting Principle and think this through.

Choice #1: for the president, we have eight choices

Choice #2: for the treasurer, we have seven remaining choices

Choice #3: we have to pick 3 warrant officers from the remaining 6. This would be
6C3 = 20 choices.

The FCP tells us to multiply the number of choices in each selection:
8*7*20 = 56*20 = 1120 choices — Answer = (D)
_________________
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 04 Aug 2010
Posts: 435
Schools: Dartmouth College
Re: Employees at a company will vote for an executive team of five people  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2018, 14:02
Bunuel wrote:
Employees at a company will vote for an executive team of five people from eight qualified candidates. The executive team consists of a president, a treasurer, and three warrant officers. If an executive team is considered different if any of the same people hold different offices, then how many possible executive teams could be selected from the eight candidates?

A. 56
B. 120
C. 210
D. 1120
E. 6720


Number of options for president = 8. (Any of the 8 candidates.)
Number of options for treasurer = 7. (Any of the 7 remaining candidates.)
From the 6 remaining people, the number of ways to choose 3 to serve as warrant officers = 6C3 = (6*5*4)/(3*2*1) = 20.
To combine these options, we multiply:
8*7*20 = 1120


_________________
GMAT and GRE Tutor
Over 1800 followers
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
New York, NY
If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" icon.
Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Employees at a company will vote for an executive team of five people   [#permalink] 18 Aug 2018, 14:02
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Employees at a company will vote for an executive team of five people

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne