GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Dec 2018, 01:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Happy Christmas 20% Sale! Math Revolution All-In-One Products!

December 20, 2018

December 20, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

This is the most inexpensive and attractive price in the market. Get the course now!
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

December 22, 2018

December 22, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

Failed GMAT 2nd time with same score of 480, Need help!!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 480 Q35 V21
Failed GMAT 2nd time with same score of 480, Need help!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2016, 12:13
Hi,

First Attempt:
I recently took my first GMAT exam on December 3, 2015 and my score was 480 (Q35,V21). I was feeling shattered with my score and I thought may be I did not study well or something. I studied from Kaplan resources. My study pattern was like 16 hours/week and I felt I am doing well.
Kaplan CAT scores:
CAT 1: 510
CAT 2: 480
CAT 3 580
CAT 4: 530
CAT 5: 540

Second Attempt:
So, I took 3 weeks off from everything else and started studying and rescheduled GMAT for January 21, 2015. I have been studying 6 hours a day during those 3 weeks and tried to do the best I could by studying all the Veritas books. Surprisingly I got the same score this time 480 (Q37,V19). This time I studied using Veritas prep resources, thinking that I have already exhausted Kaplan material so I should go for Veritas Prep resources for studying as I heard it is good material to study from. This time I took GMAT Prep as I heard that it is the most accurate score measure for the exam.
GMAT Prep 1: 480
GMAT Prep 2: 540

I am already admitted in MBA program that I want to pursue, but I need to submit a GMAT score of 600+ to go to school. I have not given up on my goal to pursue education just because of an exam. I have decided to retake it for the third time. I do not want to repeat the history by making the same mistakes again. This is my last chance to get the GMAT score for my school before April, which means I have like 2 months to take the exam again and score a 600+. Please help me guys with your experience and expertise so that I can achieve my goal and beat the gmat with help of a strategic approach, because I have realized that number of hours of study and cramming the books does not help to beat this test. I heard that gmatclub is a really good platform for those who seek guidance and it really helps to ace the gmat. Thanks.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Failed GMAT 2nd time with same score of 480, Need help!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2016, 18:19
Hi saadsaab_19,

Your two Official GMAT Scores are essentially the same performance - you did certain things consistently well, but you made the same consistent mistakes. Many Test Takers who use a 'book-heavy' study approach tend to get 'stuck' at a particular scoring level; that's likely a part of what's happened to you. In addition, since you've been studying a certain way for so long, you've likely developed some 'bad habits' that will take some time to 'fix' (and replace with new 'good habits').

Thankfully, your score goal is modest and 2 months is still plenty of time to make the necessary adjustments to how you study and improve. Given what you've described, you might want to invest in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led).

1) Have you scheduled your next Official GMAT yet?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

e-GMAT Representative
G
Re: Failed GMAT 2nd time with same score of 480, Need help!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2016, 21:50
480 to 600 is definitely possible if you put in 120 hours of effort. Here is what you need to decide:

1. What would be your target Quant and Verbal scores. I would recommend a Q45, V32 (for 630).
2. The start with either Quant or Verbal. I would recommend Verbal and finishing the same. Spend about 70 hours on the same.
3. Learn how to adapt your study plan. Look at some of the examples below for inspiration.

There are many students who have done the same. Click the links below to see more such examples:

Sudheshna improved from V19 (19 percentile) to V37 (83 percentile). Listen to her debriefing to learn how she modulated her preparation based on her weaknesses (and strengths).

https://www.youtube.com/user/eGMATconcepts

Learn how Nikhil improved the GMAT Verbal Score from V19 to V38 over three attempts. Nitin articulates his struggles during this three GMAT Test attempts, outlining what worked for him and how was he able to finally improve to V38.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihSqlHa ... ia&index=8

Tanay improved from 580, 600 to 710, improving his GMAT Verbal score from V28 to V40 in the process. Three things that led to improvement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc-9WO- ... caQTR6mAia

Attend CR Prethinking Session

We have a webinar on Prethinking tomorrow. Don't forget to attend the same. Click on the link below to register.

https://e-gmat.com/algebra-cr2/?channel ... ent=AlgCR2

Regards,

Rajat Sadana

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Failed GMAT 2nd time with same score of 480, Need help!!! &nbs [#permalink] 23 Jan 2016, 21:50

Failed GMAT 2nd time with same score of 480, Need help!!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap