GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 23:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Feeling discouraged about my speed of solving quant problems

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.4
Premium Member
Feeling discouraged about my speed of solving quant problems  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2017, 13:08
I am working through the GMAT OG problems for the first time using the MGMAT problem sets/quizzes, and I've noticed on the 600 to 700 level questions, my timing is way off compared to the average time for GMATClub users. Should I be concerned about this? Some of the problems seem really tricky the way they are worded, and I've never seen anything like those problems. It's taking me a little while to figure out the best approach to solving the problem. I've noticed on problems like this, it might take me 2:30 to solve it, but the average GMATClub user time is like 00:52 to solve the same problem. After redoing the problem, I can easily solve it in less than a minute, it's just that the first time around, it takes me a little while to figure out how to solve it.

So I have a few questions:
1. When it shows the average time a GMATClub user takes to answer a question, is that only for the first time they solved the problem, or does it include their second time solving it, etc?
2. If I can't solve every OG quant question the first time around in under a minute, am I most likely insufficient with my math skills?
3. Should I even worry about timing at first? I think I remember seeing a video by Ron Purewall saying that you should strive to get the correct answer to every OG question the first time around, and not worry about timing.

Thanks
e-GMAT Representative
P
Re: Feeling discouraged about my speed of solving quant problems  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2017, 23:50
atr0038 wrote:
I am working through the GMAT OG problems for the first time using the MGMAT problem sets/quizzes, and I've noticed on the 600 to 700 level questions, my timing is way off compared to the average time for GMATClub users. Should I be concerned about this? Some of the problems seem really tricky the way they are worded, and I've never seen anything like those problems. It's taking me a little while to figure out the best approach to solving the problem. I've noticed on problems like this, it might take me 2:30 to solve it, but the average GMATClub user time is like 00:52 to solve the same problem. After redoing the problem, I can easily solve it in less than a minute, it's just that the first time around, it takes me a little while to figure out how to solve it.

So I have a few questions:
1. When it shows the average time a GMATClub user takes to answer a question, is that only for the first time they solved the problem, or does it include their second time solving it, etc?
2. If I can't solve every OG quant question the first time around in under a minute, am I most likely insufficient with my math skills?
3. Should I even worry about timing at first? I think I remember seeing a video by Ron Purewall saying that you should strive to get the correct answer to every OG question the first time around, and not worry about timing.

Thanks

Hey atr0038,

In the initial phases of preparation, it is quite normal for someone to take more than the usual time to solve a question. You should not worry about it so much.

I cannot answer your first question, maybe some from gmatclub might be in a better position to answer this. Let me try an answer your 2nd and 3rd question.

2. If you are taking more than say 3-3.5 minutes to solve a question, try to understand why it took you time to solve the question? There could be a number of reasons to take more than usual time to solve the question such as -(i) could not comprehend the question while reading it for the first time or (ii) took a lot of time to recall the formula to solve the question or (iii) made a silly mistake while solving the question or (iv) missed an important point in the question stem and got the wrong answer, etc.
The above examples are just a few most frequent problems that a student faces while solving a question. Understanding the root cause of your problem will help you in channelizing your effort in improving those areas of concern. If you do this analysis properly and keep on working on them, then after some time you will surely see an improvement in your timing as well as accuracy.

3. I agree with Ron that while solving OG for the first time, one should not worry about the timing. As I said in the second point, the focus should be more on learning how to solve the questions and figuring out where one can improve.

Regards,
Saquib
e-GMAT
Quant Expert

Register for free sessions
Number Properties | Algebra |Quant Workshop

Success Stories
Guillermo's Success Story | Carrie's Success Story

Ace GMAT quant
Articles and Question to reach Q51 | Question of the week

Must Read Articles
Number Properties – Even Odd | LCM GCD
Word Problems – Percentage 1 | Percentage 2 | Time and Work 1 | Time and Work 2 | Time, Speed and Distance 1 | Time, Speed and Distance 2
Advanced Topics- Permutation and Combination 1 | Permutation and Combination 2 | Permutation and Combination 3 | Probability
Geometry- Triangles 1 | Triangles 2 | Triangles 3 | Common Mistakes in Geometry
Algebra- Wavy line

Practice Questions
Number Properties 1 | Number Properties 2 | Algebra 1 | Geometry | Prime Numbers | Absolute value equations | Sets

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manhattan Prep Instructor
G
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2017, 13:37
atr0038 wrote:

I'm not sure if it shows the first time or the average. However, I wouldn't take the timer data too seriously, just because you don't know what those users are actually doing. For instance, I sometimes forget to start the timer until I've already been looking at the question for a minute. In that case, my time would look a lot faster than it really was.

Quote:

No. If you could do that, you'd be well on your way to a Q51. But you certainly don't need to be able to do it.

That said, there are some things you should be able to do quickly. You should be able to do arithmetic, such as adding, multiplying, dividing, subtracting, factoring integers, combining a system of equations, etc. very quickly and accurately. If you can do that, you buy yourself more time to think about the problems.

You'll get faster at the 'thinking' stage as you do more problems. To speed that process up, you should spend more time reviewing the problems that you do, and asking yourself: 'what was the clue or keyword that told me to use that particular approach? How did GMATClub users manage to figure it out so quickly?' Once you identify a lot of these 'clues', you'll be able to recognize and respond to them quickly.

Quote:

Not everybody agrees on this. I've seen students succeed using either approach. My own belief, though, is that you should time yourself from the very beginning. When you do a GMAT problem without a timer, you're doing a very different task, mentally, than when you do it with a timer. Doing problems without a timer will let you get away with approaching them inefficiently. It'll also encourage you to stick with tough problems until you finish them, which you can't and shouldn't do on the test. If you train yourself to work with the timer from the very beginning, you'll be doing problems in a way that will be more useful on the actual test.

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2017, 16:02
atr0038 wrote:

I'd like to know if anyone in history has ever achieved this feat. You're setting the bar unreasonably high, my friend.

atr0038 wrote:

Thanks

I am of the opinion that you should not. Learn how to solve problems accurately and efficiently first, and speed will follow.
Re: Feeling discouraged about my speed of solving quant problems &nbs [#permalink] 30 Dec 2017, 16:02

Feeling discouraged about my speed of solving quant problems

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap