It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 04:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Evaluate my profile-first post

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Evaluate my profile-first post [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 23:25
Hello All,

Can you please review my profile, and let me know if have a legitimate shot at any of these schools?

Top choice: UCLA Anderson
USC Marshall
UCI Merage
Boston University-Questrom
Georgetown-McDonough

Ethnicity: Mexican
Major: B.S. Economics from state school in California
GPA: 2.9, I have a handful of fails on my transcript but retook them all and received no less than B scores. I did average a 3.5 my last 3 quarters and got on the Deans List.
GMAT: 720

Work Ex: 5+ years working in Aerospace/Heavy Manufacturing ( I barely graduated this past June, but I have been in the industry since I was 17 years old)
Past Ex: Held an internship doing Business Development with NASA's Jet Propulsion's Laboratory during the Summer of 2016.
Current Job Title: Process/Development Engineer
Projects:
-Worked on numerous improvement projects, in which I saved the company over $30,000, while I was a senior in college.
-Was in charge of two departments (Shell Room, Foundry), while still in school and improved productivity and throughput by over 20%.
-Worked on developing new parts, reduced defect/rework rates in old parts, performed internal audits, lead continuous improvement projects with teams of 8-10 people.

Extracurriculars:
-None, school full time and working 30-35 hours a week during school and 40+ hours during the summer. I do enjoy rock climbing and surfing during my spare time.

Volunteering:
-Volunteered for 3 years with the American Red Cross.
-Volunteered for 2 years with The Children's Hospital of Los Angeles, Autism Society of LA.

Other Accolades:
-Obtained my Six Sigma Black Belt Certification during the summer of my Junior year
-Obtained Project Management Certificate from UCLA extension
-Working on obtaining PMP Certification

I'm interested in Aerospace and Defense Consulting, and would later like to transition into Program or Operations Management for a large Aerospace Contractor.

Thank you for your time.

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 237 [1], given: 0

Re: Evaluate my profile-first post [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 20:10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi there,

Thanks for your post. So you don't really have any full-time post undergrad work experience if I'm following? Even if you've been working for quite some time, some schools may only 'count' the post-undergrad portion... but you may just have to explain your story and see what they advise; feel free to reach out and ask the schools now!! Certainly BU & UCI will be most within reach of your list; the 2.9 GPA will not help either. I feel it will be very very tough to get into UCLA. Given that your story is less traditional in terms of path of work/school, I do think checking in with the schools now is a good idea just in case they give any big picture suggestion i.e. wait another year or two... if not aim for the lower end of your list in terms of selectivity just for ideal chances and play up all the experience you do have... good luck, keep us posted!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Kudos [?]: 237 [1], given: 0