Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:44 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1538 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
Derek

We try to provide as much ease of learning as possible. If you would like to make a list of threads in a seperate thread, i would be more than happy to lead the effort. I need your help for doing this right.

In general,

here are two guides on the club that may help you start.

Please spend a few days understanding the material. We have tried to keep it as simple as we can.

We have touched on quite a few problems in Probability and Combinations in our Questions Collection. You may consider buying those.

Next, the good place to apply your knowledge gained is the category based problems. I and a couple of other members regularly move good quality and representative problems into those forums. We have classified it into Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced categories. As you get more and more familiar with the problems, it would be easier for you to solve the problems.

Finally, there is absolutely no harm in solving tougher problems. If you dont understand something, feel free to ask.

Getting a problem right or wrong should never be the PRIMARY objective. Its about learning a concept and applying it to unlimited number of problems. Practise is good, but more importantly the concept should be very strong. tougher problems force you to think harder and help you improve upon your fundamentals.

Hope this helps. I will start that thread soon

Praetorian

Derek wrote:
Hi PAUL,

I know its too late to congratulate you but CONGRATULATIONS for having such an excellent score. I was out of town so i didn`t check this club for a while.

But you deserve this score and i would say more than that, the way you explain all the answers in maths and especially SC.

Nice to see that you, crackgmat, venksune, Kpadma and many more r still willing to help future GMATers. At this point, i would say that like me there r many people here who feel difficulties in Comb, Perm and Probability Problems and though there r so many problems discussed on these topics but unfortunately they`re not arranged according to the level and difficulty of GMAT. Some r so difficult to solve and the newcomers don`t know whether its worth to solve these problems.

I`d request all the persons who have taken their GMAT and know the level of these problems , and can arrange these problems according to GMAT standard and not beyond that. Those can that be put in GMAT Lessons. That would be a great great help to all the newcomers like me here.

I hope that BB and all the newcomers would like this idea.

Thanks.
Derek.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
Re: End of a Quest: 710 (Q49V38) [#permalink]
Dear Paul,

My heartiest congratulations. Only very few guys on the earth have the goals set and derive the pleasure of accomplishing them. You deserve the success earnt through consistency, diligence, adherence and persistence.

Cheers,
Chandra

(Coming back after very long time because of work schedules)

Paul wrote:
Dear fellow members, my quest is finally over. After a year of intense studying at GMATclub, I have fulfilled my promise: To break the 7XX club. It has been a long journey but one that I am most thankful to for it has taught me the principle of discipline and has allowed me to cross path with many invaluable GMATclub fellow members. I would first like to thank:

BB, Praetorian: You guys are doing a formidable job keeping up this site and it has allowed me to reach a score I would have never dreamed of 2 years ago.
Akamai: You have taught me how to study in the most rigorous way. Your challenging problems really put my grey cells to work.
Stolyar: You were a forever source of inspiration to me and your contribution to this forum are beyonds what words can describe.
Anandnk and Kpadma: I owe much of my score to you guys. We had great discussions this last year and I am forever grateful to have studied with you guys.
Venksune: As of late, we had much interaction and much discussions going on. Thank you for that and for wishing me good luck before G-day. I'm sure you will do great in your own quest my friend.
Crackgmat750: Your own "musing" was so great an inspiration to me. It allowed me to believe in myself.
NEWKID: I'm sure you can score well on the GMAT buddy. I can see your improvement in the verbal section. You are a model to many GMATclub forum members in that you strive to explain your answers with excruciating detail. This is how you will do better on the GMAT. Believe me.
Hardworkerindian, Dharmin, Vivek_dj, carsen, dookie, OlegC, gmatblast, dj, Bhai, Srijay: You guys were the members from whom I benefited a great deal. Thank you all for your inputs. Other members, also let me thank you for your contributions and forgive me if I forgot to mention your names.

Here are my practice scores:
Kaplan diagnostic: 670
Kaplan#1: 600(Q40V32)
Kaplan#2: 600Q46V30)
Kaplan#3: 640(??)
Kaplan#4: 670(Q50V37)
PR2004#1: 730(Q45V47)
PR2004#2: 680(Q45V39)
PR2004#3: 710(Q45V43)
PR2005#1: 650(48V33)
PR2005#2: 710(Q48V41)
PR2005#3: 710(Q51V38)
PT42: 700
PT31: 710
PT52: 740
PT14: 730
PT55: 720
PT48: 680
PT37: 720
PT28: 780
PT25: 780
GMAT: 710(Q49V38)

There are many things that I want to say but for the moment, it is all I can say for there are many people I have neglected in my journey and I have to take good care of them. I will let you know about the exam day and my study approach very soon. Also, I will definitely stay around to help this community evolve and help future GMAT takers in the best of my capacity.

Paul
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey Paul,

I'm a newbie to this forum and i have always been so intimidated when i glance at your total no. of posts. I also wondered if at all you had plans to challenge the beast or perhaps you had already done so! Indeed, i prayed for whatever plans you had following your relentless efforts in GC.

Yes, I know this is coming rather late, but i must say CONGRATULATIONS to you on your score. I am so glad for you and indeed your success motivates me. Keep the flag flying.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks a lot guys and believe me, if I can do it, you can also do it; just put in the commensurate effort :boxer2 Also, good to see you back mallelac. It is always a pleasure to see good old members again. I would like to cover some material which I used and made me achieve my goal.

Kaplan800: This is a must even though you have the regular Kaplan CD 200X. This does not come with a CD but will go in great depth discussing many fundamental questions.
Barron(12th edition): Hmmm, there is nothing positive that comes to mind. I can't even believe that it is the student's #1 choice for the GMAT as they advertise it to be. The CD is just buggy and many quant questions are so not representative of the actual GMAT. You will find many pie charts and histograms but I have yet to find questions containing such graphs in the actual exam. Also, many of the SC questions are testing such arcane and subtle differences that they are litterally not representative of the actual exam. I remember that "grandmother" question which was so ambiguous. You will find it if you run a search on GMATClub and you will see what I mean.
Peterson/Thomson: Quant is ok but there are a few errors on their quant part which drove me nuts. Also, some function questions are not too great. It contains a few probability questions and well enough explained although it does not sufficiently cover that area. As for verbal, SC is GREAT. Many questions are super and of very good quality. However, CR are somewhat of a stretch. Too many EXCEPT questions which definitely take you more than 2 min to solve. Also, many of them I posted here and nobody agreed with the OA. RC are particularly challenging and similar in that respect to Kaplan RC. I would not recommend this for unexperimented test takers though but instead stick to normal material such as PR or OG, I'll get to that later.
Arco/Thomson: I liked the questions in general although math was definitely easier than the actual GMAT. In my last attempt, I based myself on their Paper Test but it did not penalize you appropriately for getting wrong answers and also was too generous on their scaled scores. Hence, I always score 710 to 780 range whereas Kaplan CAT would give me something hovering around the 600. However, we know how difficult Kaplan CAT is :? .
PR200X: This is another GEM. By the way, buy the 2005 version, not any earlier version. The newest version corrected many glitches with the previous versions(repeat RC, not underlined SC) and includes more representative GMAT type questions such as Bold Faced CR and permutation&Combination questions which no other CAT test prep which I used included. Even the Kaplan 2004 did not have any of these type of questions.
Kaplan+CD: Their paper test in the book is relatively representative of your potential score provided that you timed yourself. Remember that while doing ANY paper tests, it is very important that you time yourself to have an accurate potential score for one thing the GMAT will do so. Your diagnostic CAT score should be slightly higher than the full test ones because it is not as intense and has fewer questions. Do not worry if your score is lower than on other material which you used; it is totally normal to see scores around the low 600 and end up with 700+(it happened to me and many others). One thing I find great with Kaplan CAT is that it will really pump the adrenaline out of you so that you really have the actual GMAT rush. Remember that in the end, you should spend about half as much time analyzing your wrong AND right answers to make sure that you learned CONCEPTS, not A,B,C,D or E.
OG 10th edition: This is considered the GMAT bible. I would not walk in the testing center without going thoroughly through this book. PS are all easier than the actual exam but will give you the general idea of how such problems are constructed. DS is also easier except for the last 60 questions. Even someone who has 50+in Quant, could end up missing 5+ DS questions in a row. I remember missing 8-9 of those DS questions in a row towards the end and almost freaked out but realized that with the proper analysis, the concepts could be learned after those mistakes. I would however suggest you to go through OG AFTER you have been through the PowerPrep CD because the latter is made up of OG questions. If you do OG first, your PowerPrep scores will be contaminated.
Old Paper Tests: These are old retired official GMAT questions. Agree that many of these are to be found in the OG, especially RC, but there are also many new ones. These PT, done under timed condition, were really a good gauge of my own score. Because these are actual GMAT questions, their quality is very good. There is a total of 9 and they are sold in bundles of 3 for 25$ at https://www.mba.com.
885SC: These are very good practice if you ran out of material. Even though you did not, you should still go through these. I did not at first but realized how good material they were by answering many of them answered here on the website. You can download these from gmatclub at the "verbal lesson" section.

Last but not least, participate in the GMAT-challenges and math/verbal forums. I already mentioned this but you will see a good increase in your skills by joining a discussion forum with people with similar goals. The above are the material I used. You may not need as much to reach your target score but it should give you an idea of what to start with if you are new to the GMAT or are starting from scratch.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey Paul,

CONGRATS man!
Sorry for a late response! Was not well!
Man scores are not the real reflection of an individual's capabilities! i believe that you are an 800 stuff! You have been my role model for my quest for GMAT (specifically for the Verbal section)
And I wish you all the best for your application!

Again GMATCLUB and people like you were the best that could have happened to me to achieve my tagets!

I will go out today and celebrate your score! And I am not joking! :-D

Take care,
MBA
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Paul,

Contratulations for being 7xx club member....

you deserve the 700+ gmat score. you also deserve all appreciation words that GMAT club members spent here to respond your gmat result. i believe many active members know that you are most preferred and active member of the GMAT club (if i am not undermining others). it wont be exgaration to say that everybody who has gone throuh your was not impressed from your postings. i am not an exception. it would be unjustice/unfair with you, if we do not appreciate your efforts. Thanks to you for your clear and precise clearifications and explanations in a highly mannerful ways.

In the meantime, we must thank Pretorian for providing an oppertunity to interact and share a common issue (GMAT) through this forum. Because of his brilliant ideas, we are able to exchange our ideas and share our feelings.

I believe you will keep on share your further developments. goodluck for the same.

MA
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thank you very much MA and mba. Your praises are more than I deserve but they are also the reason why I stuck to GMATclub. Knowing that I can help other people is very rewarding and I hope that all of you MBA hopeful will get into your target schools.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
Congrats [#permalink]
Many Congrats. Excellent results and well deserved to say the least.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [0]
Send PM
Re: Congrats [#permalink]
Congratulations Paul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
:banana :bouncer :beer
Congrats Paul.It'll be great to know that you have joined your dream Alma Mater
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
hey paul,
congrats and pls tell me about ur experience as i am going to take on 29th of this month.
25 days prep. only and want to hit bull's eye
i am in toronto
thanx
saurabh

Paul wrote:
Dear fellow members, my quest is finally over. After a year of intense studying at GMATclub, I have fulfilled my promise: To break the 7XX club. It has been a long journey but one that I am most thankful to for it has taught me the principle of discipline and has allowed me to cross path with many invaluable GMATclub fellow members. I would first like to thank:

BB, Praetorian: You guys are doing a formidable job keeping up this site and it has allowed me to reach a score I would have never dreamed of 2 years ago.
Akamai: You have taught me how to study in the most rigorous way. Your challenging problems really put my grey cells to work.
Stolyar: You were a forever source of inspiration to me and your contribution to this forum are beyonds what words can describe.
Anandnk and Kpadma: I owe much of my score to you guys. We had great discussions this last year and I am forever grateful to have studied with you guys.
Venksune: As of late, we had much interaction and much discussions going on. Thank you for that and for wishing me good luck before G-day. I'm sure you will do great in your own quest my friend.
Crackgmat750: Your own "musing" was so great an inspiration to me. It allowed me to believe in myself.
NEWKID: I'm sure you can score well on the GMAT buddy. I can see your improvement in the verbal section. You are a model to many GMATclub forum members in that you strive to explain your answers with excruciating detail. This is how you will do better on the GMAT. Believe me.
Hardworkerindian, Dharmin, Vivek_dj, carsen, dookie, OlegC, gmatblast, dj, Bhai, Srijay: You guys were the members from whom I benefited a great deal. Thank you all for your inputs. Other members, also let me thank you for your contributions and forgive me if I forgot to mention your names.

Here are my practice scores:
Kaplan diagnostic: 670
Kaplan#1: 600(Q40V32)
Kaplan#2: 600Q46V30)
Kaplan#3: 640(??)
Kaplan#4: 670(Q50V37)
PR2004#1: 730(Q45V47)
PR2004#2: 680(Q45V39)
PR2004#3: 710(Q45V43)
PR2005#1: 650(48V33)
PR2005#2: 710(Q48V41)
PR2005#3: 710(Q51V38)
PT42: 700
PT31: 710
PT52: 740
PT14: 730
PT55: 720
PT48: 680
PT37: 720
PT28: 780
PT25: 780
GMAT: 710(Q49V38)

There are many things that I want to say but for the moment, it is all I can say for there are many people I have neglected in my journey and I have to take good care of them. I will let you know about the exam day and my study approach very soon. Also, I will definitely stay around to help this community evolve and help future GMAT takers in the best of my capacity.

Paul
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Paul,
I'm a newcomer here though I've taken GMAT last month which bombed with 510(42Q,19V).
I've KAP(+CD),KAP800,PR(+CD),PR verbal,OG(10th ed).
I've only 22hrs per week to study.
1)Can you frame a study plan
2)Should I purchase Manhattan books.
3)Should I take 2nd attempt in Last week of DEC'2005(with ETS)/
JAN'2006(with ACT)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Such stories inspire me so much!!! Hope I would realize my dream either!Tahnk you!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Super awesome. Thanks for the inspiration.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts