Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
WE:Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 117
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.72
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
First Attempt 670 / 42Q / 40V. Retake? [#permalink]
Thanks for the replies. Yes the questions in the OG were rather weak. I knew that on test day I would be faced with mostly difficult questions. The questions should really have a difficulty rating.

I should have spent a little more time studying for this (mba says the average study time for this range is 100+ hours.... I spent maybe 20 over 3 days). I needed to review quant concepts and maybe do some practice tests; I've been out of school for awhile now. I have a degree in Economics/International Development and I've been working as a Business Analyst for JPMorgan Chase for some years now.

I'm certain I can break 700 with relative ease but I don't know if it will even make a difference regarding my applications. I guess at this point it's best to speak with a recruiter directly. Either way, I'm tempted to retake it simply to see what I can actually achieve...

Originally posted by BasX on 22 Mar 2016, 14:10.
Last edited by BasX on 22 Mar 2016, 14:18, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: First Attempt 670 / 42Q / 40V. Retake? [#permalink]
Don't forget the GMAT is a means to an end, and therefore whether or not you should retake the test depends on which B-school you are targeting. 670 is good enough for you to get into most tier 2 programs, but if you are targeting the top tier, you will need to re-write. With your strong verbal aptitude it's likely that you will improve your score significantly.
If you're not sure which school you want to apply to and you have time, re-writing would be a good idea because a better score will give you more options and a greater chance for acceptance.
In my situation, I studied, wrote the test, and scored a 660. I knew I could have done better (based on practice tests and knowing that I had missed problems that I could have got), but the school I was targeting in Canada admitted an average GMAT below what I had scored. So instead of re-writing the test I turned my attention to the remainder of the application and in particular towards submitting my application as early as possible. It worked out and I was admitted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
BasX wrote:
Hey all,

First post. I took the GMAT earlier today after studying all weekend and my scores surprised me. To be honest I didn't think I'd get so high on verbal and I really didn't expect my quant to be so low. I didn't really have much of a problem with the quant questions from the guide. Either way, is it worth going to retake the test with this? How will schools view this?

what percentile was your Quant? how many practice tests did you take?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I am also in Canada and was considering either Rothman at U of T or HEC Montreal. Now I can't be sure about this but I think it will be more an issue with Rothman (I don't expect any difficulty with HEC).

The percentile is what concerns me the most: 91st percentile in verbal and 60th percentile for quant. I mean I MUST have made some really careless mistakes in that section. Overall I'm 82nd.

I didn't take any practice tests. Just reviewed some questions from the guide.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
According to the latest MBA Review by Canada Business, the average GMAT at HEC is 638, and Rotman 673. These are average scores so you can probably make it in to either program with your 670 as long as the rest of your application is solid.
When are you planning to apply?
If you are targeting 2016 intake, then you're best to get you application submitted ASAP. But if you're looking at 2017, then you have plenty of time to retake the test. Since most schools consider only your highest GMAT score, retaking the exam wouldn't hurt if you have time. A higher GMAT score MIGHT help your chances for admission, AND increase the entrance award offered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
WE:Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
I did almost all the questions in OG and looking back I really think it was a waste of time. I'd rather do more practice tests and focus on the difficult questions only. If you ever retake, at least do a practice test. Your quant is quite low and might be a problem. If it's the other way around, I'd say you're fine
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
BasX wrote:
The percentile is what concerns me the most: 91st percentile in verbal and 60th percentile for quant. I mean I MUST have made some really careless mistakes in that section. Overall I'm 82nd.

I think you should take it again. I would normally ask why you took the exam with close to zero prep, but your score is good, and no one can argue with that.

A little bit of effort now will, however, make things easier for you, and (maybe) get you thinking about options that you haven't yet considered.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Expert Reply
With the minimal preparations you had, it may be a good idea to spend more time preparing for a re-take. If you believe you can easily break 700+, you should do so especially if you are aiming for the top programs, it could boost your chances for admissions, and scholarship odds.

Wish you all the best!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi BasX,

First off, a 670 is a strong score, so it could be enough to get you into the two Schools that you listed. As such, a retest might not be necessary. You're ultimately asking Admissions questions though, so you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of them here:

ask-admission-consultants-124/

If you're not facing an impending application deadline, there's a great 'upside' to studying for a bit and retesting. Assuming that you can repeat that same approximate Verbal performance, there are a bunch of potential points waiting for you in the Quant section - and a much higher score would almost certainly improve your chances at getting acceptable (and put you in position for potential Scholarship money). With a Q42, your issue was NOT "hard" questions though - you would have made a bunch of little mistakes on gettable questions and missed out on a lot of 'strategy-based' points (especially on DS). All of that should be easy enough to improve on, but you'll likely need to invest in some new study materials and put in a bit of study time.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
GMAT 1: 620 Q36 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
BasX wrote:

I think you should take it again. I would normally ask why you took the exam with close to zero prep, but your score is good, and no one can argue with that.

A little bit of effort now will, however, make things easier for you, and (maybe) get you thinking about options that you haven't yet considered.

Always good advice from this guy.

If what you're saying is true about barely studying and getting that score, then you should put in an honest effort and get a score that you think you're worthy of, even if your score is high enough to get in. I was in a similar boat but my score was lower on the first try and I debated just like you and also had a low quant and a 2 in IR. In retrospect, rewriting was the best thing I could have done since it basically took out the suspense from the application process by being way over the average. Now if you killed yourself to get a 670 and think you reached your peak then I'd stick with it. Also, don't forget about scholarship opportunities. That's what I didn't consider and rewriting paid for itself many times over. Also, people usually don't want to rewrite because they spend the last 3 months studying and just want it to be over, that's not the case for you.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
The thing that we don't know from the OP is whether or not they are facing an imminent application deadline.
If there is no deadline, then clearly much can be gained by re-writing and performing at a higher level (ideally a better score overall score, and if nothing else a more balanced score). This would result in better chances for admission and better entrance award. If there is a deadline then it may be more beneficial to submit the application with the GMAT as is, particularly if the score is already above the school's average for admission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts