Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:57 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
Re: Failed GMAT 5 Times [#permalink]
navy01 wrote:
How many times have you done GmatPrep and PowerPrep? Your score shouldn't be a surprise if you have prepared with these two CATs. Have you used Manhattan GMAT material and done those CATs? People who "fail" often times haven't taken enough CATs since the actual simulation is a lot different than reading through questions.

You should look into a private tutor. I think your errors are fundamental and a tutor would help you overcome and learn the tricks of each answer and help you practice executing those tricks/strategies. *I'm not associated in any way with private tutoring.

Well to be honest, I haven't done any CATS. Maybe 1?

I thought as long as I did OG, it's enough.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [1]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Kudos
OG question types are very similar but you'll notice that people who do well take a lot of CATs. There is something different from eliminating answers off a paper and computer. GMATPrep (two tests) will forcast your score to within 20 points so you should take that before you take another GMAT. With 5 GMAT scores, AdCom is going to be wondering what's going on so your next (and LAST) should be above your 550 mark.

I'm also going to guess you haven't bought MGMAT. Get it, people who use it get good scores because it stresses the basics.

Basic tricks...
1. Reading Comp - Eliminate all extreme answers
2. Sentence Correction - look for 3/2 split
3. Critical Reasoning - eliminate all out of scope answers
4. Data Sufficiency - AD or BCE (if the answer is A the only other is D, if B then only CE remain)
5. Data Sufficiency - if you don't know A, start with B
6. Data Sufficiency - if you say the answer is "no, x doens't = 5" the pick is correct (people will sometimes eliminiate it by accident)
7. Sentence Correction - go down checklist of (Subject-Verb, Modifiers, Comparisions, Parallel, Verb Tense, Idioms, etc.)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
mjoeb wrote:
navy01 wrote:
How many times have you done GmatPrep and PowerPrep? Your score shouldn't be a surprise if you have prepared with these two CATs. Have you used Manhattan GMAT material and done those CATs? People who "fail" often times haven't taken enough CATs since the actual simulation is a lot different than reading through questions.

You should look into a private tutor. I think your errors are fundamental and a tutor would help you overcome and learn the tricks of each answer and help you practice executing those tricks/strategies. *I'm not associated in any way with private tutoring.

Well to be honest, I haven't done any CATS. Maybe 1?

I thought as long as I did OG, it's enough.

OG11 is great for understanding the content of the GMAT but there's so much more to taking the test than just knowing your stuff. Practice CATs are essential for improving "other" factors such as pacing and confidence. You mentioned that you took the PR course. Use all of the resources that they provided to your advantage! Take all 5 practice CATs and finish all math and verbal pacing drills in your online classroom. Memorize your idioms! Start participating on the math and verbal forums on GMAT Club. Post questions you cannot figure out and help others by providing answers to their questions. Insteall GMATPrep software and regularly take and re-take their CATs. The GMATPrep software interface is identical to that of the real GMAT. It's all about maximizing your exposure to as many quality questions as possible. That way when you sit for the real test again it won't look foreign.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Send PM
Well said Yih Wei. In addition, keep an error log and make sure you focus on all your weak points. DEFINITELY take lots of CATs before your actual test. That's crucial!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
alright, rotman told me to write it again.

i just ordered MGMAT number properties, sentence correction, and equalities/equations book.

...if MGMAT is really that awesome, i better not regret it -_-.

can anyone tell me what their experience is with mgmat?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
you won't regret it, you will pick up some good stuff. SC book you will have solid foundation after that, it's not going to make you a superstar in verbal, but it will make sure you have your bases covered. It is up to you to be able to use it effectively. The number properties book was great because it taught me about prime factoring and how to use it. I think that was huge. Equalities and equations I forget, but just more solid fundamentals you need to know down cold.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
*bump*

anyone else care to share their experience with MGMAT?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
mjoeb wrote:
*bump*

anyone else care to share their experience with MGMAT?

I have heard nothing but good things from MGMAT. I have it in my possession and will start studying it soon as I plan on taking the exam in August.

8-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
You should really consider whether or not you will actually be able to complete an MBA if you get accepted...not that it is indicative of academic performance...but if you are having this much trouble with the GMAT...think about how hard the real work is going to be.

If this bad performance is due to lack of effort/preparation then it's indicative of how much you actually care about doing well on the GMAT (which isn't very much if you tried 5x). If you truly have tried your all each of these 5 times...then you might have to accept that maybe this isn't the right path for you.

And no offense...but if you cannot keep up academically, you will simply be a drain on your classmates who you get grouped with.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
MGMAT is sensational. I'd say, if possible, get the word translations book as well. I found some techniques in the word translation to be invaluable.

Good luck.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts