Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 12:58 It is currently 02 May 2024, 12:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 694 [54]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63747 [21]
Given Kudos: 1775
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [4]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: Ethicist: It would be a mistake to say that just because someone [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bhavanahiremath,
Quote:
Can someone please explain this? I'm lost in a whole sea of tweaked statements here! With lots of difficulty I boiled down to B and E.

Choice B and choice E both start with, "It [reports/makes] an observation that, according to the argument...", where the observation is that "people are considered especially virtuous if they successfully resist a desire to do what is wrong"
Quote:
(E) It reports an observation that, according to the argument, serves as evidence for the truth of its conclusion.

The conclusion is: "It would be a mistake to say that just because someone is not inclined to do otherwise, she or he does not deserve to be praised for doing what is right" Does the observation cited above serve as evidence for the truth of that conclusion? No; in fact, it serves as evidence that people deserve to be praised for doing what is right when they ARE inclined to do otherwise (opposing point). So E can be eliminated.
Quote:
(B) It makes an observation that, according to the argument, is insufficient to justify the claim that the argument concludes is false.

The claim that the argument concludes is false is: "just because someone is not inclined to do otherwise, she or he does not deserve to be praised for doing what is right." In other words, even though "people are considered especially virtuous if they successfully resist a desire to do what is wrong," this observation is insufficient to justify the claim that people do not deserve to be praised for doing what is right just because they are not inclined to do otherwise.

I hope that helps!
Own Kudos [?]: 1972 [3]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Re: Ethicist: It would be a mistake to say that just because someone [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
aurobindomahanty wrote:
Ethicist: It would be a mistake to say that just because someone is not inclined to do otherwise, she or he does not deserve to be praised for doing what is right, for although we do consider people especially virtuous if they successfully resist a desire to do what is wrong, they are certainly no less virtuous if they have succeeded in extinguishing all such desires.

The assertion that people are considered especially virtuous if they successfully resist a desire to do what is wrong plays which one of the following roles in the ethicist’s argument?

(A) It is a claim for which the argument attempts to provide justification. -As per the wordings of the argument, it is not justifying anything.
(B) It makes an observation that, according to the argument, is insufficient to justify the claim that the argument concludes is false. -THIS IS CORRECT. As per my explanation in point E below, second is just a definition and doesn't justify anything.
(C) It is a claim, acceptance of which, the argument contends, is a primary obstacle to some people’s having an adequate conception of virtue. -The argument doesn't talk about any obstracle.
(D) It is, according to the argument, a commonly held opinion that is nevertheless false. -"Commonly" is no where in the intrepretation
(E) It reports an observation that, according to the argument, serves as evidence for the truth of its conclusion. -If you read the argument the conclusion is in the first line stating that if a person doesn't do anything wrong it doesn't mean that he or she shouldn't be praises, and the second line is stating that the people who resist their desire to do wrong are called virtuous. Second is basically a definition of being virtuous. It doesn't prove anything.

Hello,
This is "SOME" question. Thank you for sharing it. It is really a mind twister.
Please correct me GMATNinjaTwo if my understanding is wrong.
Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.01
Send PM
I don't understand the logic behind this question.Can some expert please explain.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1781 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Ethicist: It would be a mistake to say that just because someone [#permalink]
will this question really appear in the real GMAT?
btw, the key word is "although" and "mistake". The latter indicates that the conclusion cannot be proven wrong by the whole premise stands after "although"
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63747 [1]

Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Pretty sure this is a retired LSAT question, just judging by the language and the style. The LSAT likes to put philosophical and ethical quandaries in its questions.

The answer choices sound a whole lot like the ones that appear in GMAT boldfaced CR questions. So this sort of thing is useful enough, I guess...
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1781 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Pretty sure this is a retired LSAT question, just judging by the language and the style. The LSAT likes to put philosophical and ethical quandaries in its questions.

The answer choices sound a whole lot like the ones that appear in GMAT boldfaced CR questions. So this sort of thing is useful enough, I guess...

and there is no strategy to cope with such questions?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63747 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
chesstitans wrote:
and there is no strategy to cope with such questions?

For some strategies on dealing with boldface CR, check out the advice toward the middle of this chat transcript: https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-chat- ... l#p1861859. It's not very polished, but hopefully it will help a little bit. And we'll eventually post a lengthier topic of the week on boldfaced CR later in the year.

And here's another, older thread on boldfaced CR: https://gmatclub.com/forum/strategy-and ... 65576.html. I don't 100% agree with everything in it, but it's a really good, thorough post. And different tactics work for different people, so if you like this one better, go for it. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [0]
Given Kudos: 125
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
WE:Project Management (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
I ran into a slightly different version of that question which was a boldface. I have therefore included the changes in the quoted text below to take these differences into consideration. Although the question type is different, it essentially asks the same thing and all answer choices are the same but (E).

I only intend to share how I dealt with this question. The first time I read it, I immediately realized I would not manage to understand its meaning in under 2 minutes.

As such, I used pure structure and keywords to go through a process of elimination. I hope it helps!

Step 1 = ID Question Type
We are dealing with a Boldface / Role type of question (Argument Group).

Step 2 = Deconstruct Passage
Not too hard here. It starts with our conclusion (= claim), and from the bold part onward we are dealing with evidence (= observation).

Step 3 = Anticipate Answer
I anticipated "something" that would be true and not a claim.

Step 4 = Answer the Proper Question

aurobindomahanty wrote:
Ethicist: It would be a mistake to say that just because someone is not inclined to do otherwise, she or he does not deserve to be praised for doing what is right, for although we do consider people especially virtuous if they successfully resist a desire to do what is wrong, they are certainly no less virtuous if they have succeeded in extinguishing all such desires.

The statement above in boldface plays which of the following roles in the Ethicist's argument?
The assertion that people are considered especially virtuous if they successfully resist a desire to do what is wrong plays which one of the following roles in the ethicist’s argument?

(A) It is a claim for which the argument attempts to provide justification. The boldface part is not a claim. Eliminate

(B) It makes an observation that, according to the argument, is insufficient to justify the claim that the argument concludes is false. It is an observation. Not sure what the rest meant in my first attempt. Keep it and keep going.

(C) It is a claim, acceptance of which, the argument contends, is a primary obstacle to some people’s having an adequate conception of virtue. The boldface part is not a claim. Eliminate.

(D) It is, according to the argument, a commonly held opinion that is nevertheless false. It is explicitly stated that the boldface part is true. Therefore it can NOT be false. Eliminate.

(E) It reports an observation that the argument claims is false and, according to the argument, is sufficient to demonstrate the falsehood of the claim that the argument concludes is false
Again, the reported observation is true. A correct Answer Choice cannot contradict the passage. Eliminate.
It reports an observation that, according to the argument, serves as evidence for the truth of its conclusion.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1821 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Ethicist: It would be a mistake to say that just because someone is not inclined to do otherwise, she or he does not deserve to be praised for doing what is right, for although we do consider people especially virtuous if they successfully resist a desire to do what is wrong, they are certainly no less virtuous if they have succeeded in extinguishing all such desires. The assertion that people are considered especially virtuous if they successfully resist a desire to do what is wrong plays which one of the following roles in the ethicist’s argument?

(A) It is a claim for which the argument attempts to provide justification. - WRONG. Altogether wrong.
(B) It makes an observation that, according to the argument, is insufficient to justify the claim that the argument concludes is false. - CORRECT. There's already a belief but that is not enough to put other side of that belief as wrong. Got screwed with the philosophical language of the passage.
(C) It is a claim, acceptance of which, the argument contends, is a primary obstacle to some people’s having an adequate conception of virtue. - WRONG.
(D) It is, according to the argument, a commonly held opinion that is nevertheless false. - WRONG. Though choice this one with a heavy heart because of 'commonly held opinion', the problem is more with 'nevertheless false'. The latter can't be articulated from the passage.
(E) It reports an observation that, according to the argument, serves as evidence for the truth of its conclusion. - WRONG. Certainly helps the conclusion but in a manner that we can say it is evidence.

Answer B.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts