GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 19 Jan 2020, 12:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

ESR Analysis Help - Feedback

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
ESR Analysis Help - Feedback  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2019, 13:29
Hey Yall,

I was hoping to get some feedback on my GMAT score and the associated ESR I purchased(attached).

I got a 620 44Q 32V. I am applying to different Business Ph.D. programs and I will be retaking the GMAT again January 25th(Application deadline is January 30th). The specific schools told me that with my current academic profile, that if I am able to get a 680 score, I would be a competitive applicant. While 680 is the lower end of my goal I would love to get a 700+.

I used Magoosh to get a 620 score, which was a significant improvement because when I took the diagnostic test cold, I got a 480, so I'm happy with what Magoosh was able to help me improve. However, towards the end of my time, and conversations with colleagues that have done really well on the GMAT, Magoosh seems to have a limited format that didn't really seem to push people 600-650 range. With Magoosh, I mainly focused on working through the course videos and doing the problems. Additionally, I used the two free Mock Exams on the MBA website and over a month timeline or so, I went from a 520 to a 570 to a 620 on test day. However, while I did devote a fair amount of time to studying. It wasn't quality time because I was teaching/creating a new course (I teach Financial Accounting), taking an Econometrics Class and taking a Calculus class, while commuting an hour each way to campus, so alot of the times I was mentally exhausted.

I am currently in a job transition and won't start my new job til sometime in the beginning of January, and so outside some research endeavors, my schedules is fairly open.

My current thoughts are to use TTP to get my Quant Score up, I just started using the $1 - 5 day trial, and so far it seems like it would be a good study course. While the Academic programs I am looking for, mainly interested in a high quant score (47+). I have heard that Verbal is really good to get your score pushed up, because so many people disproportionately don't do well on Verbal. I haven't decided what track I will take for Verbal - I was thinking EGMAT(it's kind of expensive though), since I need help with my sentence correction, but I am open for suggestions. Both for Study materials and study plans (like 6 hrs a day-, 3 hours in morning, 1 hour after lunch and 2 hours before dinner) along with study plans, strategies to help with my test-taking (I seemed to get rush through my 1st and 2nd quarter -- In Quant, I actually finished with two minutes left of time).

Thanks for all the help yall!
Attachments

ESR.pdf [511.52 KiB]
Downloaded 9 times

To download please login or register as a user

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: ESR Analysis Help - Feedback  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2019, 15:31
Hi Gabriel,

To start, raising a 480 to a 620 is a fantastic achievement - and with this 620, you're actually closer to a 680+ than you probably realize. With your Q44, your 'math skills' are probably fine - but to score at a much higher level in this section, you'll need to be focused on learning and practicing the proper Tactics. Before we discuss the data in your ESR, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and your goals:

1) How many PhD Programs are you applying to?
2) What are the application deadlines for each?
3) How do you think your new job (starting in January) will impact your available study time?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2019, 15:49
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Gabriel,

To start, raising a 480 to a 620 is a fantastic achievement - and with this 620, you're actually closer to a 680+ than you probably realize. With your Q44, your 'math skills' are probably fine - but to score at a much higher level in this section, you'll need to be focused on learning and practicing the proper Tactics. Before we discuss the data in your ESR, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and your goals:

1) How many PhD Programs are you applying to?
2) What are the application deadlines for each?
3) How do you think your new job (starting in January) will impact your available study time?

Rich

Thanks for taking the time to respond Rich.

The majority of the Application deadlines for the US closed today. I recently went to this program called the PhD Project, which is an initiative to get Minorities infront of the class room (I'm Castillian Spanish and Bolivian), and got a lot of interest from different well ranked Universities, all of them told me I would be a strong candidate, but they would advise getting a higher GMAT score, but it wasn't completely necessary (still going to get a higher GMAT score though).

I got the 480 when I walked in on the GMAT cold, so the only direction was up!

While at the Ph.D. Project, I was introduced to several Professors that got their Ph.D. Abroad in IE, INSEAD, TILBURG, and ERASMUS. I lived in Europe for a year, and would love to pursue a Ph.D. Program there, and was super excited that I met Professors that got their Ph.D. in Europe and still go good placement in the US. I'm currently going to apply to IE, TILBURG, and ERASMUS (their deadline is January 30th). I e-mailed Erasmus and IE, and they both said that the Target GMAT score is 680(I assuming leaning on Quant), so that is what I'm shooting to achieve for my scheduled exam on January 25th.

Until I start working full time (still figuring out start date with the Employer), I plan to study 6 hours a day (brain can't really process more) and when I start working 2-2.5 hours in the morning prior to work (that's what I did when I was studying for the CPA - Brain just absorbs the material better) and an hour after work(If I have the Capacity). The main reason why I accepted this current position because I was told I needed to get a job at a Publically Traded company, I heard really positive things about the work-life balance in this department/manager and I will be working with SAS and SQL.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2019, 16:14
Hi Gabriel,

I've sent you a PM with an analysis of your ESR and some additional notes.

Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2019, 09:00
Hi nazir99,

Regarding quant, I’m thrilled to hear that you are using TTP!! If you follow the study plan and complete the course, in full, there is no reason why you can’t hit your Q47+ score goal on test day. If you have any questions regarding TTP, or your study plan, feel free to reach out to me directly.

Let's do this!!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
181 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: ESR Analysis Help - Feedback   [#permalink] 16 Dec 2019, 09:00

ESR Analysis Help - Feedback

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k