Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 13:25 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 13:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72912 [1]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
ESR 740 (Q48V44) IR 8 AWA 6 - Advice for Grammar SC/Quant [#permalink]
Ultimately, a V44 is a powerful verbal score (a Q49 V44 can potentially even get 760). Although it's "possible" to score V45+ (had a student for example who went from a V37 to a V48 in about 30 days on a retake), fair to say the scoring on Verbal gets pretty steep at a certain point. A V48, for example, is the result of a single counted question being incorrect. If you feel your SC fundamentals are solid, consider working on your solving approach. May boost your performance a bit. Perhaps include working with a study buddy who is really strong on SC into your prep.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4657 [0]
Given Kudos: 633
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: ESR 740 (Q48V44) IR 8 AWA 6 - Advice for Grammar SC/Quant [#permalink]
Expert Reply
prospectiveMBA5 wrote:
Hi y'all. My ESR finally came through and I found out I'm terrible at SC! 100% CR and 100% RC, but abysmal SC. My Communication SC is 100%, but my Grammar SC is 25%...

I ordered MPrep's Advanced Quant book to get my Q48 -> Q51, but I'm also looking for a resource to help get my Grammar SC % up. I've read through Manhattan Prep's SC and All the Verbal twice and I'm open to purchasing any recommended courses for SC so I can get that deficit up. ESR attached.

Would appreciate any guidance particularly on the Grammar SC front...

Hi prospectiveMBA5,

Some portions of the ESR can be useful, but it's best not to take sections like "sub-section rankings" and "performance by fundamental skills" too seriously. Here's what your ESR shows:

1. A total verbal score of 44 (98%). This is an outstanding score.

2. A total of 3 mistakes in the verbal section. It doesn't get much better than this.

3. ... AND an SC "grammar" score of 25%.

If you still think that you need to improve your SC skills, you could take a look at my SC course.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22073 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi prospectiveMBA5,

Here is a great article you can check out:

GMAT Sentence Correction: 15 Essential Tips
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V45
Send PM
Expert Reply
prospectiveMBA5 wrote:
Hi y'all. My ESR finally came through and I found out I'm terrible at SC! 100% CR and 100% RC, but abysmal SC. My Communication SC is 100%, but my Grammar SC is 25%...

I ordered MPrep's Advanced Quant book to get my Q48 -> Q51, but I'm also looking for a resource to help get my Grammar SC % up. I've read through Manhattan Prep's SC and All the Verbal twice and I'm open to purchasing any recommended courses for SC so I can get that deficit up. ESR attached.

Would appreciate any guidance particularly on the Grammar SC front...

Hi,

Firstly, impressive score.

I concur with Ajitesh's observations. Your verbal performance, with just three errors, is quite strong. It's worth highlighting that these mistakes were in grammar, and given that you were tested on four grammar questions, it translates to a 25% accuracy. This might seem low at first glance, but in the grand scheme, three mistakes aren't detrimental. While there's a temptation to retake for a better verbal score, the unpredictability of CR or RC means a couple of missteps could keep you in the same score range.

However, the real potential for growth appears to be in Quant. Aiming for a Q50 could push you into the 760/770 range, which I assume is your goal. Given that you've maintained a comprehensive error log, it would be prudent to delve back into it. Focus on the concepts that posed challenges. While MPrep's Advanced Quant book is a valuable tool, it might not holistically highlight all the areas you need to strengthen.

Hope this helps, and all the best!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72912 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
prospectiveMBA5 wrote:
Perhaps I need to just drill all SCs over again until I understand exactly why each one is correct.

Yes. You should do exactly that. take it 1 question at a time and know why you made a mistake and why you will not make it again if you see a similar question. One question at a time, in a week you will be much more capable. It may take a few weeks.

P.S. Don't abandon your quant and don't ignore CR and RC - all of them are important and if you ignore them for even a week, your score may suffer on the test day, so keep your strong areas primed and revisit them from time to time.
GMAT Club Bot