It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 20:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Fear mongering by GMAT prep providers

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [1], given: 9

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools: McCombs
GMAT 1: 630 Q40 V40
GPA: 2.99
WE: Education (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Fear mongering by GMAT prep providers [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 21:25
This post received
KUDOS
Disclosure: I am taking these prep classes and practice tests to help my son prep for his GMAT test. He will start prepping in Jan’18, and will apply for Fall ’19 via the Consortium. I’ll be his study buddy. Also, I want to know what my money will buy. My bonafides: UT AUSTIN MBA’90, GPA 3.41, GMAT 630. (I don’t test very well.) Decent career in small business consulting. Been there / Done that. Anyway...

So far, I have taken advantage of free GMAT prep classes from 5 different vendors. During my brief encounter with their services, I believe their star ratings are correct. What I object to are the constant innuendos (during on-line classes), adverts, and emails that stress reaching the holy grail at the “700+ level.” (DS problem: After spending 3 months and $1,500+, I will achieve a score >700. Given: 1) average of 556, 2) standard deviation of 120...AD / BCE?)

Unwelcome comments include remarks such as, “MBA schools don’t want students who can’t do X.” Vendors then proceed to suggest (push) more (and expensive) add-on services. A situation exists (in the GMAT world / prep industry) akin to either an arms race or an addiction. The providers ensure their profits by fanning the flames of insecurity (and fear) among their captive audience. This is shameful. I think this scenario also violates anti-trust statutes. This is a cartel.

Another issue is the overfocus on your GMAT score. Once accepted into an MBA program, your score is meaningless. The score will not affect your grades. No one will ask about it and you will face “regular” math problems. At any top 50 MBA school, you will also enjoy plenty of math, language and writing support. Focus on the rest of the application process. If you scored 680, leave well-enough alone and enjoy the ride. Hook’Em Horns!

McCombs MBA 1990, Hook'Em Horns. I am helping my son prep for 2019, while trying to keep a 66 y.o. brain active. ;-)

Kudos [?]: 12 [1], given: 9

BSchool Thread Master
G

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 7

Concentration: Operations
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Fear mongering by GMAT prep providers [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2017, 03:39
RigelKent wrote:
Disclosure: I am taking these prep classes and practice tests to help my son prep for his GMAT test. He will start prepping in Jan’18, and will apply for Fall ’19 via the Consortium. I’ll be his study buddy. Also, I want to know what my money will buy. My bonafides: UT AUSTIN MBA’90, GPA 3.41, GMAT 630. (I don’t test very well.) Decent career in small business consulting. Been there / Done that. Anyway...

So far, I have taken advantage of free GMAT prep classes from 5 different vendors. During my brief encounter with their services, I believe their star ratings are correct. What I object to are the constant innuendos (during on-line classes), adverts, and emails that stress reaching the holy grail at the “700+ level.” (DS problem: After spending 3 months and $1,500+, I will achieve a score >700. Given: 1) average of 556, 2) standard deviation of 120...AD / BCE?)

Unwelcome comments include remarks such as, “MBA schools don’t want students who can’t do X.” Vendors then proceed to suggest (push) more (and expensive) add-on services. A situation exists (in the GMAT world / prep industry) akin to either an arms race or an addiction. The providers ensure their profits by fanning the flames of insecurity (and fear) among their captive audience. This is shameful. I think this scenario also violates anti-trust statutes. This is a cartel.

Another issue is the overfocus on your GMAT score. Once accepted into an MBA program, your score is meaningless. The score will not affect your grades. No one will ask about it and you will face “regular” math problems. At any top 50 MBA school, you will also enjoy plenty of math, language and writing support. Focus on the rest of the application process. If you scored 680, leave well-enough alone and enjoy the ride. Hook’Em Horns!

While what you say may be true for some, it isn't for all. Elite schools and companies use the gmat as a filter, and that's just a fact. A 680 might be fine for getting into most top 50s, but might also be a guarantee for the trash bin at Mckinsey or Harvard. There are definitely some exceptional candidates with a low gmat that are granted a pass,(most of these people just apply with the gre now) but I wouldn't want to be giving myself a disadvantage right off the bat with a 680 at schools with averages 50 points higher. Those candidates are the ones being targeted by the ads, not you.

Something else to keep in mind, is that a 20 or 30 point improvement on the gmat could also be a huge matter of scholarship money, they just can't advertise "score higher and go to school for free!"

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 7

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 9

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools: McCombs
GMAT 1: 630 Q40 V40
GPA: 2.99
WE: Education (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Fear mongering by GMAT prep providers [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2017, 09:20
cxa0897, I feel you, player. I realize that higher scores may = free tuition. However, budgets are finite and there are 3 admission rounds. We all can't go to HBS and graduate into a job with McK at $200K + $50K bonus. I read many posts where students divulge their anguish over only gaining (or losing) 20 points during a second (or third) GMAT. (I feel like an Agony Aunt.)...Take a deep breath, and don't let hope conquer reality!

McCombs MBA 1990, Hook'Em Horns. I am helping my son prep for 2019, while trying to keep a 66 y.o. brain active. ;-)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 9

Re: Fear mongering by GMAT prep providers   [#permalink] 01 Dec 2017, 09:20

Fear mongering by GMAT prep providers

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap