GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2019, 23:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

examPAL CR Forum Expert David - Ask Me Anything about GMAT CR

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
examPAL Representative
User avatar
P
Joined: 07 Dec 2017
Posts: 1153
examPAL CR Forum Expert David - Ask Me Anything about GMAT CR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2018, 12:18
2
1
Ask me Anything about GMAT Critical Reasoning


Hello GMAT Club users,
My name is David, nice to meet you :)

I am a senior tutor at examPAL and have been in the test-prep business for years.
This thread is the place for you to ask me anything about CR - from 'how should I approach a question' to 'why is this answer correct' to general tips on the topic you find most difficult.

To start off, the Most Important CR tip:
Think before looking at the answer choices!

The general structure for solving a CR question is almost always
1. Break the passage down into its logical components.
2. Use your skills of deduction to infer what the answer choice 'looks like' (what pieces of information it contains, what the logic between the different parts should be)
3. Go to the answer choices and see if your predicted answer choice, or something very similar to it, is there.
4. If you like, also skim over the other options to make sure there isn't something 'better'.

Note that step 2 shouldn't tell you the exact answer - its goal is to narrow your search space so you can ignore all irrelevant information and focus only on the important bits. Otherwise, the vast majority of students end up wasting most of their time reading the different options, thinking about each, and becoming very confused.

Best of luck to everyone on their GMAT and remember - the GMAT is just a stepping stone! What is it you actually want to achieve?

See you in the CR forums,
David.

_________________
examPAL Representative
User avatar
P
Joined: 07 Dec 2017
Posts: 1153
Re: examPAL CR Forum Expert David - Ask Me Anything about GMAT CR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2018, 01:02
1
If someone woke you up in the middle of the night, and said: "Quick! What's the one thing I need to know about solving the CR section?" - what would you say?

This is how I would answer this question:



What do you think about this tip? What have your experiences been? And what would you say is the most important CR tip you've come across?
_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 24 Mar 2018
Posts: 246
CAT Tests
Re: examPAL CR Forum Expert David - Ask Me Anything about GMAT CR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2018, 04:13
DavidTutorexamPAL
Hie David,
I have problem in understanding the passage I guess.
I watched the video that you have mentioned and found that my problem is the passage understanding because in some of the problem I cannot prethink.
So can you suggest how to improve passage understanding . I read in other forums to read the economist gmat and some megazines but how that can improve my understanding ?
examPAL Representative
User avatar
P
Joined: 07 Dec 2017
Posts: 1153
Re: examPAL CR Forum Expert David - Ask Me Anything about GMAT CR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2018, 01:04
3
teaserbae wrote:
DavidTutorexamPAL
Hie David,
I have problem in understanding the passage I guess.
I watched the video that you have mentioned and found that my problem is the passage understanding because in some of the problem I cannot prethink.
So can you suggest how to improve passage understanding . I read in other forums to read the economist gmat and some megazines but how that can improve my understanding ?


Hey there teaserbae - good question!
First of all - yes, absolutely incorporate a lot of reading into your daily schedule. reading is a skill, and the more you do it, you will not only get faster, but also your understanding will improve.
Second of all - when you actually read, pay extra attention to:
1) the first sentence of the paragraph - it often states the idea of the passage (remember - every passage has one idea!), and often makes clear the connection to the previous paragraph
2) The last sentence in the paragraph - sometimes it summarizes
3) connecting words (thus, however, even though, so) - these are little red flags telling you the logical structure of the passage - this leads to this, this is despite that
4) ask yourself as you go along: what is the central topic of this passage? how would I summarise it in one sentence? There will often be a question like, and you want to be ready.

Does this help? Let me know!
_________________
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Status: IF YOU CAN DREAM IT, YOU CAN DO IT
Joined: 03 Jul 2017
Posts: 187
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Re: examPAL CR Forum Expert David - Ask Me Anything about GMAT CR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2018, 20:05
DavidTutorexamPAL
Hi David could you please help me understand this question .
So the argument is stating that weakest immune system leads to the death of the person and we have to weaken this claim ? Or we have to say that there are some other reason for the death and it is not the weakest immune system.

here is the link to my doubt question. Thanks in advance

https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-two-year-s ... 68688.html
CR Forum Moderator
avatar
V
Joined: 25 Apr 2018
Posts: 637
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: examPAL CR Forum Expert David - Ask Me Anything about GMAT CR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2018, 03:48
Hi DavidTutorexamPAL

Please visit the GMAT club's CR Butler project and enlighten the GC users with your explanations.

Thanks!
_________________
Please give kudos if you found my posts helpful!

Project CR Butler - 2 CR's everyday
examPAL Representative
User avatar
P
Joined: 07 Dec 2017
Posts: 1153
Re: examPAL CR Forum Expert David - Ask Me Anything about GMAT CR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2018, 06:25
longhaul123 wrote:
DavidTutorexamPAL
Hi David could you please help me understand this question .
So the argument is stating that weakest immune system leads to the death of the person and we have to weaken this claim ? Or we have to say that there are some other reason for the death and it is not the weakest immune system.

here is the link to my doubt question. Thanks in advance

https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-two-year-s ... 68688.html


Neither one, necessarily. We are looking for an explanation for the correlation between a weak immune system and death from heart disease (which is not connected to the immune system). That explanation could weaken the claim that the weak immune system is the cause, or it could strengthen it - but it has to offer an explanation.
C) does - it shows how the immune system caused it in an indirect way (weak immune system > medicine > heart disease).
_________________
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 21 Oct 2017
Posts: 14
Re: examPAL CR Forum Expert David - Ask Me Anything about GMAT CR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2018, 07:11
Hi David,

Could you please help me with this CR question:

Neuropeptide substance P is released in the spinal cord in response to pain and causes nerve endings around the initiating nerves to also become more sensitive to pain. Normally, this mechanism is "reset" during stages of deep sleep. If, however, the mechanism cannot be reset, this process may run out of control and cause fibromyalgia, a disorder characterized by body-wide chronic pain and fatigue. Conditions such as depression, anxiety, drug use, and serotonin deficiency can interfere with stages of "deep" sleep.
The statements above, if true, best support which of the following conclusions?
(A) The simplest way to treat fibromyalgia is to control the release of neuropeptide substance P.
(B) The release of neuropeptide substance P cannot be reset if a patient suffers from a condition that interferes with stages of "deep" sleep.
(C) Patients who do not suffer from conditions that can interfere with stages of "deep" sleep will not develop fibromyalgia.
(D) Conditions such as depression, anxiety, drug use and serotonin deficiency can aggravate or even cause fibromyalgia.
(E) Drug users who experience body-wide chronic pain and fatigue most likely suffer from fibromyalgia.

I don't understand why B is wrong? The language used in both B and D is quite similar. Both choice use "can" or "cannot" to illustrates a possibility, right?
examPAL Representative
User avatar
P
Joined: 07 Dec 2017
Posts: 1153
Re: examPAL CR Forum Expert David - Ask Me Anything about GMAT CR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2018, 08:05
1
Samine wrote:
Hi David,

Could you please help me with this CR question:

Neuropeptide substance P is released in the spinal cord in response to pain and causes nerve endings around the initiating nerves to also become more sensitive to pain. Normally, this mechanism is "reset" during stages of deep sleep. If, however, the mechanism cannot be reset, this process may run out of control and cause fibromyalgia, a disorder characterized by body-wide chronic pain and fatigue. Conditions such as depression, anxiety, drug use, and serotonin deficiency can interfere with stages of "deep" sleep.
The statements above, if true, best support which of the following conclusions?
(A) The simplest way to treat fibromyalgia is to control the release of neuropeptide substance P.
(B) The release of neuropeptide substance P cannot be reset if a patient suffers from a condition that interferes with stages of "deep" sleep.
(C) Patients who do not suffer from conditions that can interfere with stages of "deep" sleep will not develop fibromyalgia.
(D) Conditions such as depression, anxiety, drug use and serotonin deficiency can aggravate or even cause fibromyalgia.
(E) Drug users who experience body-wide chronic pain and fatigue most likely suffer from fibromyalgia.

I don't understand why B is wrong? The language used in both B and D is quite similar. Both choice use "can" or "cannot" to illustrates a possibility, right?


Hey Samine, you have hit the nail right on the head - the use of "can" and "cannot" is the heart of the matter here. the difference between them is exactly the point - while saying that something CANNOT do something (as B does) is a very very strong statement meaning that never ever will this be able to happen, saying that something CAN happen only means that is possible - a far easier thing to prove. that's the difference here - D says something that is almost certainly true (this can happen), while B says something that we really don't know (it cannot happen)
_________________
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 21 Oct 2017
Posts: 14
Re: examPAL CR Forum Expert David - Ask Me Anything about GMAT CR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2019, 07:00
Hi David,

I have got this CR problem from OG2018 - Q156

In setting environmental standards for industry and others to meet, it is inadvisable to require the best results that state-of-the-art technology can achieve. Current technology is able to detect and eliminate even extremely minute amounts of contaminants, but at a cost that is exorbitant relative to the improvement achieved. So it would be reasonable instead to set standards by taking into account all of the current and future risks involved.

The argument given concerning the reasonable way to set standards presupposes that
A. industry currently meets the standards that have been set by environmental authorities
B. there are effective ways to take into account all of the relevant risks posed by allowing different levels of contaminants
C. the only contaminants worth measuring are generated by industry
D. it is not costly to prevent large amounts of contaminants from entering the environment
E. minute amounts of some contaminants can be poisonous

After reading official solution, I am still confused why D is wrong through I agree that B is optimal choice. Could you please shed a light on this choice?
My reason is that if we can set standards which is not costly to prevent large amounts of contaminants from entering the environment [here is the current and future risks] => does this also mean reasonable?
Please correct me. Thank you very much!!!
examPAL Representative
User avatar
P
Joined: 07 Dec 2017
Posts: 1153
Re: examPAL CR Forum Expert David - Ask Me Anything about GMAT CR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2019, 07:21
Samine wrote:
Hi David,

I have got this CR problem from OG2018 - Q156

In setting environmental standards for industry and others to meet, it is inadvisable to require the best results that state-of-the-art technology can achieve. Current technology is able to detect and eliminate even extremely minute amounts of contaminants, but at a cost that is exorbitant relative to the improvement achieved. So it would be reasonable instead to set standards by taking into account all of the current and future risks involved.

The argument given concerning the reasonable way to set standards presupposes that
A. industry currently meets the standards that have been set by environmental authorities
B. there are effective ways to take into account all of the relevant risks posed by allowing different levels of contaminants
C. the only contaminants worth measuring are generated by industry
D. it is not costly to prevent large amounts of contaminants from entering the environment
E. minute amounts of some contaminants can be poisonous

After reading official solution, I am still confused why D is wrong through I agree that B is optimal choice. Could you please shed a light on this choice?
My reason is that if we can set standards which is not costly to prevent large amounts of contaminants from entering the environment [here is the current and future risks] => does this also mean reasonable?
Please correct me. Thank you very much!!!


Hey Samine,
D talks about large amounts of contaminants. the argument talks about allowing minute amounts. Crucial difference.
_________________
Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 09 Mar 2018
Posts: 994
Location: India
Re: examPAL CR Forum Expert David - Ask Me Anything about GMAT CR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2019, 07:58
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
Ask me Anything about GMAT Critical Reasoning


Hello GMAT Club users,
My name is David, nice to meet you :)

I am a senior tutor at examPAL and have been in the test-prep business for years.
This thread is the place for you to ask me anything about CR - from 'how should I approach a question' to 'why is this answer correct' to general tips on the topic you find most difficult.

To start off, the Most Important CR tip:
Think before looking at the answer choices!

The general structure for solving a CR question is almost always
1. Break the passage down into its logical components.
2. Use your skills of deduction to infer what the answer choice 'looks like' (what pieces of information it contains, what the logic between the different parts should be)
3. Go to the answer choices and see if your predicted answer choice, or something very similar to it, is there.
4. If you like, also skim over the other options to make sure there isn't something 'better'.

Note that step 2 shouldn't tell you the exact answer - its goal is to narrow your search space so you can ignore all irrelevant information and focus only on the important bits. Otherwise, the vast majority of students end up wasting most of their time reading the different options, thinking about each, and becoming very confused.

Best of luck to everyone on their GMAT and remember - the GMAT is just a stepping stone! What is it you actually want to achieve?

See you in the CR forums,
David.


Hi DavidTutorexamPAL

There are times when(This i face especially in Weaken question type) i get to two answer options, out of which i think one can be the correct answer, I am unable to remove the incorrect option.

So, at times i end up marking the incorrect one, In such scenarios what should I do??

Should i re read the argument again, and try to relate the answer options with the conclusion?, After knowing the OA, look for transition words which made it different.

Would like to hear your thoughts on such a scenario.
_________________
If you notice any discrepancy in my reasoning, please let me know. Lets improve together.

Quote which i can relate to.
Many of life's failures happen with people who do not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
examPAL Representative
User avatar
P
Joined: 07 Dec 2017
Posts: 1153
Re: examPAL CR Forum Expert David - Ask Me Anything about GMAT CR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2019, 08:11
1
KanishkM wrote:
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
Ask me Anything about GMAT Critical Reasoning


Hello GMAT Club users,
My name is David, nice to meet you :)

I am a senior tutor at examPAL and have been in the test-prep business for years.
This thread is the place for you to ask me anything about CR - from 'how should I approach a question' to 'why is this answer correct' to general tips on the topic you find most difficult.

To start off, the Most Important CR tip:
Think before looking at the answer choices!

The general structure for solving a CR question is almost always
1. Break the passage down into its logical components.
2. Use your skills of deduction to infer what the answer choice 'looks like' (what pieces of information it contains, what the logic between the different parts should be)
3. Go to the answer choices and see if your predicted answer choice, or something very similar to it, is there.
4. If you like, also skim over the other options to make sure there isn't something 'better'.

Note that step 2 shouldn't tell you the exact answer - its goal is to narrow your search space so you can ignore all irrelevant information and focus only on the important bits. Otherwise, the vast majority of students end up wasting most of their time reading the different options, thinking about each, and becoming very confused.

Best of luck to everyone on their GMAT and remember - the GMAT is just a stepping stone! What is it you actually want to achieve?

See you in the CR forums,
David.


Hi DavidTutorexamPAL

There are times when(This i face especially in Weaken question type) i get to two answer options, out of which i think one can be the correct answer, I am unable to remove the incorrect option.

So, at times i end up marking the incorrect one, In such scenarios what should I do??

Should i re read the argument again, and try to relate the answer options with the conclusion?, After knowing the OA, look for transition words which made it different.

Would like to hear your thoughts on such a scenario.


Hey KanishkM,
This is a good and difficult question.
I am assuming you get to this situation usually after using the process of elimination (what we call in examPAL the Alternative approach). So, the first question to ask is whether this is the right approach to start with. Other options are using the Precise or Logical approaches: taking all the info in the question, and thinking what a solution will look like, before you look at the answers.
Anyway, if you do get to this situation, I recommend two things:
1) note the key differences between the answers: what is true for one and wrong for the other?
2) go back to the question - what dos it ask us? is it possible that both answers have accurate information, but only one actually answers the questions?
3) read the question prompt - how does the info in it connect to the difference between the questions?

Hope this helps
_________________
Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 09 Mar 2018
Posts: 994
Location: India
Re: examPAL CR Forum Expert David - Ask Me Anything about GMAT CR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2019, 08:28
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
KanishkM wrote:
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
Ask me Anything about GMAT Critical Reasoning


Hello GMAT Club users,
My name is David, nice to meet you :)

I am a senior tutor at examPAL and have been in the test-prep business for years.
This thread is the place for you to ask me anything about CR - from 'how should I approach a question' to 'why is this answer correct' to general tips on the topic you find most difficult.

To start off, the Most Important CR tip:
Think before looking at the answer choices!

The general structure for solving a CR question is almost always
1. Break the passage down into its logical components.
2. Use your skills of deduction to infer what the answer choice 'looks like' (what pieces of information it contains, what the logic between the different parts should be)
3. Go to the answer choices and see if your predicted answer choice, or something very similar to it, is there.
4. If you like, also skim over the other options to make sure there isn't something 'better'.

Note that step 2 shouldn't tell you the exact answer - its goal is to narrow your search space so you can ignore all irrelevant information and focus only on the important bits. Otherwise, the vast majority of students end up wasting most of their time reading the different options, thinking about each, and becoming very confused.

Best of luck to everyone on their GMAT and remember - the GMAT is just a stepping stone! What is it you actually want to achieve?

See you in the CR forums,
David.


Hi DavidTutorexamPAL

There are times when(This i face especially in Weaken question type) i get to two answer options, out of which i think one can be the correct answer, I am unable to remove the incorrect option.

So, at times i end up marking the incorrect one, In such scenarios what should I do??

Should i re read the argument again, and try to relate the answer options with the conclusion?, After knowing the OA, look for transition words which made it different.

Would like to hear your thoughts on such a scenario.


Hey KanishkM,
This is a good and difficult question.
I am assuming you get to this situation usually after using the process of elimination (what we call in examPAL the Alternative approach). So, the first question to ask is whether this is the right approach to start with. Other options are using the Precise or Logical approaches: taking all the info in the question, and thinking what a solution will look like, before you look at the answers.
Anyway, if you do get to this situation, I recommend two things:
1) note the key differences between the answers: what is true for one and wrong for the other?
2) go back to the question - what dos it ask us? is it possible that both answers have accurate information, but only one actually answers the questions?
3) read the question prompt - how does the info in it connect to the difference between the questions?

Hope this helps


Yes DavidTutorexamPAL it does align with my thought process.

Thank you for providing your valuable insight.

I certainly will think on the terms mentioned by you.
_________________
If you notice any discrepancy in my reasoning, please let me know. Lets improve together.

Quote which i can relate to.
Many of life's failures happen with people who do not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 21 Oct 2017
Posts: 14
Re: examPAL CR Forum Expert David - Ask Me Anything about GMAT CR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2019, 08:36
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
Samine wrote:
Hey Samine,
D talks about large amounts of contaminants. the argument talks about allowing minute amounts. Crucial difference.


I don't get it. The phrase "minute amounts of contaminants" is used to describe current technology while the phrase "large amounts of contaminants" is used to set standards

Could you please explain more details?
examPAL Representative
User avatar
P
Joined: 07 Dec 2017
Posts: 1153
Re: examPAL CR Forum Expert David - Ask Me Anything about GMAT CR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2019, 08:39
Samine wrote:
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
Samine wrote:
Hey Samine,
D talks about large amounts of contaminants. the argument talks about allowing minute amounts. Crucial difference.


I don't get it. The phrase "minute amounts of contaminants" is used to describe current technology while the phrase "large amounts of contaminants" is used to set standards

Could you please explain more details?


The argument says that it's ok to allow very small amounts ("minute") amounts of contaminants.
D says it's ok to allow very large amounts.
That's a big difference, and it's the reason that D is wrong.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: examPAL CR Forum Expert David - Ask Me Anything about GMAT CR   [#permalink] 15 Jan 2019, 08:39
Display posts from previous: Sort by

examPAL CR Forum Expert David - Ask Me Anything about GMAT CR

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne