Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:15 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: First CAT 580 (no prep) - Is 700 reachable within 2 months? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Upandcoming700

When it comes to Sentence Correction problems, here are four skills that can help:

1. Patience - don't jump the gun. For the hardest SC questions, you'll need to go through a few steps before you're ready to answer.
2. Meaning - SC questions are rarely only grammatical. Be sure you understand what the original sentence is trying to convey. This will help you rule out answers that don't make sense or violate the logic or meaning of the sentence.
3. Attention to detail
4. Don't just use your gut or 'ear' to select an answer choice. Try to eliminate incorrect answer choices systematically.

There are several tools you can use to help you tackle the sentence correction problems. The Economist GMAT Tutor, for example, presents you with practice questions that incrementally get harder, testing one concept at a time and then in combination. As you progress, you will have a chance to identify these structures in more and more complex sentences.

Best of luck on your journey to 700!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
As non-native English speaker, you may find it difficult to see sentence structures a certain way. We recommend intensely focusing in on SC first -- sentence sentence structure concepts can help you read faster and comprehend more in the CR and RC sections.

See if videos such as this one are helpful: https://www.gmatpill.com/sentencecorrect ... ythons.mp4
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Economist and GMAT Pill!

I got a ATH of 35 on the verbal section on my CAT yesterday, and I had a great increase in SC accuracy.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Dear upandcoming,

to reach 700 or more points your preparation is the key to success! You MUST prepare in a way that identifies and eliminates your personal weaknesses. The best way to do so is private tutoring because your tutor will focus his entire attention to your needs! Please visit the following link to learn more about Optimus Prep's unique approach:

https://www.optimus-prep.com/our-unique-approach

If you have a limited budget you should consider a self study course. Our 180+ hours on demand course can def. help you and we offer a 50 points score improvement or full refund guarantee!

Please visit the following link to learn more about Optimus Prep's on demand course: https://www.optimus-prep.com/gmat-on-demand-course

Please contact our support if you are interested in a free 7 days trial account.

Your goal is doable but needs the right preparation. The baddest thing you can do is to waste time...
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Expert Reply
Upandcoming700 wrote:
Thanks Economist and GMAT Pill!

I got a ATH of 35 on the verbal section on my CAT yesterday, and I had a great increase in SC accuracy.

Great news about the increase in SC! Just keep reviewing your error log and working on your weaknesses, and you'll continue to see progress.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Well.. I took the GMAT today..
Unfortunately, it did not work out for me. I got 590 (Q41, V30).. 50 points below my most recent CAT before the exam 640 (Q45, V34).

Although I felt the GMAT's quant section were a little harder than that of GMAT prep's, I found myself struggling with very basic things during the first quant questions. This inevitably increased my nervousness further, and I found myself guessing on more questions than I usually do in the quant section.
On the verbal section I had bad timing, especially in the RC passages, and I had no clear strategy for SC, which I believe is reflected in the score.

However, the encounter today might be valuable when revising my study plan and strategy for my next appointment in february.

I will not give up on my endeavor to the holy 700s.... :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Hello,

I am sorry that you did not achieve your target school. However, this is part of the process and I like your motivation to continue!

Maybe Optimus Prep's on demand course is interesting for you or any other test re-taker because of our 50 points score improvement or full refund policy!

We have currently a special offer and you can buy the course for only $199!

Please visit the following link if you are interested: https://www.optimus-prep.com/gmat-on-demand-course

If you have further questions or want a free trial account please contact our support!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Given Kudos: 102
Send PM
How about the difficulty level for the verbal questions? How many RCs you got? were you able to complete verbal on time without guessing?

Upandcoming700 wrote:
Well.. I took the GMAT today..
Unfortunately, it did not work out for me. I got 590 (Q41, V30).. 50 points below my most recent CAT before the exam 640 (Q45, V34).

Although I felt the GMAT's quant section were a little harder than that of GMAT prep's, I found myself struggling with very basic things during the first quant questions. This inevitably increased my nervousness further, and I found myself guessing on more questions than I usually do in the quant section.
On the verbal section I had bad timing, especially in the RC passages, and I had no clear strategy for SC, which I believe is reflected in the score.

However, the encounter today might be valuable when revising my study plan and strategy for my next appointment in february.

I will not give up on my endeavor to the holy 700s.... :)
GMAT Club Bot