GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 23:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Experience with Australian EMBA programs?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Experience with Australian EMBA programs?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2018, 02:18
Hi all,

I'd love to hear anecdotes or advice from anyone who's had experience with EMBA programs in Australia. I'm based in QLD but am willing to travel domestically. That said, I'm also interested in hearing from anyone who has done a non-Australian EMBA while living in Australia (i.e. flying overseas for residential stints).

My background
Work experience: 6 years in consulting at a Big 4, followed by 2+ years in senior management at a technology consulting start-up
Undergrad GPA: 6.7 (which is apparently equivalent to a 4.0 based on Scholaro's GPA Calculator)
GMAT: 760

Why I'm doing this
My primary reason is leadership capability development. I'm not using this to try to segway into a different industry, nor am I pushing for a major promotion - though I'm certainly working to prepare for future opportunities. I've risen through the ranks fairly quickly and have built up my confidence and experience along the way, but I believe the right EMBA will help me hone a range of soft skills and increase my effectiveness as a leader.

Apart from that, I'm also interested in rounding out my business knowledge, injecting fresh ideas and perspectives into my life, and developing my network ("intense boot camp" style). I also want to stay sane through it all!

Current thinking
EMBAs appeal to me for two reasons: firstly, their "time block" structures will be easier to fit around my FT work commitments; secondly, I'm excited to learn from and bounce ideas with an experienced cohort.

I've been looking into Queensland University of Technology's EMBA, which was ranked Australia's top EMBA by Boss in 2017, and the University of Sydney's Global EMBA, which is fairly new but is appealing due to 3 fortnights of international study across different continents. The former is an established program that focuses more on the core areas that interest me, including leadership and soft skills, while the latter is at a more highly-ranked university and may be more eye-opening from a global perspective. (I'm also a sucker for international study tours.) Monash's Global EMBA would also have been in the running, but its intake schedule didn't align well with my other commitments.

Any thoughts, experiences or advice would be welcome!
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Experience with Australian EMBA programs?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2018, 12:26
As you probably aware, Australian employers are a bit less influenced by the MBA degree in general and rather seem to focus on work experience and prior accomplishments. Having said that, MBA is more than just something for the employer - it is an experience, it is learning, and it is figuring out better who you are, what you are capable of, and where you should be.

You have an amazing GMAT score - that's 99th percentile while most Australian programs, even FT are unlikely to break the 700 average. Have you considered other programs? I am not sure how suitable or comfortable they will be but you have an option for Singapore, HK, or possibly something global such as Fuqua's Cross Continent (technically an online program with a travel component). Or this: https://www.ust.hk/about-hkust/media-re ... ghth-time/ and http://emba.ust.hk/overview/testimonials/

Ultimately you want the right tool for the task and traveling 10 hours each way may not be feasible... or it may be fun....

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
B
Experience with Australian EMBA programs?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 Aug 2018, 15:33
bb wrote:
Ultimately you want the right tool for the task and traveling 10 hours each way may not be feasible... or it may be fun....

Thanks bb, really appreciate the advice. I'll definitely look into the programs you suggested - at least timezone differences are minimal across the Asia Pacific.

I started down the EMBA journey mainly for personal development reasons, and I only took the GMAT to improve my odds at getting a scholarship (as most Australian programs don't require a GMAT score for entry, but some do require one for scholarship considerations). The past 24h have been interesting because they've made me question whether I should set my sights higher or broader!

Originally posted by chanange on 16 Aug 2018, 14:28.
Last edited by chanange on 16 Aug 2018, 15:33, edited 2 times in total.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Experience with Australian EMBA programs?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2018, 14:43
There is also the Sloan Program at Stanford. That’s called Stanford MSx now - a 1 year MBA for 35+ year olds. It is pretty unique but it is full time.

Not sure about Australia, but in the US EMBAs rarely provide scholarships. This is a for-profit side of the business and often paid by employers. You may get lucky however But don’t expect it. Though your gmat score is pretty amazing for an EMBA applicant.

Good Luck!

Posted from my mobile device

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Experience with Australian EMBA programs? &nbs [#permalink] 16 Aug 2018, 14:43

Experience with Australian EMBA programs?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap