GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 09:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

ESMT OR U Miami?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: International Business
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
ESMT OR U Miami?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2018, 20:33
Been trying to decide this for a long time. ESMT Berlin is one year with a small scholarship vs U Miami with a 60k scholarship.

I intend to eventually work in the USA, maybe after a year or two of working in Germany. I am from the USA.

I speak German at an advanced level.

Is it worth doing a one year MBA program in Berlin if I intend to in the further future return to the USA?
My fiance would also be joining, two year MBA from Booth and has years of experience but no German skills.
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
G
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests
ESMT OR U Miami?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2018, 01:49
cantrollmyrs wrote:
Been trying to decide this for a long time. ESMT Berlin is one year with a small scholarship vs U Miami with a 60k scholarship.

I intend to eventually work in the USA, maybe after a year or two of working in Germany. I am from the USA.

Is it worth doing a one year MBA program in Berlin if I intend to in the further future return to the USA?
My fiance would also be joining, two year MBA from Booth and has years of experience but no German skills.

Hello cantrollmyrs

You should clearly go to Miami Business School :)

What do you have to gain from MBA from ESMT Berlin and Berlin living experience ?

Sure you have to gain culturally with new perspective, maybe mature at faster pace finding yourself in new environment, new country, new continent.

But, what do you have to gain professionally, since you goal anyway is to come back to work/live in USA ?

Not that much.

Your fiance may find herself miserable in Germany due to language barrier.

More importantly, her top Booth degree and experience on the record, will not be best utilized in Germany in monetary terms or otherwise, compared to US.

I get it, going to live in Berlin as American is adventure for you and you are advanced speaker, meaning you are either in love with their culture or you have their descent, or both :)

But as a couple, or even as individual that is clearly not the best, or most rational solution.

How would ESMT Berlin prepare you for next job in US in terms of networking ?

Moreover, how would your possible job in Germany prepare you for next one in US ?

Now, how would Miami Business School experience and networking, prepare you for US job ?

Answer is obvious.

Furthermore you got generous scholarship there of 60k .

Congrats :cool:

Here we can see average Miami Business School salary for MBA graduates, range is from $81,000 to $109,927, depending on specialization and other factors :

https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Sc ... _Miami_(UM)_-_Florida/Salary/by_Degree

Here is the same for ESMT Berlin, weighted salary is US 108,360 as per FT :

https://www.esmt.org/degree-programs/ca ... statistics

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... nking-2017

They are both ranked approximately the same, although FT and Economist will tell currently slightly different story, as they are traditionally inclined toward European schools :

https://www.topuniversities.com/univers ... lobal/2018

Beware that ESMT Berlin is not that much known in US.

I vote for sunshine of Miami, due to scholarship and your ultimate goals. :cool:

It also works much better for you as couple. :ok

Your kudos are much appreciated

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: International Business
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
Re: ESMT OR U Miami?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2018, 15:23
This is good insight. It is hard to balance the rational mind with the irrational! Part of the want to enroll at ESMT is in regards to their connection to entrepreneurship. The city itself is a cheaper version of Sillicon valley. Germany is also very job friendly, my fiance would get a work permit to work there as well. In regards to language you are correct. Probably only 25% of jobs don't require English. Pay is probably also less.

The draw was mainly that this is our "last chance" to live abroad before thinking about having a family, etc. I do have a deep connection to Germany and love the culture there. My guidance therapist recommends Berlin as a growth opportunity, though he probably doesn't have a clue about MBA programs in general.

Obviously Miami is easier.

I will say however, ESMT does have an older group of students, and seemingly much more accomplished than the Miami group. Booth does have a European alumni network which can help with the job search.

We have literally been contemplating this decision for months, because its a decision of cultural desire / better school vs settling down in more familiar territory.

billionaire wrote:
cantrollmyrs wrote:

Hello cantrollmyrs

You should clearly go to Miami Business School :)

What do you have to gain from MBA from ESMT Berlin and Berlin living experience ?

Sure you have to gain culturally with new perspective, maybe mature at faster pace finding yourself in new environment, new country, new continent.

But, what do you have to gain professionally, since you goal anyway is to come back to work/live in USA ?

Not that much.

Your fiance may find herself miserable in Germany due to language barrier.

More importantly, her top Booth degree and experience on the record, will not be best utilized in Germany in monetary terms or otherwise, compared to US.

I get it, going to live in Berlin as American is adventure for you and you are advanced speaker, meaning you are either in love with their culture or you have their descent, or both :)

But as a couple, or even as individual that is clearly not the best, or most rational solution.

How would ESMT Berlin prepare you for next job in US in terms of networking ?

Moreover, how would your possible job in Germany prepare you for next one in US ?

Now, how would Miami Business School experience and networking, prepare you for US job ?

Answer is obvious.

Furthermore you got generous scholarship there of 60k .

Congrats :cool:

Here we can see average Miami Business School salary for MBA graduates, range is from $81,000 to $109,927, depending on specialization and other factors :

https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Sc ... _Miami_(UM)_-_Florida/Salary/by_Degree

Here is the same for ESMT Berlin, weighted salary is US 108,360 as per FT :

https://www.esmt.org/degree-programs/ca ... statistics

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... nking-2017

They are both ranked approximately the same, although FT and Economist will tell currently slightly different story, as they are traditionally inclined toward European schools :

https://www.topuniversities.com/univers ... lobal/2018

Beware that ESMT Berlin is not that much known in US.

I vote for sunshine of Miami, due to scholarship and your ultimate goals. :cool:

It also works much better for you as couple. :ok
Re: ESMT OR U Miami? &nbs [#permalink] 31 Jul 2018, 15:23

ESMT OR U Miami?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap