GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2019, 05:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Excavations of the Roman city of Sepphoris have uncovered numerous det

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: Excavations of the Roman city of Sepphoris have uncovered numerous det  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2019, 23:39
limitlessliu wrote:
Have to say I don't quite agree with most people's answers above. There is nowhere in answer choice E:

There was not a common repertory of mosaic designs with which artisans who lived in various parts of the Roman Empire were familiar.

That says the common repertory of mosaic designs contain "a hare, a partridge, and various Mediterranean fish". What if the common repertory of mosaic don't contain any of these?

Now if choice E says:

There was not a common repertory of mosaic designs (containing a hare, a partridge, and various Mediterranean fish) with which artisans who lived in various parts of the Roman Empire were familiar.

Then I'd say this is the right answer. Otherwise I think this question is poorly made.

Hi limitlessliu,

When choice E says "common repertory of mosaic designs", it refers to a "common collection of designs" that the artisans pulled from. There's no reason to assume that three animals, which appear in mosaic designs across the Roman Empire, would not be a part of this common repertory. By definition, "common" means that many artisans, or artisans in several different places, used those designs. If it's known that "a hare, a partridge, and various Mediterranean fish" were in mosaics in different places across the Roman Empire, they would essentially automatically be considered to be a part of this "common repertory". So there's no reason that choice E needs to specify that these three animals would be included in order for it to be correct.

Does that make sense? If not, let me know! :)
-Carolyn
B
Re: Excavations of the Roman city of Sepphoris have uncovered numerous det  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2019, 05:34
I think that makes sense. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2019, 05:46
Hi Carolyn,

Thinking about this some more, I've gotta say that I'm still not completely satisfied with choice E. Here is my reasoning, it is possible for these conditions to coexist:

1. There exists a common collection of designs throughout Rome that contains a bunch of animals (just not hare, partrige and fish)
2. That hare, partrige and fish are created by traveling artisans

I guess you could say that it is ASSUMED that these three animals are a part of the common collection, but still, it is NOT specified in the answer choice, so why would I assume? My above two conditions shows that there CAN exist A common collection, yet for the conclusion of traveling artisans creating these three motifs in Sepphoris to be true.

Also not trying to nic pick here. I answer these questions with the mindset of questioning every answer choice, so the above are just the questions I raised for choice E, and actual thinking I used while I answered the question.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2019, 16:03
limitlessliu wrote:
Hi Carolyn,

Thinking about this some more, I've gotta say that I'm still not completely satisfied with choice E. Here is my reasoning, it is possible for these conditions to coexist:

1. There exists a common collection of designs throughout Rome that contains a bunch of animals (just not hare, partrige and fish)
2. That hare, partrige and fish are created by traveling artisans

I guess you could say that it is ASSUMED that these three animals are a part of the common collection, but still, it is NOT specified in the answer choice, so why would I assume? My above two conditions shows that there CAN exist A common collection, yet for the conclusion of traveling artisans creating these three motifs in Sepphoris to be true.

Also not trying to nic pick here. I answer these questions with the mindset of questioning every answer choice, so the above are just the questions I raised for choice E, and actual thinking I used while I answered the question.

Hi limitlessliu,

It's great that you're thinking carefully about questions like this :) However, here you may be slightly overthinking it a bit. Remember that we can (and should) make reasonable assumptions in order to answer these kinds of questions. Also remember that we are always looking for the best answer, which may not be a perfect one. So even though this answer many not be perfect, it's exactly the kind of answer that you'll see on the actual GMAT, so it's good to learn to recognize the kind of thought process that should be followed here.

I hope that makes sense! :)
-Carolyn
Re: Excavations of the Roman city of Sepphoris have uncovered numerous det   [#permalink] 20 Mar 2019, 16:03

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 24 posts ] 

Excavations of the Roman city of Sepphoris have uncovered numerous det

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics