GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Jun 2018, 04:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

ESADE VS. TEPPER(CMU)

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member
ESADE VS. TEPPER(CMU) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2018, 19:39
Hello,

I'm a 30yold Belgian national. Gmat 710 and low GPA.
5 years experience in IT consulting & Startups.
I have an US girlfriend that I'm planning to marry so green card should not be a problem.

I got accepted in Tepper (CMU) with no scholarship and in ESADE with a 30% scholarship.

My goal after MBA is to switch to financial analysis of a tech company in the US or Venture capital firm in the US.

ESADE would cost me around 80kUSD including expenses and scholarship. Tepper is 180kUSD.
The FT ranking of ESADE is better but Tepper is in the US.

Does any of you know if ESADE MBA is well known in the US? What would be the best choice?
Has any of you done an MBA in Europe and returned to the US?

Best of luck everyone!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admission Consultant
G
Re: ESADE VS. TEPPER(CMU) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2018, 04:02
GrannyStalker44 wrote:
Hello,

I'm a 30yold Belgian national. Gmat 710 and low GPA.
5 years experience in IT consulting & Startups.
I have an US girlfriend that I'm planning to marry so green card should not be a problem.

I got accepted in Tepper (CMU) with no scholarship and in ESADE with a 30% scholarship.

My goal after MBA is to switch to financial analysis of a tech company in the US or Venture capital firm in the US.

ESADE would cost me around 80kUSD including expenses and scholarship. Tepper is 180kUSD.
The FT ranking of ESADE is better but Tepper is in the US.

Does any of you know if ESADE MBA is well known in the US? What would be the best choice?
Has any of you done an MBA in Europe and returned to the US?

Best of luck everyone!

An MBA in USA will have more value in the USA. If you are sure to move to/stay in the US after an MBA, then it makes sense to do your MBA there. I'd think a VC job will require a local network

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772, +91(80) 40931397

Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask for a FREE profile evaluation click here

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
ESADE VS. TEPPER(CMU) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2018, 00:55
Congrats on your admit to ESADE - it is a great program and Barcelona is probably the best spot to be in Spain.
However, it is a somewhat regional program and if my memory serves me right looking up their employment reports from a year or two ago, (I am sure you did that already), you will see that not many folks head over to the US. My guess is that the most who do are already US citizens, though either ESADE or IE had a report that showed the percentage of people who returned to their native country vs. moved elsewhere. This is definitely possible to research and answer.

In any case, having an EU passport helps with getting a job in the EU. It really does not help you move to the US and get a job in VC or another super sexy competitive industry. FinTech is more accessible but both are hot and you would have to rely on your existing experience, existing network, and basically besting your classmates to the best positions. Neither will be handed to you and while Tepper is ranked within Top 20 in the US, it is not a big program that attracts a ton of applicants. Being an international student, it will be harder to get a job due to work permit limitation, so only about half or a third of the job offers that go through the career services will be applicable to you - it is going to be a workout to get a job, esp something competitive and will all be up to your resume (brand names) and your networking skills. Your resume sounds interesting and impressive (startups and consulting) so you will likely catch attention of recruiters.

However, neither program guarantees a great job but with ESADE your chances are very slim for a US Placement. Why would a US company want to recruit a Belgian person from a Spanish School? :? ... they may have a reason but I don't know one.

If your goal is the US, then to the US you go to school - the most basic principle - study in the country you want to work in.
Good Luck!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

ESADE VS. TEPPER(CMU)   [#permalink] 08 Mar 2018, 00:55

ESADE VS. TEPPER(CMU)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: teleste, Wilch, jessepinkman

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap