Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:44 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 634 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
GPA: 3.53
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Engineers and GMAT [#permalink]
Im an Aerospace Engineer, Quant (DS) and Verbal (SC) are the toughest sections for me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.55
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Despite being an engineer I'm having the most trouble with quant. I was pretty good at calculus back in school but I'm stuck around 44-45Q. It's not really about knowing how to do the algebra, I think the harder part is just knowing WHAT the question is asking you to do to set up the initial equations. I'm working on it pretty hard though!

I think Sentence Correction is probably the second hardest. CR and RC are pretty easy for me, but I'm a native English speaker.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I'm expecting the same problem as you guys, english is my second language.
Thank you all.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Another Computer Scientist graduate here.

Glad to hear once more that I'm not the only one who finds PS questions tricky. I get the old "aaaah, yes" whenever I see the solution to a problem that I'm asking myself "how the hell am I supposed to solve that?", and as people said, it's setting up the initial equations.

So, is there a golden rule on how to approach PS? Seems like for every problem that I solve, there's another 10 that are worded a bit differently or ask a different thing and every time it feels like back to point zero (quite depressing I must say). Or is it just a case of solving 1 million of them :lol: and eventually learning how to solve any given problem?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Phew, thank universe there are other engineers struggling with Quants out there. Math is easy. What is not easy, is the hidden meaning behind question stem, what information it is trying to provide you with. It is up to you to extract necessary information. Lately, whenever I have an urge to do a long calc and/or equation I stop and ask myself: "what's the trick". Still it is very hard to interpret the question correctly so I also get my share of aha! moments. SC is very easy for me, the software I use provides a comprehensive manual on dealing with Verbal section.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi gaukharaya,

The Quant section of the GMAT isn't really a 'math test' (like the ones that you would have taken in High School or College); it's more of a critical thinking test that involves fairly straight-forward calculations. As such, taking an 'all math, all the time' approach will likely make that section more difficult to deal with. To score at the highest levels, you need a mix of solid math skills (although you don't have to be a 'math genius') and the Tactics, pattern-matching ability and knowledge of the little 'secrets' behind the Quant section.

1) How long have you been studying for the GMAT?
2) What materials have you been using?
3) How have you scored on your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot