It is currently 19 Sep 2017, 14:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Examples of "tulipomania," a term coined from the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 1

Examples of "tulipomania," a term coined from the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2008, 14:54
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

33% (00:00) correct 67% (00:40) wrong based on 16 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Examples of "tulipomania," a term coined from the tulip craze of the seventeenth-century in the Netherlands, include speculative bubbles in South Seas trading rights in the 1720s, Victorian real estate in the 1880s, the U.S. stock market in the 1920s, and the obsession for Beanie Babies in the 1990s.

A) Examples of "tulipomania," a term coined from the tulip craze of the seventeenth-century in the Netherlands, include speculative bubbles in South Seas trading rights in the 1720s, Victorian real estate in the 1880s, the U.S. stock market in the 1920s, and
B) Examples of "tulipomania," a term coined from the seventeenth-century tulip craze in the Netherlands, include speculative bubbles in South Seas trading rights in the 1720s, Victorian real estate in the 1880s, and the U.S. stock market in the 1920s, as well as
C) Coined from the seventeenth-century tulip craze in the Netherlands, examples of "tulipomania" include speculative bubbles in South Seas trading rights in the 1720s, Victorian real estate in the 1880s, and the U.S. stock market in the 1920s, as well as
D) Coined from the seventeenth-century tulip craze in the Netherlands, "tulipomania" includes examples such as speculative bubbles in South Seas trading rights in the 1720s, Victorian real estate in the 1880s, the U.S. stock market in the 1920s, and
E) "Tulipomania," coined from the seventeenth-century tulip craze in the Netherlands, included speculative bubbles in South Seas trading rights in the 1720s, Victorian real estate in the 1880s, the U.S. stock market in the 1920s, and

Please explain your answers

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Tulipomania [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2008, 22:24
I chose E.

Rationale: "coined from the 17th-century tulip craze in the Netherlands" is IMO the correct way to phrase this parenthetical phrase. The verb tense of the sentence is the same (coined and included).

BTW, please forgive me. I'm new to the forum and don't know the appropriate terms, yet.

What's the answer? I'm curious! :|

Edited: For randomness.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

Schools: R1:Cornell, Yale, NYU. R2: Haas, MIT, Ross

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2008, 22:40
I would go with E. This is the only statement that has 'includes' in the past tense.....> 'included'. The fact that Tulipomania was coined from the 17th century craze, indicates the need for the past tense.

However I have to be honest I did go for A initially. This one is tough!! :?

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2008, 23:51
I echo ventivish -

A) Examples of "tulipomania," a term coined from the tulip craze of the seventeenth-century in the Netherlands, include speculative bubbles in South Seas trading rights in the 1720s, Victorian real estate in the 1880s, the U.S. stock market in the 1920s, and – Hold

B) Examples of "tulipomania," a term coined from the seventeenth-century tulip craze in the Netherlands, include speculative bubbles in South Seas trading rights in the 1720s, Victorian real estate in the 1880s, and the U.S. stock market in the 1920s, as well as – Parallel issue

C) Coined from the seventeenth-century tulip craze in the Netherlands, examples of "tulipomania" include speculative bubbles in South Seas trading rights in the 1720s, Victorian real estate in the 1880s, and the U.S. stock market in the 1920s, as well as – Modifier issue

D) Coined from the seventeenth-century tulip craze in the Netherlands, "tulipomania" includes examples such as speculative bubbles in South Seas trading rights in the 1720s, Victorian real estate in the 1880s, the U.S. stock market in the 1920s, and – S/V Issue

E) "Tulipomania," coined from the seventeenth-century tulip craze in the Netherlands, included speculative bubbles in South Seas trading rights in the 1720s, Victorian real estate in the 1880s, the U.S. stock market in the 1920s, and – Hold

Between A and E

E - is more idiomatic than A
E - coined from the seventeenth-century tulip craze in the Netherlands
A - a term coined from the tulip craze of the seventeenth-century in the Netherlands

E!

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 688 [1], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2008, 00:08
This post received
KUDOS
I pick B.

we require "as well as" .... Only choice B and C have it. Choice C has serious modifier error.

A has parallelism problem.
C has modifier problem.
D has parallelism problem and "tulipomania" does not include the examples
E included is wrong. And "Tulipomania" did not include the examples ..

icandy wrote:
Examples of "tulipomania," a term coined from the tulip craze of the seventeenth-century in the Netherlands, include speculative bubbles in South Seas trading rights in the 1720s, Victorian real estate in the 1880s, the U.S. stock market in the 1920s, and the obsession for Beanie Babies in the 1990s.

A) Examples of "tulipomania," a term coined from the tulip craze of the seventeenth-century in the Netherlands, include speculative bubbles in South Seas trading rights in the 1720s, Victorian real estate in the 1880s, the U.S. stock market in the 1920s, and
B) Examples of "tulipomania," a term coined from the seventeenth-century tulip craze in the Netherlands, include speculative bubbles in South Seas trading rights in the 1720s, Victorian real estate in the 1880s, and the U.S. stock market in the 1920s, as well as
C) Coined from the seventeenth-century tulip craze in the Netherlands, examples of "tulipomania" include speculative bubbles in South Seas trading rights in the 1720s, Victorian real estate in the 1880s, and the U.S. stock market in the 1920s, as well as
D) Coined from the seventeenth-century tulip craze in the Netherlands, "tulipomania" includes examples such as speculative bubbles in South Seas trading rights in the 1720s, Victorian real estate in the 1880s, the U.S. stock market in the 1920s, and
E) "Tulipomania," coined from the seventeenth-century tulip craze in the Netherlands, included speculative bubbles in South Seas trading rights in the 1720s, Victorian real estate in the 1880s, the U.S. stock market in the 1920s, and

Please explain your answers

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Kudos [?]: 688 [1], given: 1

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 278 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2008, 01:47
It is B.

Examples include bubbles and obsession.
Since, the sentence also combines examples of bubbles, hence the sentence should have "as well as obsession".

Between B and C, C has the modifier issue. Hence, B.

Kudos [?]: 278 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2008, 14:29
amitdgr wrote:
I pick B.

we require "as well as" .... Only choice B and C have it. Choice C has serious modifier error.

C has modifier problem.

Can you be a little bit more clear on why we need as well as?

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 688 [2], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2008, 14:54
This post received
KUDOS
icandy wrote:
amitdgr wrote:
I pick B.

C has modifier problem.

let us have a look at the structure of the original sentence
ignore the part of sentence in green for a while, because it does not-essential for our discussion
Quote:
Examples of "tulipomania", a term coined from the tulip craze of the seventeenth-century in the Netherlands, include

A) speculative bubbles in
1) South Seas trading rights in the 1720s,
2) Victorian real estate in the 1880s,
3) the U.S. stock market in the 1920s,

and

B) obsession for (obviously we cannot have speculative bubble in obsession !!)
1) Beanie Babies in the 1990s.

here we see there are 2 different lists A and B. (I take liberty to call B a list).

First, we need an "and" before the last item in list A --> speculative bubbles in X, Y and Z
second, we need "as well as" which means "in addition to" to join the two lists.

Now, Why "as well as" ?
We need "as well as" to join the two lists .. If we use "and" the sentence may sound awkward ... It would read -- X,Y and Z and P and Q whereas it should read "X,Y and Z as well as P and Q".

[I read this rule(if I can call it that) somewhere on gmatclub .. unfortunately I do not remember which thread and the search is not throwing up any results :(]

Only choices B and C have "as well as". Choice C has modifier issue.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other way to look at it is .... we recognize there are 2 lists of examples. The first list needs an "and" before the last item in the list. Only choices B and C have that in place.

Hope this helps.

Kudos [?]: 688 [2], given: 1

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2008, 15:28
So i did this question and agreed with everyone else about (A) and could not understnad how it could be (B).

But amit, very good explanation. I could not see the two lists..... but your explanation and concentration are fantastic (and sings "I can see clearly now"......)

Well done!

Sumi

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2008, 15:53
icandy, whats the source?

can we expect these hybrid CR/SC questions on the GMAT?

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2008, 15:59
I found a simpler example .... I felt this will help in our discussion ...

Source: GMAT Paper test 48

All-terrain vehicles have allowed vacationers to reach many previously inaccessible areas, but they have also been blamed for causing hundreds of deaths, injury to thousands, and seriously damaging the nation's recreational areas.
(A) deaths, injury to thousands, and seriously damaging
(B) deaths and injuring thousands, and serious damage to
(C) deaths, thousands who are injured, as well as seriously damaging
(D) deaths and thousands of injuries, as well as doing serious damage to
(E) deaths, thousands are injured, and they do serious damage to

Let us analyze the structure of the original sentence

All-terrain vehicles have allowed vacationers to reach many previously inaccessible areas, but they have also been blamed for

A) causing hundreds of
1) deaths,
2) injury to thousands,

and

B)seriously damaging
1) the nation's recreational areas.

We need "and" before "injury" to complete list A properly.
Only Choices B and D have "and". And we need "as well as" here to join the two lists.

So choice D must be correct.

11-t71523
11-t14727

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2008, 20:16
@amitdgr: nice explanation, I definitely would have missed this one in the real test - or at least wasted a lot of time on it. Kudos.

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 832 [0], given: 19

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2008, 22:00
amitdgr wrote:
icandy wrote:
amitdgr wrote:
I pick B.

C has modifier problem.

let us have a look at the structure of the original sentence
ignore the part of sentence in green for a while, because it does not-essential for our discussion
Quote:
Examples of "tulipomania", a term coined from the tulip craze of the seventeenth-century in the Netherlands, include

A) speculative bubbles in
1) South Seas trading rights in the 1720s,
2) Victorian real estate in the 1880s,
3) the U.S. stock market in the 1920s,

and

B) obsession for (obviously we cannot have speculative bubble in obsession !!)
1) Beanie Babies in the 1990s.

here we see there are 2 different lists A and B. (I take liberty to call B a list).

First, we need an "and" before the last item in list A --> speculative bubbles in X, Y and Z
second, we need "as well as" which means "in addition to" to join the two lists.

Now, Why "as well as" ?
We need "as well as" to join the two lists .. If we use "and" the sentence may sound awkward ... It would read -- X,Y and Z and P and Q whereas it should read "X,Y and Z as well as P and Q".

[I read this rule(if I can call it that) somewhere on gmatclub .. unfortunately I do not remember which thread and the search is not throwing up any results :(]

Only choices B and C have "as well as". Choice C has modifier issue.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other way to look at it is .... we recognize there are 2 lists of examples. The first list needs an "and" before the last item in the list. Only choices B and C have that in place.

Hope this helps.

Pretty much convincing----> There is a long pause in between 1920 and 1990. so "as well as" fits better.

Nice one. +1

Verbal: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: http://gmatclub.com/forum/everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Kudos [?]: 832 [0], given: 19

Re: SC: Tulipomania   [#permalink] 30 Oct 2008, 22:00