Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:54 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Experts pls help in rating my first ever AWA [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I wouldn't worry so much about limiting to 250. Examples do in fact make your writing more interesting and specific -- so, the more you can do there the better. There won't be a fact-checker, so your examples can be what you want them to be. Variation in word/sentence length can only help with score performance.

Good luck!!

-Brian

bev wrote:
brianlange77 wrote:
I really like the 5 paragraph structure -- I'd probably say this is a 4.5-5.0. If you wanted to go higher, I'd encourage one-two more sentences per paragraph to add a little depth. But, you are at a really good place if this is your first run.

Congrats!

Many thanks Brian. I have taken due note of your suggestion. A quick check - will I need to restrict my word limit strictly to 250 words, or do I get a leeway? Also, will citing examples give the content more depth? If yes, does the example need to be exacto - meaning it should provide real life proven facts or can I make my own examples to suit the argument? Lastly, how important are the quality of words in the essay - I have a tendency to write easy, do I need to learn incorporating "big" words?

Your answers will be of great help

Regards
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Hi Brian,

I'm posting mine as a reply. Please do read and rate my essay. Thank you very much.

Hi!

Could you please score my AWA essay? I would appreciate specifics on the reasoning, flaw selection, etc., along with the score. Thank you very much.

“Our promotional price reductions on energy drinks have been highly successful, as we have seen a dramatic increase in unit sales. Further, surveys of our consumers indicate that this promotion was favorably received by the majority of our customers. Therefore, to improve our company’s profitability and enhance its perception in the eyes of consumers, similar price reductions should be offered on all drinks produced by our firm.”

Discuss how well reasoned you find this argument. Point out flaws in the argument's logic and analyze the argument's underlying assumptions. In addition, evaluate how supporting evidence is used and what evidence might counter the argument's conclusion. You may also discuss what additional evidence could be used to strengthen the argument or what changes would make the argument more logically sound.

MY RESPONSE:
The manufacturer's conclusion that reducing prices of all drinks would increase the company's profitability and enhance its perception in the eyes of its consumers is based on many questionable factors and there is little factual evidence to substantiate the inference.

Firstly, the manufacturer presumes that the promotional price reductions caused the increase in unit sales and states nothing to provide support for this assumption. Some other factor could very well be the driving force in increasing sales. For instance, if the unit sales of energy drinks has increased across all companies that manufacture energy drinks then something else other than the drop in price is the cause it. The author can strengthen this evidence by providing evidence that shows that the price reduction is indeed the cause.

Secondly, the author fails to mentions any details of the data set that was used for the survey, so it is likely that the consumers who took the survey were not well representative of the entire consumer base. For example, if the number was actually considerably smaller than the actual consumer base then it is insufficient to draw conclusion based on the data collected. Further, the survey could have targeted only the consumers who were price sensitive thereby producing biased results. The author should have provided information on how the survey was conducted.

Thirdly, nothing is mentioned about the margins on all the drinks. Perhaps some have lower margins than others which would ultimately result in a loss. Also, nothing is mentioned about the length of the promotion, which is also a crucial factor to consider.

Lastly, dropping prices of all drinks could result in consumers doubting the quality of product and may seem desperate and this would have an adverse effect.

Based on the above mentioned points, the conclusion drawn by the manufacturer is weak.

Please do reply. Thanks! :-D
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts