GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 03:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

EMPOWERgmat-good purchase to boost score in a month?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.85
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
EMPOWERgmat-good purchase to boost score in a month?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 01:31
I have just started preparing for GMAT two weeks ago and i have less than a month left to prepare for the test.

Would you recommend me to purchase EMPOWERgmat to boost my score?

I have only done the diagnostic test once and my score was 650. My goal is to get 720 or above.

Winning isn’t everything, but wanting to win is. –Vince Lombardi

It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all- In which case, you fail by default. -J.K. Rowling

Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. -Steve Jobs

"The difference between successful people and others is how long they spend time feeling sorry for themselves."

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: EMPOWERgmat-good purchase to boost score in a month?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 14:55
Hi Gem,

In your prior posts, you stated that you started studying in late August (and took your first practice CAT - the 650) at that time. Since it's now almost 3 months later, it would help to know a bit more about how you have been studying during that time.

1) What type of study routine have you been following? Did you take any 'time off' from your studies during the last 3 months?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) What is your exact Test Date?

If you have only taken that one practice CAT, then we really need to know more about your current skills, strengths and weaknesses, so I suggest that you take another CAT sometime soon. Once you have that Score, you should report back and we can discuss how best to proceed.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 17:39
Thanks Rich! I studied for awhile last year but stopped because of my intense work schedule until last month I decided I should finally give it a go. So my time off was pretty long and I have to start everything from scratch. I study for 1-2 hours in the morning on the weekday and about 6-8 hours on the weekend/ holiday.

I m still using OG2018 and Manhattan Prep (all books).

My test day is Xmas eve 24th Dec

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all- In which case, you fail by default. -J.K. Rowling

Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. -Steve Jobs

"The difference between successful people and others is how long they spend time feeling sorry for themselves."

Intern
Intern
B
Affiliations: IT
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
EMPOWERgmat-good purchase to boost score in a month?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 18:25
Nothing can beat OG and official GMAT prep CATS. They are the only accurate resources.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 21:04
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Gem,

In your prior posts, you stated that you started studying in late August (and took your first practice CAT - the 650) at that time. Since it's now almost 3 months later, it would help to know a bit more about how you have been studying during that time.

1) What type of study routine have you been following? Did you take any 'time off' from your studies during the last 3 months?

If you have only taken that one practice CAT, then we really need to know more about your current skills, strengths and weaknesses, so I suggest that you take another CAT sometime soon. Once you have that Score, you should report back and we can discuss how best to proceed.

Rich

Just done my CAT ... only 610. So hopeless. And I just have about three weeks left ...

Attachments

E1DA2915-F8C6-4D67-AFF2-650C16C415E1.jpeg
E1DA2915-F8C6-4D67-AFF2-650C16C415E1.jpeg [ 5.64 MiB | Viewed 238 times ]

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 21:40
gempony wrote:
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Gem,

Rich

Just done my CAT ... only 610. So hopeless. And I just have about three weeks left ...

also attached my very first CAT score. doing worse in verbal in my 2nd CAT paid a big price indeed
Attachments

GMAT CAT 1.jpg
GMAT CAT 1.jpg [ 1.36 MiB | Viewed 216 times ]

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2018, 15:27
Hi Gem,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so since your studies have been inconsistent - and with long breaks 'in between' - then that would help to explain why you have not scored higher yet.

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your 2 CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 630 +/- a few points). Thus, this 610 isn't that far off from your prior 650. You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. That having been said, if your general 'ability level' is around a 630, then raising a 630 to a 720+ would likely require at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study - and you would have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level; from what you describe, your studies have been book heavy, so it's possible that you have gotten stuck too. Even the best books are limited in what they can teach you; they also can't force you to approach questions in a certain way and their explanations are often one-sided. This is meant to say that you might need to invest in, and train with, some new, non-book materials before you can get to the point that you are consistently scoring in the 700s.

In your prior posts, you did not appear to be facing any immediate deadlines, so you don't have to 'rush in' to take the Official GMAT in December. You might want to consider pushing back your Test Date and giving yourself more time to learn the proper Quant and Verbal Tactics. If you could follow the general study routine you've described for the next 2 months while working with some new study materials, then I bet that you could score significantly higher.

1) Do you have the flexibility to push back your Test Date to the end of January or early February?

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2018, 17:48
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Gem,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so since your studies have been inconsistent - and with long breaks 'in between' - then that would help to explain why you have not scored higher yet.

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your 2 CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 630 +/- a few points). Thus, this 610 isn't that far off from your prior 650. You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. That having been said, if your general 'ability level' is around a 630, then raising a 630 to a 720+ would likely require at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study - and you would have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level; from what you describe, your studies have been book heavy, so it's possible that you have gotten stuck too. Even the best books are limited in what they can teach you; they also can't force you to approach questions in a certain way and their explanations are often one-sided. This is meant to say that you might need to invest in, and train with, some new, non-book materials before you can get to the point that you are consistently scoring in the 700s.

In your prior posts, you did not appear to be facing any immediate deadlines, so you don't have to 'rush in' to take the Official GMAT in December. You might want to consider pushing back your Test Date and giving yourself more time to learn the proper Quant and Verbal Tactics. If you could follow the general study routine you've described for the next 2 months while working with some new study materials, then I bet that you could score significantly higher.

1) Do you have the flexibility to push back your Test Date to the end of January or early February?

Rich

Thanks Rich ... unfortunately I m aiming at meeting the January application deadlines so I can’t push back my test date further... and all the subsequent dates before those deadlines have been filled.

Would u recommend I focus all my attention to verbal since it has a bigger impact on my overall GMAT score?

I have also stopped the book heavy tactic - no longer practicing the easy questions that I know like the back of my hand... but concentrating on the ones I got wrong and the strategies to get them right.

In light of this tight time frame, what else can be done to make a major improvement in my final gmat score ?

Thanks!!

Gem

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2018, 19:15
Hi Gem,

In a prior post, you stated that you planned to apply to some highly-competitive Schools (LBS, Wharton, Booth, etc.), so a high GMAT Score will almost certainly be a 'must-have.' Beyond that GMAT Score though, you need a strong Overall profile and you need to properly 'market yourself' to each individual Program that you plan to apply to. Right now, you appear to be making decisions based on deadlines - but that might not be the best choice. There is NO benefit to 'rushing in' an application if it's not strong enough to earn you an invite to the Program that you apply to. As such, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and application plans - so that you can put together a proper application strategy/timeline. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

Based on these CAT Scores, you have a bigger opportunity to pick up points in the Verbal section, so if you're going to stick to this current Test Date, then focusing on Verbal content, Tactics and patterns would likely be the best use of your time. That having been said, your Overall Score Goal would likely still require MORE study time than you have currently allotted (likely 2 months).

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2018, 19:25
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Gem,

In a prior post, you stated that you planned to apply to some highly-competitive Schools (LBS, Wharton, Booth, etc.), so a high GMAT Score will almost certainly be a 'must-have.' Beyond that GMAT Score though, you need a strong Overall profile and you need to properly 'market yourself' to each individual Program that you plan to apply to. Right now, you appear to be making decisions based on deadlines - but that might not be the best choice. There is NO benefit to 'rushing in' an application if it's not strong enough to earn you an invite to the Program that you apply to. As such, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and application plans - so that you can put together a proper application strategy/timeline. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

Based on these CAT Scores, you have a bigger opportunity to pick up points in the Verbal section, so if you're going to stick to this current Test Date, then focusing on Verbal content, Tactics and patterns would likely be the best use of your time. That having been said, your Overall Score Goal would likely still require MORE study time than you have currently allotted (likely 2 months).

Rich

Thanks Rich! You have made some fair points... It might be wiser if i just pushed back my application. Since I have already signed up for test, i guess i will give it a go anyways, see how i do in the actual test environment.

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2018, 19:43
Hi Gem,

The Admissions Experts might find your overall application to be strong enough that you might not 'need' a GMAT Score in the high-600s or 700s. Thus, if you really just need to pick up a few points in the Verbal section, then I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Verbal Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients finish that Study Plan in under a month, so it should fit your schedule. During that time, you'll also be able to access any of the Quant resources that interest you. We have a variety of free resources on our site (www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an account.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2018, 20:16
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Gem,

The Admissions Experts might find your overall application to be strong enough that you might not 'need' a GMAT Score in the high-600s or 700s. Thus, if you really just need to pick up a few points in the Verbal section, then I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Verbal Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients finish that Study Plan in under a month, so it should fit your schedule. During that time, you'll also be able to access any of the Quant resources that interest you. We have a variety of free resources on our site (http://www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an account.

Rich

Hi Rich,

I dont think my application is strong overall. I have not won any major awards or m not running any start up. The company I m working for is not that well-known. So I might really need a great score to make my application stronger.

I have already purchased the empowergmat one month booster. It seems pretty helpful as it gives me some concrete directions on approaching the verbal questions that i find most challenging... hope i can make a major improvement in a short time.

Gem

GMAT Club Bot
Re: EMPOWERgmat-good purchase to boost score in a month? &nbs [#permalink] 03 Dec 2018, 20:16

EMPOWERgmat-good purchase to boost score in a month?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap