Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 21:58 It is currently 13 May 2024, 21:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 351 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 309 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
Re: Essay Stories [#permalink]
the more i read about essays .. the more obvious it seems that aside from some polish, what one really needs is your passion to come through. Not all of us are going to solve world hunger or find the cure to cancer. But incremental improvements achieved through your dedication and passion for a problem (be it minor) will resound and be effective in communicating your potential.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I would like outright lying is probably not that wide spread. That said, these are some of the top institutions in the world, I am sure they have their ways of sniffing out frauds. Either through intuition, checking up on illogical details, or pressing hard in the interview for detail after detail.

I think slight exaggerations are FAR more likely. Saying you managed 15 people instead of 10, or that you drove revenues of 800k instead of 500k. These would probably be harder to check on and raise a lot fewer red flags than espousing how you built whale shelters out of coral in the east Indian ocean...

That said, Don't Do It! Getting into school because you stretched the truth will only lead to self-doubt and guilt.

~Sam

sm332 wrote:
the more i read about essays .. the more obvious it seems that aside from some polish, what one really needs is your passion to come through.
This is spot on I think.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 351 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
yea that makes sense. I hope you guys are right. That is why I am leaning against an admission consultant or essay service. I feel if I can't figure out and strategize my essays myself, how am I going to strategize for million dollar companies?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Terp,

As a flip-side.. would you ever consider running a million dollar corporation without a financial adviser, or tax adviser? Consultants won't write the essays for you (if you get a respected one), but they will help you make sure your essays are in line with your goals, resume, etc... They often know how the admission comm thinks better than we do from a much larger pool of experience, thus they can guide you around potential rocks in the river you may not even think of.

~Sam
GMAT Club Bot