GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 09:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

ESR Review Help!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
ESR Review Help!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 10:39
Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone can give me advice or insight on any strategies I can use going forward as I plan to retake the gmat for the 3rd time. My target score is a 650+ and I'm frustrated with the results of my first two scores. After my 1st attempt (570 total 42 quant 27 verbal) I decided to schedule my retake 16 days later to give myself the opportunity to make the 2nd round Masters of Finance program deadlines. I figured to spend a majority of this time studying verbal and specifically SC and CR because they were my weakest areas according to my ESR. Using the OG 2018 questions, Princeton review "verbal review" book and videos and strategies from "thursdays with ron"/gmat club to study during the two weeks between my 1st and second exam I felt much better about these areas especially CR. Although my CR did improve on my second test, my SC actually decreased and I clearly did not have enough time for the second half of verbal questions and was forced to choose random answers on the last 8-9 questions which happened to be mostly RC (hence why my RC dropped dramatically from test 1 to test 2). As an accountant by trade I feel a lot more comfortable with quant but timing also seems to prevent me from reaching my target score (45+) and I am forced to guess on some questions on the back end of the test.
I feel that I can get into my target schools if I can score around the 650 area and I have a lot of free time in the coming weeks to study and improve. However, I'm obviously having trouble finding a study strategy that works for me. I would really appreciate it if someone could take a look at my ESR's from my first two attempts (posted below) and give me some advice going forward in terms of strategy? Are there any other review books/practice that you think would be useful? Please take a look at my ESRs and let me know what you think.
Attachments

ESR test 2.pdf [438.02 KiB]
Downloaded 29 times

To download please login or register as a user

ESR test 1.pdf [438.51 KiB]
Downloaded 20 times

To download please login or register as a user

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: ESR Review Help!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 21:25
Hi danner67,

Before we discuss the data in these 2 ESRs, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your practice CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to retake the GMAT?
5) When are you planning to apply to School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 11:34
Hi Rich,
Thanks for getting back to me.
Studies: 1) I have studied for around 120-150 hours
2) I started off using primarly the OG 2018 book as well as princeton review materials/questions. After my first test, I decided to move away from the PR materials because I found that many of their questions are much easier than the actual test. Furthermore, they do a horrible job laying out a strategy for areas such as CR and SC . Leading up to my second test, I focused more on doing as many OG questions as possible and used this blog as well as some "thursdays with ron" videos to help explain specific questions and strategies that one can use during the test. I felt a lot more comfortable with verbal concepts/strategies using this method. Unfortunately it did not help me improve my timing and pace during the real test.
3) In regards to my CATs, First test 610 36 Quant 37 Verbal , Second test 630 47 Quant 29 Verbal.

Goals: 4+5) I would like to make the round 3 deadlines for my target MSF programs. The earliest deadline is on March 7th so Im planning on taking the gmat again on feb 20th, maybe even a couple days later.
6) I plan on applying to Northeastern University, Villanova, University of Maryland, Texas AM, Boston College, and Temple.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I have a ton of time study and I believe that I can get my score up to the 650 area. I just need a solid structure and plan going forward based on my weaknesses. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks Again,

Dan
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 15:32
Hi Dan,

I've sent you a PM based on your 2 ESRs with some note and suggestions. You're working under a tight tight frame, but your Score Goal is achievable if you can make the necessary adjustments to how you 'see' (and respond to) the GMAT.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

GMAT Club Bot
Re: ESR Review Help! &nbs [#permalink] 11 Jan 2018, 15:32

ESR Review Help!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap