It is currently 23 Jan 2018, 04:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Factory outlet stores

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Factory outlet stores [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2008, 09:14
Factory outlet stores, operated by manufacturers, are usually located miles from downtown and regional shopping centers so as not directly to be competitive against department stores in the same trading area.
(A) so as not directly to be competitive against
(B) in order for them not to have direct competition with
(C) so that they do not compete directly with
(D) in order that they are not directly competitive against
(E) for the purpose of not competing directly with

Can someone tell me what is "they" referring to in C here.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck, Duke
Re: Factory outlet stores [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2008, 09:20
They refer to factory outlet stores
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2008, 09:34
why not to regional shopping centers?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2008, 05:02
I think "they" reffers to shopping centers, because it comes after "shopping centers' not after factory outlets. I'm just curious: OA is E?
SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2008, 07:20
grepro wrote:
why not to regional shopping centers?

If you think logically they refers to "factory outlet stores".

if "they" refers to "shopping centers" , then sentence doesn't makes sense.

Factory outlet stores ... are usually located miles from downtown and regional shopping centers so that they donot directly compete against department stores in the same trading area.

e.g .

Macy's outlet stores.. are usually located miles from regional shopping centers(which has macys store too)..
so that "regional shopping centers (which has macy's store too)" donot directly compete against "department stores" (macy's store) in the same trading area.

here you are comparing "macy's store in the same trading area with same or other macy's store in same area"
It doesn't make sense.

"Macy's out stores" donot directly compete against "departments sotres(macy's store in regional shopping centers) --> this is logical.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2008, 07:36
If we go by logic, a lot of pronoun errors GMAT considers as errors won't be errors because logically the meaning would be lost.

Whether it makes sense or not is a different issue. There were so many Q's in which many answer choices were ruled out just because pronoun reference is ambiguous

IMO, This is a Q that wants you to explore every answer grammatically and chose the best answer. Apparently GMAT considers E to be worse than C.

I know that so that is better than for the purpose of. But what exactly rules out E and pushes towards C?
Re: Factory outlet stores   [#permalink] 03 Sep 2008, 07:36

Factory outlet stores

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap